Mccain = Flip-flop Machine

This is where they lost credibility with me. The people in those states aren't environmentally conscious, they are environmentally *selfish*. Their attitude is "I got mine, now the rest of you stop wrecking my bit of nature" -- ignoring their own impact. They are NIMBYs, not environmentalists. There is a difference.
in fairness, their overall point....that this could cost him in CAli and Florida.... is true. just the way the describe Floridians and Californians is suspect.and as someone who lives in Miami.....it is not possible to find a group of more stupid, selfish and lazy people than Floridians. As much as I love things about being here, my wife and I are looking to bolt as soon as I finish up law school. Everything about the general pop in Miami drives me up the wall.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a terrible year to be a republican. Only democrats are running for office. (including McCain of course)Where are all the conservative republicans? The "republicans" totally screwed up in 2000-2004. They could have done the right thing and they screwed us. sigh.There won't be another republican president now until probably around 2020. FU morons!

This is a terrible year to be a republican. Only democrats are running for office. (including McCain of course)Where are all the conservative republicans? The "republicans" totally screwed up in 2000-2004. They could have done the right thing and they screwed us. sigh.There won't be another republican president now until probably around 2020. FU morons!
At least you recognize that this is all of conservatives own making. You had your shot really from 2000-2006 to run the country any way you wanted-----and you blew it on all counts. Conservatives managed to make Democrats look like spend-thrifts....all while setting new bars for corruption (and # of congressman who have homosexual scandals).Not to mention if you take the normal political hot buttons---economy/budget deficits, foreign policy, national security/military, health care, education, social security, immigration, etc......you would be very very very hard pressed to find one (ONE!!!!) where we are better off now than we were in 2000.That is a failure on a Hindenburgian level. I agree completely with Rupert Murdoch that the GOP is going to get annihilated this fall. Obama wins a tight race and the Democrats substantially increase their majorities in both houses.Also, let the record show that the Democrats have done nothing good of their own to deserve this windall....they have just proven (at the moment) to be the lesser of two evils.
Conservatives managed to make Democrats look like spend-thrifts....all while setting new bars for corruption
This is hyperbole. The bar for corruption was set so high, long, long ago, that no party can really make it go to new levels. They did set a new bars for imbalance of executive power and authority and disregard of constitutional law, however.
This is hyperbole. The bar for corruption was set so high, long, long ago, that no party can really make it go to new levels. They did set a new bars for imbalance of executive power and authority and disregard of constitutional law, however.
fair enough. you understood what I was saying.....and in a lot of ways I consider the executive power grab to be a form of corruption. I still agree with your point.
I really like you.
At least you recognize that this is all of conservatives own making. You had your shot really from 2000-2006 to run the country any way you wanted-----and you blew it on all counts. Conservatives managed to make Democrats look like spend-thrifts....all while setting new bars for corruption (and # of congressman who have homosexual scandals).Not to mention if you take the normal political hot buttons---economy/budget deficits, foreign policy, national security/military, health care, education, social security, immigration, etc......you would be very very very hard pressed to find one (ONE!!!!) where we are better off now than we were in 2000.That is a failure on a Hindenburgian level. I agree completely with Rupert Murdoch that the GOP is going to get annihilated this fall. Obama wins a tight race and the Democrats substantially increase their majorities in both houses.Also, let the record show that the Democrats have done nothing good of their own to deserve this windall....they have just proven (at the moment) to be the lesser of two evils.
you seem nice as well.
I have to give you credit.. my post was an extremely veiled and subtle dig at bush.. I don't mention him, and I don't even allude to any of his decisions, but you still were able to see where I was going with my post . I have to give you credit for an excellent read.
I knew you were trying to mislead me with the subtle Junior Senator from Kansas undertones, but I didn't bite.
I knew you were trying to mislead me with the subtle Junior Senator from Kansas undertones, but I didn't bite.
wasn't mcCarthy from minnesota? lemme wiki real fast.. Nope, he was from Wisconson.. I'm not sure whom you're talking about from Kansas, the only senator I've ever known from Kansas was bob dole.
I've heard that the whole "voted before/against it" kerry thing was just an out of context snippet. either way, kudos to the right for successfully painting that picture.
