Serious Thread, Seriously, All Opinions Must Be Serious.

If you think that I learned anything about finance from that class you would be wrong. I'm also well versed in finances. The whole point is for accountability. This weeks task for me was start a bank account in a bank I don't currently use and deposit $1000 into a money market account. This is the start of my 'emergency' fund which I need to treat as insurance instead of an investment. Over time this fund should be 6 months worth of expenses, which is about $50k give or take. I have never done this until this week. I save 12% of every check in my 401K, but I've never had a savings / emergency fund. If it's your task for the week, then it's easy to implement.
You're better off in short term CD's right now. Money markets aren't paying squat.
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're better off in short term CD's right now. Money markets aren't paying squat.
You're not reading again. The emergency account is for emergencies. You can't use the money for emergencies if it's locked into a CD. This account is to be looked at as insurance. You don't expect a return on insurance. Investing is a totally separate part of the class.
Worse, she is headed for an ass whoopin she don't get her shit together. Nuff said. And,my needs are not irrelevant, far from it. If that was the case, the scripture would have said,"Likewise, wives, don't worry. Your husband needs nothing. The end."
sigh. Dude you can't be this dense. I've already gone over this. The Bible has instructions for both people, of course. Which one will God hold you accountable for? I'm pretty confident that he won't hold you accountable for the things your wife is supposed to do. He will hold you accountable for the things YOU are supposed to do.
You're not reading again. The emergency account is for emergencies. You can't use the money for emergencies if it's locked into a CD. This account is to be looked at as insurance. You don't expect a return on insurance. Investing is a totally separate part of the class.
That's not true at all. You just sell the CD. I work for a brokerage, dude. This shit is easy. You can do it on the internet.
sigh. Dude you can't be this dense. I've already gone over this. The Bible has instructions for both people, of course. Which one will God hold you accountable for? I'm pretty confident that he won't hold you accountable for the things your wife is supposed to do. He will hold you accountable for the things YOU are supposed to do.
Does it matter when I am not following Gods will anyway? Also, I was mostly joking, but not really. If both people in the relationship are not held to the same standard the standard is worthless, and I mean NOW not on judgement day. Wait....shhhhhh... I hear her pulling in now. Please don't tell her that I was talking to you guys. I will be in so much trouble.
That's not true at all. You just sell the CD. I work for a brokerage, dude. This shit is easy. You can do it on the internet.
Certificates of deposit (or CDs for short) are debt instruments issued by banks and other financial institutions to investors. In exchange for lending the institution money for a predetermined length of time, the investor is paid a set rate of interest. Maturities on certificates of deposit can range from only a few weeks to several years with the interest rate earned by the investor increasing in proportion to the time his capital is tied up in the investment.Pros: The investor can calculate his expected earnings at the outset of the investment. Certificates of deposited are FDIC insured for up to $100,000 and offer an easy solution for the elderly who desire only to maintain their capital for the remainder of their life.Cons: If the investor opts for a longer maturity and, thus, higher rate of interest, he will lose access to his funds and forgo alternative uses of his capital.In the right corner: money marketsMoney markets, on the other hand, offer many of the same benefits as certificates of deposit with the added features of a checking account. Technically speaking, a money market is more or less a mutual fund that attempts to keep its share price at a constant $1. Professional money managers will take the funds deposited in the money market and invest them in government t-bills, savings bonds, certificates of deposit, and other safe and conservative financial instruments. This income is then paid out to the owners of the money market.Investors can open a money market account at most financial institutions. They generally receive a checkbook with which they can draw upon funds in the account.Pros: Depositing money in a money market is as easy as depositing cash into a savings or checking account. Cash is immediately available for alternative investments.
Does it matter when I am not following Gods will anyway?
As I've said in the thread already.... no.
Certificates of deposit (or CDs for short) are debt instruments issued by banks and other financial institutions to investors. In exchange for lending the institution money for a predetermined length of time, the investor is paid a set rate of interest. Maturities on certificates of deposit can range from only a few weeks to several years with the interest rate earned by the investor increasing in proportion to the time his capital is tied up in the investment.Pros: The investor can calculate his expected earnings at the outset of the investment. Certificates of deposited are FDIC insured for up to $100,000 and offer an easy solution for the elderly who desire only to maintain their capital for the remainder of their life.Cons: If the investor opts for a longer maturity and, thus, higher rate of interest, he will lose access to his funds and forgo alternative uses of his capital.In the right corner: money marketsMoney markets, on the other hand, offer many of the same benefits as certificates of deposit with the added features of a checking account. Technically speaking, a money market is more or less a mutual fund that attempts to keep its share price at a constant $1. Professional money managers will take the funds deposited in the money market and invest them in government t-bills, savings bonds, certificates of deposit, and other safe and conservative financial instruments. This income is then paid out to the owners of the money market.Investors can open a money market account at most financial institutions. They generally receive a checkbook with which they can draw upon funds in the account.Pros: Depositing money in a money market is as easy as depositing cash into a savings or checking account. Cash is immediately available for alternative investments.
