was this a stupid bet?

Blinds are 300/600, will be 400/800 by the time I'm in big blind (6 minutes left in the 40 minute round). I have 4800 in chips (8x BB, or 6xBB once the blind flips). People usually say short stacked is less than 10x the big blind.The guy in 1st position (chip leader with 29,000) raises to 1600, it comes around to me. I had AJ, I thought about folding it since the other guy might have a pair, but since he's a chip leader he could afford a raise with any two paint. I know he'll call if I go all-in so I just called the 1600 (possible mistake). The guy acting after me, who was also short stacked, went all in for about 8k. The chip leader folded and it was to me. I called the last 3200 worth of chips since I know the guy who went all in and he said during the last break that he's going all in on Ax next time he gets it since he didn't want to get blinded out and wanted to go out with a bang instead of dying slowly.Was it wrong to just call when on short stack? I figured that if an A, a J, or 3 rags hit on the flop I could go all in and feel against the chip leader and feel secure in my bet. If a K, Q, or T hit I could fold to his bet or check it down and still have 3000 left to play with if I lost. I wanted to only call him since I thought for sure he would call me and why spend more than I have to in order to see the flop first? I didn't think anyone else would go over the top.I was right in my reads, chip leader had KQ and the reraiser had AT. However a T hit on the river and I lost the rest of my chips. I feel good about my reads, but wasn't sure if I should have bet more or if I was in a hopeless position. In this case I would have lost either way, but in the long run the cards will come up different.

Regardless of what you pinned either of them on. you should have pushed with that hand in that situation.you were not short stacked, you were touching the felt my friend.If the blinds were going to be up by the time it came to you, than you have to take a risk to try to double up somewhere if its a decent hand.

Tough situation for sure. The general rule is you have to respect a 1st position raise and AJ is going to be a dog more often then not. Being the chip leader definitely gives him the ability to raise with a lessser hand so I guess it really just depends on your read of the individual player. Had he been passive, agressive previously? I probably would have layed it down.But assuming you made the call then another guy reraises all-in against a chipleader that has already raised in 1st position you have to assume he has a monster. It is possible he has a mid pair or something and simply trying to pull a squeeze play on you to isolate a coin flip with the chip leader.With 900 from the blinds and 3200 from the chip leader and your call you are now faced with a decision to call off your last 3200 chips into a pot of 4100. Hardly good odds considering the raise, reraise action. I would definitely folded the re-raise allin.Just my thoughts

With 900 from the blinds and 3200 from the chip leader and your call you are now faced with a decision to call off your last 3200 chips into a pot of 4100. Hardly good odds considering the raise, reraise action. I would definitely folded the re-raise allin
You forgot to add the reraise all in which would cover his 3200 making the pot 7300 givng him slightly over 2:1 odds on his remaining stack. Seems good enough with a decent hand and very short stacked. Just got a bad break with the ten
With 900 from the blinds and 3200 from the chip leader and your call you are now faced with a decision to call off your last 3200 chips into a pot of 4100. Hardly good odds considering the raise' date=' reraise action. I would definitely folded the re-raise allin[/quote']You forgot to add the reraise all in which would cover his 3200 making the pot 7300 givng him slightly over 2:1 odds on his remaining stack. Seems good enough with a decent hand and very short stacked. Just got a bad break with the ten
Your right, missed that, you pretty much have to make that call then with 2:1 at your chip stack level in that stage of the game.

I figured the bets were okay. But should have I have pushed in right away knowing I'd be called by the chip leader since I had too few to bluff him off it. Or was my attempt at seeing the flop cheap a bad move since it didn't discourage anyone else from jumping in?

Once you are that short stacked, if you play a hand it should be for all your money. You should ahve moved inat it in the first place. The guy would have had to dump his A10 with 2 raises in front of him. That being said your were pot committed to call his raise once you called.

I think that considering yourself a short stack at that very moment is borderline, but regardless, I think you either need to push all-in there, or fold. Calling may get you in trouble. If you were positive on your reads of their hands, it is a fold. :wink:

I think that considering yourself a short stack at that very moment is borderline, but regardless, I think you either need to push all-in there, or fold. Calling may get you in trouble. If you were positive on your reads of their hands, it is a fold. :wink:
Noo.. he crossed the boarder 2 grand before that. He was definetly short stacked

Personally I think you should have gone all in. You had someone to act after you and he, apparently, had the same read on the big stack you did. He didnt figure you for anything because you just called his raise. He was probably hoping, since you didnt go all in originally, that you would just fold your hand and wait for a better spot. And if you did call, he might have you beat too.

Personally I think you should have gone all in. You had someone to act after you and he, apparently, had the same read on the big stack you did. He didnt figure you for anything because you just called his raise. He was probably hoping, since you didnt go all in originally, that you would just fold your hand and wait for a better spot. And if you did call, he might have you beat too.
I can't stop laughing at your avatar...awesome...make it yourself?
I figured the bets were okay. But should have I have pushed in right away knowing I'd be called by the chip leader since I had too few to bluff him off it. Or was my attempt at seeing the flop cheap a bad move since it didn't discourage anyone else from jumping in?
I think that because of the position that you are in with the stack you have you can only push or fold. Maybe if you were to the right of the raiser and everybody else folds then you can think about calling and seeing what the flop brings if you feel you have a good read on the other player. But if you do push in you might have taken the pot down before flop. If the guy with a10 sees two raises he should fold and then you make the big stack make the decision. He may call because of his chip position but he may not because he has to know that he is beat by a pair or an ace and may not want to throw another 3200 in even though he would now be the one getting the 2:1 odds