Many of those sound bites are out of context, I agree.But it's kind of hard to try to say that the words coming out of his mouth were taken out of context. It wasn't a mulitple meaning sentence.But whether he said it that way or not, you got to give him credit for blowing an easy win election. An unpopular president, unpopular war, bad economy, hatred for our country across the globe, maybe the universe...and Kerry tanked it.
wasn't mcCarthy from minnesota? lemme wiki real fast.. Nope, he was from Wisconson.. I'm not sure whom you're talking about from Kansas, the only senator I've ever known from Kansas was bob dole.
Bob Dole wasn't the junior senator...You trying to throw me off your subtle jabs at Rush Limbaugh now?
But whether he said it that way or not, you got to give him credit for blowing an easy win election. An unpopular president, unpopular war, bad economy, hatred for our country across the globe, maybe the universe...and Kerry tanked it.
Can't argue with that, a huge choke.
Plus -- judging by Church-produced cartoons I watched as a child -- he wore flip-flops.
That was funny.However...I'm not known here for having a good sense of what is funny and what isn't so it may not be.Made me laugh though.
Many of those sound bites are out of context, I agree.But it's kind of hard to try to say that the words coming out of his mouth were taken out of context. It wasn't a mulitple meaning sentence.But whether he said it that way or not, you got to give him credit for blowing an easy win election. An unpopular president, unpopular war, bad economy, hatred for our country across the globe, maybe the universe...and Kerry tanked it.
yeah, a friend of mine who worked on the hill during that time saw a transcript of whatever it was kerry was blabbering about. we could never find a source for it, though. agree wholeheartedly on kerry being a terrible, terrible candidate.
But whether he said it that way or not, you got to give him credit for blowing an easy win election. An unpopular president, unpopular war, bad economy, hatred for our country across the globe, maybe the universe...and Kerry tanked it.
truer words were never spoken. if I was Kerry, I would be a bit embarrassed. The worst part is he lost that election because he was a pussy. If he had stood up to the swift boat stuff and went after Bush more he probably would have won.fwiw, this country would be a lot better off if republicans were actual republicans again. More Chuck Hagels, less Mitch McConnells. Thats a party I could get behind (45% of the time).
While this may be true or may not be (how in the world can we know for sure if we are more or less secure?), the majority of these are not basically unchanged no matter who the president is or congress is. The Democrats controlled congress for what... 40+ years in row? Why didn't they do anything, especially when they had a democrat president those years? If you youtube the vice presidential debate between Al Gore and Dan Quayle from 1992 it's some HIGH comedy... and it's not because Quayle is an idiot. (because he's not) Al Gore is talking about universal health care, bringing America together, the environment, etc etc etc. Well? They had 8 years, and didn't do anything that he talked about. I guess the democrats wanted to run on those same issues in 2000 2004 2008? I'm not trying to rip on Democrats, only to point out that nobody ever doesn't anything. Congress is the key. We need to have term limits on these idiots.
While this may be true or may not be (how in the world can we know for sure if we are more or less secure?), the majority of these are not basically unchanged no matter who the president is or congress is. The Democrats controlled congress for what... 40+ years in row? Why didn't they do anything, especially when they had a democrat president those years? If you youtube the vice presidential debate between Al Gore and Dan Quayle from 1992 it's some HIGH comedy... and it's not because Quayle is an idiot. (because he's not) Al Gore is talking about universal health care, bringing America together, the environment, etc etc etc. Well? They had 8 years, and didn't do anything that he talked about. I guess the democrats wanted to run on those same issues in 2000 2004 2008? I'm not trying to rip on Democrats, only to point out that nobody ever doesn't anything. Congress is the key. We need to have term limits on these idiots.