Alright. I don't buy and sell CD's for people all the time. There is no secondary market, I am lying. When you buy a CD you are completely locked in. If that's the case, take your money elsewhere. They aren't treating you right. Not to mention I said short term. I wouldn't do a long term CD right now only because they will probably be raising interest rates soon. Like I said, though, don't listen to me. It's only my job to know exactly what the **** you can do. I'm not REALLY a broker, with a 7 and 63 and soon to have the 9 and 10, I just made that shit up!! If you search for me on the NASD database using my first and last name Frank Phillip Mutti Jr. you wont find me there, because I don't really work for Charles Schwab. It's like talking to a freaking new client who thinks they know something when they don't know dick. Get it through your head- you can sell a CD in the secondary market, and get this, if you have one that is earning a better interest rate than what is being currently offered with new issues(that means new ones) you will actually receive more than par(what you initially paid) because there is a thing called where people can go to buy investment vehicles. I realize that's all mumbo jumbo, but try to keep up numbnuts.
If both people in the relationship are not held to the same standard the standard is worthless
yay for accuracy.kudos to brvheart for understanding CDs correctly. it's a tough concept--the jewswindle is hard to see through.
Alright. I don't buy and sell CD's for people all the time. There is no secondary market, I am lying. When you buy a CD you are completely locked in. If that's the case, take your money elsewhere. They aren't treating you right.
Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not trying to say that you don't know you're stuff... I'm simply pointing out what I know. Please provide the link to a CD or brokerage where I can write checks and/or access the money the same day in case of an emergency, since that's the whole point of this particular account. If I can get 3 - 6% instead of 0.5% I'll be happy. (although this is only for my EMERGENCY account. Not my investments)
yay for accuracy.kudos to brvheart for understanding CDs correctly. it's a tough concept--the jewswindle is hard to see through.
I must be super tired because I don't know if you're being serious or ripping on me.
Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not trying to say that you don't know you're stuff... I'm simply pointing out what I know. Please provide the link to a CD or brokerage where I can write checks and/or access the money the same day in case of an emergency, since that's the whole point of this particular account. If I can get 3 - 6% instead of 0.5% I'll be happy. (although this is only for my EMERGENCY account. Not my investments)
Schwab has 2 options for you, and here is the link: http://www.schwab.com/ Open an investor checking account, that is paying 2.01 right now, or you can do a CD which is paying right around 3 right now.(I think.) 2.6, something like that. CDs settle T+3 i believe, but don't quote me on that. That means you would have access to the cash within 3 business days of selling. Good luck whatever you do.
Schwab has 2 options for you, and here is the link: http://www.schwab.com/ Open an investor checking account, that is paying 2.01 right now, or you can do a CD which is paying right around 3 right now.(I think.) 2.6, something like that. CDs settle T+3 i believe, but don't quote me on that. That means you would have access to the cash within 3 business days of selling. Good luck whatever you do.
Is there a minimum amount I have to deposit for the 2% checking account? I only have $1000 to deposit right now. Well, if I had to I could go as high as $3000, but it would hurt. Three days is not acceptable. The rules say I need to have immediate access and it's important to my wife that we follow the rules.
Men are told again and again. Love you wife. Serve your wife. Lay down your life for your wife. If men were doing this, then the only issues that would arise in a marriage would be "what's for dinner?". (Also sex would be awesomer)
this is so off base I can't believe I read it. If you do all of this for a woman, she will eventually walk all over you. Not all, but alot. Nobody likes a pushover or a hen pecked little faggot. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have done anything for my ex, but you have to draw a line and develop a backbone at some point. Seriously? I'm just going to get this out of the way now so I don't have to harp on it. I am not a believer, never have been, never will be. That's fine, I don't push my non belief on people and I expect the same courtesy in return. I try not to judge or disrespect people who believe because hey, who am I to judge or to tell someone what to believe in or how to live their life, but for you to think that some book that was thrown together hundreds upon hundreds of years ago should be the absolute letter of the law when it comes to running your life in todays age is just absurd and mind numbing to me. Seriously, I can't get past it. I enjoy your posts in the tv thread and in a lot of off topic threads and I'm completely respect that you got our little Napa a job, but when I come in here, I'm convinced that you are completely looney. Moving along now, and I'm pretty sure what I type in a minute will win you back a little.
