Yeah, what they said. The Ali G movie was ridiculous (although I found it entertaining for the first 30 minutes or so), but it was also a fictional movie, not a documentary. On a related note, I feel like Borat and Bruno (the movies) aren't exactly "mockumentaries," since that usually describes Christopher-Guest-type-stuff. I think they're pretty close to just straight documentaries, albeit with the host in character the entire time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what they said. The Ali G movie was ridiculous (although I found it entertaining for the first 30 minutes or so), but it was also a fictional movie, not a documentary. On a related note, I feel like Borat and Bruno (the movies) aren't exactly "mockumentaries," since that usually describes Christopher-Guest-type-stuff. I think they're pretty close to just straight documentaries, albeit with the host in character the entire time.
I think that Joaquin Phoenix's Documentary is going to take that to a new level..

I don't think he could ever top Borat but this was close.They interviewed the girl that did the anal bleaching today on KROQ and she said she had no idea that it was Cohen when she was doing it, and she had seen Borat. She was told that it was being filmed for Austrian TV.

I think the next step will be an Ali G talk show in the states. He did it in England with good success, all the guests knew what he was up to but hes still genius enough to make a good show

I think the next step will be an Ali G talk show in the states. He did it in England with good success, all the guests knew what he was up to but hes still genius enough to make a good show
He already did 2 seasons of it for HBO.

Watched this last night. Didn't like it as much as Borat but suspect that's because I hadn't seen/heard much about Borat before seeing it but had heard of almost all of Bruno. I still laughed a ton though and laughed again thinking about it this morning which caused me to cut myself shaving.

The focus group killed me...the there's always one in the group...there's always two in the group

The focus group killed me...the there's always one in the group...there's always two in the group

I'm not sure we need spoilers for this movie.My favorite part of the focus group, maybe one of my favorites in the whole movie, was when Bruno storms into the room. I forget the exact quote, but one of the old guys sees him, leans back, and mutters, "Oooooooh shit." Killed me.
yeah, but it also was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Sure. But he was poor and needed money.
I think that Joaquin Phoenix's Documentary is going to take that to a new level..
Agreed. I have a very good feeling about it.
so you think he's faking it?
correct. His brother has been at every major 'scene' filming with a hand-held HD camera.
so you think he's faking it?
100 percent. I think he probably is crazy to do something like this, but not crazy in the way he's projecting.
correct. His brother has been at every major 'scene' filming with a hand-held HD camera.
Brother-in-law casey affleck.
100 percent. I think he probably is crazy to do something like this, but not crazy in the way he's projecting. Brother-in-law casey affleck.
I want a new god damn casey affleck movie
  • 4 weeks later...

It's difficult to describe how I feel about Bruno. Borat's definitely the funnier of the two, but part of me thinks the point of Bruno was to laugh at the audience, rather than the movie.I mean I've never had to watch most of a movie like a little girl before - squirming and through my fingers.Either way, it definitely had its hilarious moments and it had its social commentary, so I consider it a success.I just hope I never see a talking penis ever again.