In fairness, Gore and Clinton spent the entire 2nd half of their presidency (which is when you are supposed to accomplish your tougher goals because you dont have to worry about re-election anymore) defending against the Lewinsky stuff. And thats Clinton's fault for being just a shade above a sexual predator.Just as Bush would have loved to do some "legacy" stuff in his 2nd term but he cant because....well.....everyone hates him so much that he torpedoed the party and ensured that nothing he wants to do will get done.I agree the Congress never accomplishes anything....but I guess my overriding point is that Democrats mostly do nothing while neo-conservatives made things worse. Neither option is appealing but I will take no effect over bad effect. And as flawed as Clinton was, he balanced the budget which makes a country healthy financially. Reasonable people can disagree over the merits of trying to spread democracy in the middle east (not that that was there original goal in Iraq, sigh) but I dont think anyone is happy about how much the war is costing. It is killing our economy by making our deficits skyrocket. Of course, thats what happens when you are the first country in the history of the ****ING world to go to war and lower taxes at the same time. Support the troops, my ass. Sun Tzu is spinning in his grave.Oh, and term limits for congressman is a great idea. Just so you know we agree on a few things.
agree with a lot of what you say. However, I think that there are a number of clear issues (off-shore drilling, Bush's tax cuts, oil windfall taxes) where he has clearly flip-flopped. In the case of the windfall tax, he definitely flip-flopped just to take a swipe at Obama (egregious imo).
the offshore drilling issue is a bit different when oil is $40/bb vs $140/bb. If his position didnt change hed be an idiot. His opposition to the Bush tax cuts in May 2001, before 9/11, was probably wrong. Opposing them in todays economy would be asinine.Windfall profits I'll have to research more to see what he really said about them.
the offshore drilling issue is a bit different when oil is $40/bb vs $140/bb. If his position didnt change hed be an idiot. His opposition to the Bush tax cuts in May 2001, before 9/11, was probably wrong. Opposing them in todays economy would be asinine.Windfall profits I'll have to research more to see what he really said about them.
call me asinine then. I think it is a huge fallacy to think wide spread tax cuts automatically help the economy. certainly stupid when we are fighting two wars. especially tax cuts for the uber rich. i dont think it is a coincidence that the economy has tanked with these "amazing" tax cuts in place. (of course the way they let corporations regulate themselves doesnt help....oversight of the mortgage industry please?)most of what I have read about offshore drilling states that it would take years and years for it to have ANY effect on our gas prices and even then it would be a nominal effect. not sure it makes one idiot to value the environment over more drilling for little result. focusing on alternative sources and imposing gas mileage minimums on car companies seems wiser to me.you seem pretty sure that the Bush Administration has a lot of things right when the evidence is to the contrary.
call me asinine then. I think it is a huge fallacy to think wide spread tax cuts automatically help the economy. certainly stupid when we are fighting two wars. especially tax cuts for the uber rich. i dont think it is a coincidence that the economy has tanked with these "amazing" tax cuts in place. (of course the way they let corporations regulate themselves doesnt help....oversight of the mortgage industry please?)most of what I have read about offshore drilling states that it would take years and years for it to have ANY effect on our gas prices and even then it would be a nominal effect. not sure it makes one idiot to value the environment over more drilling for little result. focusing on alternative sources and imposing gas mileage minimums on car companies seems wiser to me.you seem pretty sure that the Bush Administration has a lot of things right when the evidence is to the contrary.
Well you are simply wrong about tax cuts, thats been proven in every tax cut including Kennedy's and Clinton's. If we had started drilling years ago, not abandoned nuclear power and built refineries when it was obvious that the ME could hold our economy hostage we wouldnt be in the mess we're in now, but its never too late to start. "Nominal effect" is horse manure Democrat talking points. ANWR alone would offset 10% of our imports from SA, which would have a huge impact on actual supply and perhaps more importantly the speculation that is driving a lot of the increase in crude prices.The Bush Administration has been right far more often than wrong. Right on tax cuts, right on Iraq, right on Afghanistan, no attacks here since 9/11, steering the economy through the Clinton recession and 9/11. Wrong on prescription drugs and too little leadership on energy. The negative environmental impact of offshore drilling, shale recovery and ANWR and MMGW are hippie nonsense that is far outweighed by economic survival. If BHO wins you will see what recessions are all about.
Which is precisely why we wanted to open up the ANWR during the clinton years. So by the time we really needed it (like now), we'd already be well on our way.Dems other rebuttal to drilling is that oil companies currently have 68 million acres of land under lease, not being drilled on or explored. Dems say we should go after that instead. Just stupid.Do you understand that if we would have started drilling in ANWR back then, we would be starting to see the effects now? And you're still against drilling?You need to be more precise. Are you against drilling because of the environmental impact, or are you against it because of the timetable involved between now and when we see a difference at the pump?