I DO NOT want a divorce. If I did, I would just do it. I want her to want to serve as much as I do when I do. I ain't Jesus. I'm just a dude who wants a wife that works as hard as he does when he does. That's called a normal relationship. I just want normal. No, my wife has not been saved. She has issues with God.
she has issues with god? It seems like she has no issues with it, you do. Does she try to get you to not believe and encourage you to drop your faith or simply rebuff your attempts at getting her involved? That's a big question. And I didn't come in here to rail on religion, I promise. I do have point, I'm just waiting till the end, I like a big finish.
I work in fianance there is nothing about money I don't know at this point. Implementation is something else entirely. Thanks for the offer, though.
this is an ignorant statement. You can always learn something new. First off, my pedigree. I was married for 4 years, got a divorce, I didn't want it, the ex did. So, you can't fight city hall or stay with someone who doesn't want you. I digress. I certainly don't know everything, but I know a thing or two about a thing or two.Ok, I read most of the stuff on this and I have to say Franky, when I read your first long post, describing the situation, I quoted it and my comment was going to be about how selfish that you came off. You also seem to hold a decent amount of resentment towards your wife, and I speak from experience, that is a relationship killer. You can't keep score, like you seem to be doing with the "I paid off 25% of our debt" and other things I've seen you type over the years, like taking in the problem child sister or hers. BTW, can I get her number? If no, what about the Mrs? Teasing, just trying to add a little humor, it's kinda my thing, even in real life serious situations. Moving along. Yes, you come off as incredibly selfish at times but you know what, there isn't anything wrong with being selfish. The longer that I'm single, the more scared I become that I'm becoming incredibly selfish and I won't be able to love and give everything to the next serious relationship I have. I think I'll be a good husband again, but who know? Maybe I'm jaded now. Anyway, if you want to be selfish, be alone. No crime in that. None at all. But Brvhrt's description of marriage is wacky too. Marriage is a big partnership. Everything is compromise and communication. You have to meet in the middle, as I'm sure you are aware. As far as her job, I was getting the whole deal with that. Why does she hold it against you that she works in a dead end job? If she doesn't like it, take some courses, get a skill, do something else. That's not your fault and if I read it correctly, she's resenting you because you aren't in the industry anymore and she still is, with no career ahead? That lost me. Also, I'm not absolving your wife of fault and blaming everything on you. I don't know the story and as you said, it does take two to tango. That's where the resentment really kicks in. You go out, work your butt off, pay off a ton of her debt, then you expect a little dirty sex or something and she has no urge for a week or two straight because of mental issues or stress or whatever. That sucks. We are men, and sadly, we need to pop off. It's crude, but it's true. From the lowest of animals in the wild all the way through catholic priests, we need to pop. Some of us just don't do it on little boys...anymore. Effing Chris Hanson. Nobody's perfect and nobody, with a normal mind, would or should expect you to be. Don't live an unhappy life. If you exhaust all your avenues and come to no conclusion, do what's best for you. You only get one go around in this life. Make it count.
Is there a minimum amount I have to deposit for the 2% checking account? I only have $1000 to deposit right now. Well, if I had to I could go as high as $3000, but it would hurt. Three days is not acceptable. The rules say I need to have immediate access and it's important to my wife that we follow the rules.
when you give someone a check and they deposit it for you, you don't get immediate access. 99.9% of institutions will give you next day, AT BEST, and only if it's a cashier's check and it's not a new relationship.
this is so off base I can't believe I read it. If you do all of this for a woman, she will eventually walk all over you. Not all, but alot. Nobody likes a pushover or a hen pecked little faggot. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have done anything for my ex, but you have to draw a line and develop a backbone at some point. Seriously? I'm just going to get this out of the way now so I don't have to harp on it.
this is definitely not true of a woman who also is following the Bible. But you are correct, it would apply to most women in America.
when you give someone a check and they deposit it for you, you don't get immediate access. 99.9% of institutions will give you next day, AT BEST, and only if it's a cashier's check and it's not a new relationship.
Once my account is setup, I could write checks FROM that account for emergencies. For example, car repairs. You just misunderstood what I was saying, which isn't a surprise because I'm not smart.

