The Bowling Thread

Updates! How's everyone bowling? What are you all throwing?I've been inconsistent, but physically I'm throwing the ball as good or better than I ever have. Been rotating equipment based on my look in practice. Been going with a Columbia Pure Swing laid out weak with the surface taken down which is super readable but not that strong, a Storm Fast if I want to play straighter up the boards, and old reliable, my Storm Pyro drilled label with the surface at about 1000 grit. That's my go-to when I get lost and a great benchmark ball. Average is sitting at 201 right now.How about the rest of you?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I found this thread!I've been at a plateau for two years now. My 175 average is about 15 pins under the league average. I had my first 600 series of the year last week (670) including my higest game ever 278, and we just started our final "third".I enjoy the game and am glad people contribute to the thread.Good luck with the rest of the season everyone!

Shot a super disappointing 626 last night. 210 - 230 - 186, lost the second two games by a combined 3 sticks. 10th frame of the 2nd game I whiffed a 6 - 8 in the 10th for 230 and my opponent picked up a 6-7-10 to beat me by one. Third game I miss two easy spares in the middle of the game after starting off with a 4-bagger, opponent picks up a 5 - 7 and ends up beating me by 2. Brutal. Spares make the money I guess. Team still took 17 out of 21, so not a horrible night, but should've been a lot better.

The second of the three big local tourneys was last night. Top 12 move on to 2nd day, my good friend is a chick and was bowling the tourney with the guys and got on the news for it. It was 8 games day 1, and after 7 the cut was +5. I was -7 (with 3 games under 172 and 4 over 214) and I thought I had a decent chance if I shoot 2teens. I shoot 205 and finish -2. I should add that including brackets, the tourney cost me $200. I also bought half of my friend for $60 and then $110 in brackets for her (I invest in whoever I think will make me money). She shoots 258 last game to finish +29...she should be good, right???NOPECut made the biggest jump I have ever seen a cut make ever. It jumped from +5 to +37!!! and she finished 15th and I finished 18th.The third tourney is this weekend and then my tourney season is over (except for college singles)I DID just order a Reign and an Invasion.I get balls for $80 through college and since this is my last year of college bowling, I plan on buying 10-14 balls at end of year to store up for next few years if I ever need a new ball. Will save me lots of money long run.My average is rising from earlier this year but still lower than last year. I am averaging 206.4 and 208.4 in my two leagues.

Team still took 17 out of 21, so not a horrible night, but should've been a lot better.
Our league only has a possible 7 points every week. 2 for each game and 1 for total pins. We have 5 man teams 100% off of 200 for handicap. How does the 21 points breakdown?Thanks for the info.

I am in 2 leagues. One is a 4point system, other is the traditional Pederson scoring system (30 pts)4pter is 1 per game and 1 for series.30 pter is 1 per individual game, 4 for team game and 3 for team series.

I am in 2 leagues. One is a 4point system, other is the traditional Pederson scoring system (30 pts)4pter is 1 per game and 1 for series.30 pter is 1 per individual game, 4 for team game and 3 for team series.
Thanks for the imput!I think I should buy a lotto ticket - I'm a 176 average and shot 201-246-201 = 648 last night!

I got my Reign and Invasion drilled...I bowled rock and bowl 2 nights ago...it was semi-dry so I didn't get a good look with the Invasion but it was losing its energy very early. I think I may have to polish that bad boy up. The Reign is going to be my favorite ball in the arsenal. Sweetest reaction I can imagine. That being said, I shot 298 in the dark of rock and bowl using my Total NV (the ball I shot 300 with last month) missed into the oil and left a 2-5 on 12th...oops. I followed it up with 2 220's and then 2 160's lefthanded haha.

• 2 weeks later...
Our league only has a possible 7 points every week. 2 for each game and 1 for total pins. We have 5 man teams 100% off of 200 for handicap. How does the 21 points breakdown?Thanks for the info.
Sorry for the delayed response. We have 4-man teams, and you're matched up against the guy on the other team that bowls in the same slot as you. Each individual game is worth 1 point, and team total is worth 3 points. So there are 7 possible points each game (4 individual points and 3 team points).

I've been gone quite awhile but glad the thread is still going strong! I stopped bowling from April til November when my buddy talked me into replacing a guy on his team who couldn't bowl anymore. I am at 216 for 39 games and am 222 for 18 games subbing at a different house on Wednesdays....I actually am subbing tonight. I drilled up a new ball by Motiv called the TR2. I've been throwing that a lot as well as my Roto Grip "Cell", the original one. I'm going to nationals in Reno in March so I will need a couple new pieces by then.

Sorry for the delayed response. We have 4-man teams, and you're matched up against the guy on the other team that bowls in the same slot as you. Each individual game is worth 1 point, and team total is worth 3 points. So there are 7 possible points each game (4 individual points and 3 team points).
I bowl in a league exactly like this but it's 28 pts. It is 7 (4 individual and 3 for total) for each of the 3 games and 7 for total.

Sigh, NDSU bowling officially missed sectionals (top 64) for first time in its 4 years of existence. The team really lacked a sense of leadership from the bowlers as last years captain was myself and our spirited leader was our power lefty who took this year off from bowling. We had NO depth either and it showed. Two bowlers did alright, 2 were decent fillers, and then we had 4 bowlers who just weren't ready to be starting on a college team. Having to find one to fill the 5th spot was a chore that never worked out. The team ended up ranked 73rd in nation...worst in a longggg time. It was my first year coaching and there is lots of room for myself to improve as well to help the team out.The good news is going to next year, we look to have a PHENOMENAL class coming in. Two of the top 50 jr bowlers in country (one I would guess is top 20...maybe higher) will be at NDSU. A kid who has bowled 2 PBA regionals in his life and has taken 2nd and 3rd will be joining the team, a few minneapolis recruits I don't know a whole bunch about, and a kid from Iowa. Also we are getting a high revving lefty transfer from South Dakota State, and our power lefty and leader for next year will be returning after taking this year off. I would not be surprised if we crack top 10 in country next year!I didn't bowl all four years of singles sectionals, so myself and the 2 good NDSU bowlers are still going to Las Vegas for singles in 2 weeks. My last hurrah!And nice to see you back, CBass, I was wondering where you went off to.

Sigh, NDSU bowling officially missed sectionals (top 64) for first time in its 4 years of existence. The team really lacked a sense of leadership from the bowlers as last years captain was myself and our spirited leader was our power lefty who took this year off from bowling. We had NO depth either and it showed. Two bowlers did alright, 2 were decent fillers, and then we had 4 bowlers who just weren't ready to be starting on a college team. Having to find one to fill the 5th spot was a chore that never worked out. The team ended up ranked 73rd in nation...worst in a longggg time. It was my first year coaching and there is lots of room for myself to improve as well to help the team out.The good news is going to next year, we look to have a PHENOMENAL class coming in. Two of the top 50 jr bowlers in country (one I would guess is top 20...maybe higher) will be at NDSU. A kid who has bowled 2 PBA regionals in his life and has taken 2nd and 3rd will be joining the team, a few minneapolis recruits I don't know a whole bunch about, and a kid from Iowa. Also we are getting a high revving lefty transfer from South Dakota State, and our power lefty and leader for next year will be returning after taking this year off. I would not be surprised if we crack top 10 in country next year!I didn't bowl all four years of singles sectionals, so myself and the 2 good NDSU bowlers are still going to Las Vegas for singles in 2 weeks. My last hurrah!And nice to see you back, CBass, I was wondering where you went off to.
I wish bowling was much more popular at more colleges. I always wondered if I would have been able to bowl while in college. Though I will say I got better because once I turned 18 I started to bowl adult for the jackpots and it is truly amazing what money does as far as motivation. Then my next motivation was to just dominate this one league I bowled in cause the people there just weren't very nice. The type that would clap cause I left a solid 10 pin and their teammate won. So for 10 weeks straight I decided to win at least one jackpot and some nights took a couple. Ahh I wish I could be bowling again. Sorry for the pure nonsense just really miss bowling but with a new son and a new house that is something that I have had to cut out. Good luck in las vegas.
  • 1 month later...

so have you guys been back to bowling yet? for me I practiced a few times a few weeks ago. But no where near consistant and don't really know when I will be able to put in some serious time bowling. on a side not do a lot of you use switch grips? I notice more and more pros every week using them.

so have you guys been back to bowling yet? for me I practiced a few times a few weeks ago. But no where near consistant and don't really know when I will be able to put in some serious time bowling. on a side not do a lot of you use switch grips? I notice more and more pros every week using them.
I use and LOVE switch grips.I am ANAL about my thumb hole being the same on everything except my spare ball (That thumb is tighter than the rest so i can throw it harder)I will never go back to non-switchgrips.As for bowling...we have one week left in the regular season, barely hanging on to the last wild card spot for the finals which is in 2 Wednesdays. I suck...but season is almost done and I can put my equipment away for the summer...
Last night of my scratch league tonight. Been pretty inconsistent the last few weeks, hoping to nail it down tonight and take home some good money.I use Switch Grips in everything except my spare ball. Did it in my spare ball for awhile, but I didn't like it. Love having them in everything else.
I use and LOVE switch grips.I am ANAL about my thumb hole being the same on everything except my spare ball (That thumb is tighter than the rest so i can throw it harder)I will never go back to non-switchgrips.As for bowling...we have one week left in the regular season, barely hanging on to the last wild card spot for the finals which is in 2 Wednesdays. I suck...but season is almost done and I can put my equipment away for the summer...
I always find that funny that people who have 4 season only bowl in the winter months as the summer they get out and do thing. In Hawaii where the weather is always summer we bowl year round. I first found this out from my friend who lives in vegas and said that the summer leagues are a lot smaller than the winter ones and that is when he explained it to me. I am really wanting to get back into bowling and thinking about switching to the switchgrips also.
I always find that funny that people who have 4 season only bowl in the winter months as the summer they get out and do thing. In Hawaii where the weather is always summer we bowl year round. I first found this out from my friend who lives in vegas and said that the summer leagues are a lot smaller than the winter ones and that is when he explained it to me. I am really wanting to get back into bowling and thinking about switching to the switchgrips also.
Our priorities are a bit different here :club:
  • 6 months later...

Bowled for first time since April 9 days ago...I wasn't in the mood to bowl to start season so I skipped first 6 weeks of league. After that practice sesh, my body sure felt it the next few days. Anyways...bowled league 3 days ago for first time this year and shot 255-232-227=714 out of the gate...guess I didn't forget how to bowl.