No offense, Lois, but Jeezus Christ on a stick. Braveheart is a freaking zealot. Not the most reasonable person to take advice from, since zealots don't live in the real world.Since he's trying to guilt you and intimidate you and be God's own little ventriloquist in judging you with Bible verses, try this one on:

For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.-- I Corinthians 7:14
That said, I know where you're coming from. My very first post was about the fact that my husband has a form of autism, and a normal, satisfying marriage is not exactly what I've got nor is it something I can ever look forward to. And elsewhere in this forum, I revealed that my past is not unlike your wife's. Kramit has so far had the best advice, that you've got to get under the "whats" like spending money and on to the "whys" like her fear of insecurity, your desire to fill holes from childhood, etc. Lots and lots of honest communication, at the level of "why," is the best therapy.It sounds like you have already done a lot of that work, and you both have my deepest admiration for doing it, because I know from experience that it isn't easy. One therapist I had gave me the best advice about relationships that I've ever heard:
When you first get together, you think that the other person will fix all your "buttons." Not only will they not push them, but they'll fix them so they're not buttons anymore. But that's really never what happens. The other person pushes all your buttons, but they push them in exactly the way that helps YOU to fix them yourself, or the two of you together to fix them. And you push all their buttons as well, hopefully in exactly the way that helps them to fix their own buttons.
I used to say that both my husband and I were broken, but our jagged edges fit together perfectly.You sound like my husband in many ways, and I sound like your wife. Truly a scary thought, but it makes me think that there is a pattern going on of women like me choosing men like you because you're the button-pushers we need, and men like you choosing women like me, because we push your buttons. After all, what is it than an abused female needs most desperately? A strong, secure, safe man and security in knowing that he's a provider. The thing that terrifies us most is being weak and vulnerable again. And you were drawn to that maybe because you wanted to be that man, because you knew you had a tendency and a potential to indulge whims childishly, and you want to grow beyond that need (because you know it comes from the past and it's a behavior you no longer need). In other words, you're both helping each other to grow.It sounds like you're at a place where you need to sit down and ask her to give a little more. It really sounds like you've done a lot to move your comfort zone. Now she needs to do the same and accept that you will entertain yourself, and if that causes a debt, you will take care of repaying it. That won't be comfortable, but she needs to stretch herself a little more now.And finally, there can come a time when you've helped each other grow all you can, and you may be at that time. My husband acknowledges that there was a time he really couldn't function without me (because of the autism), but that now he could. And I've certainly grown a tremendous amount as a person over the twenty years that he and I have been together (we got together when I was 18 and he 22, and this year makes 20 years together, nine married). It's ain't a fairy tale, but then again we ain't fairies.Best of luck, and lots of affection,A.
I am not a believer, never have been, never will be. That's fine, I don't push my non belief on people and I expect the same courtesy in return. I try not to judge or disrespect people who believe because hey, who am I to judge or to tell someone what to believe in or how to live their life, but for you to think that some book that was thrown together hundreds upon hundreds of years ago should be the absolute letter of the law when it comes to running your life in todays age is just absurd and mind numbing to me. Seriously, I can't get past it. I enjoy your posts in the tv thread and in a lot of off topic threads and I'm completely respect that you got our little Napa a job, but when I come in here, I'm convinced that you are completely looney. Moving along now, and I'm pretty sure what I type in a minute will win you back a little.
Mex, we are cool. I understand that my belief in God and the Bible seems crazy and I'm totally cool with you thinking that. Your love of penis seems looney to me but I still love you.
Mex, we are cool. I understand that my belief in God and the Bible seems crazy and I'm totally cool with you thinking that. Your love of penis seems looney to me but I still love you.
"Internet" love of the penis tyvm. I only tolerate it during threesomes if the chick is really hot. kiddingactually, upon a reread, I shouldn't say that I'll never believe. I mean, as it stands, I don't see it, but you never know. I don't like the term athiest because you can't prove something doesn't exist. I'll stick with agnostic for now.
No offense, Lois, but Jeezus Christ on a stick. Braveheart is a freaking zealot. Not the most reasonable person to take advice from, since zealots don't live in the real world.Since he's trying to guilt you and intimidate you and be God's own little ventriloquist in judging you with Bible verses
I'm going to take this as a complement. Also, if you ask Lois himself, I think he would say that I am NOT trying to guilt or intimidate him. He and I have the same belief system and he knows that if a brother is stumbling that I am required to come along side him. I love Lois and guilt and intimidation aren't even close to being in the equation of my thinking. But I definitely understand how it comes across that way.
"Internet" love of the penis tyvm. I only tolerate it during threesomes if the chick is really hot. kiddingactually, upon a reread, I shouldn't say that I'll never believe. I mean, as it stands, I don't see it, but you never know. I don't like the term athiest because you can't prove something doesn't exist. I'll stick with agnostic for now.
I love this post. God may have plans for you yet. (If he's real *wink*)