I wonder who they bring in to replace him.
I wonder if Norman Dale is available?I'd like to see Don Nelson opt out of GS and go there. Not that it makes sense, or that there is any chance (although he still hasn't guaranteed he is coming back next year to GS), but anything that hurts the feelings of Bay Area sports fans is ok by me. I doubt they would go the college coach route after how bad that has turned out for people, so who does that leave? An NBA assistant or someone that got fired in the last few years?
I wonder if Norman Dale is available?I'd like to see Don Nelson opt out of GS and go there. Not that it makes sense, or that there is any chance (although he still hasn't guaranteed he is coming back next year to GS), but anything that hurts the feelings of Bay Area sports fans is ok by me. I doubt they would go the college coach route after how bad that has turned out for people, so who does that leave? An NBA assistant or someone that got fired in the last few years?
there has been some talk about a couple of assistants with the Jazz who deserve a shot. Learning under/with Jerry Sloan had to be good experience. I think they should look there.

There's talk that Terry Porter is going to come in. If anything, I think they should take a look at Avery Johnson. He would be the best for that team in terms of getting it to focus and not underachieving. That is, if Joe Dumars isn't going to tear that team up, which has also been said. I have my money on Rasheed getting traded this offseason.

Well it's reported that Curry, the assistant coach on Flip's staff is taking over the reigns. Pretty unusual for Joe D. to hire so quickly without looking further. I find it funny that Joe D. doesn't take over head coach since those players listen to him more.

I find it funny that Joe D. doesn't take over head coach since those players listen to him more.
he came off, to me, as a giant d-bag in his press conference. so arrogant.

Good riddance Flip. Hopefully they'll be saying goodbye to Sheed too.

Doesn't that make him even more suited to coach that team?
maybe, but you know he isnt going to fire himself. and as long as he can keep blaming the coach, he can keep his job.and if he was responsible for the Darko over D Wade, C Bosh, Melo DISASTER, then he should be fired anyways.
maybe, but you know he isnt going to fire himself. and as long as he can keep blaming the coach, he can keep his job.and if he was responsible for the Darko over D Wade, C Bosh, Melo DISASTER, then he should be fired anyways.
As much as he gets ripped on for Darko, his other late picks have been panning out brilliantly when given playtime.Stuckey and Maxwell are going to be solid players in this league for a long time.
As much as he gets ripped on for Darko, his other late picks have been panning out brilliantly when given playtime.Stuckey and Maxwell are going to be solid players in this league for a long time.
That's what I was thinking. Even though he picked Darko ahead of Melo, Wade, and Bosh, I think he made the right choice. After all, it was Larry Brown that didn't play Darko enough.
there is nothing as fantastic as the power of hindsight. every scout unanimously loved Darko Milicic. He looked like he had it all....height, power, touch, a mean streak, shot blocking ability. he just didnt work out.No one and I mean no one was saying that D-Wade should be picked ahead of Darko. if the heat had the 2nd or 3rd pick they would not have taken Wade. And I love dwayne and I am thrilled at how it worked out. but lets not rewrite history. ditto for bosh.....most people agreed he was the 2nd best big man after Darko. Obv. they were wrong.Melo is a more interesting case. Many people thought they should have taken him over Darko. In Joe D's defense, Melo was not at a position of need and Darko was. That just highlights the problem of taking need over value.
there is nothing as fantastic as the power of hindsight. every scout unanimously loved Darko Milicic. He looked like he had it all....height, power, touch, a mean streak, shot blocking ability. he just didnt work out.No one and I mean no one was saying that D-Wade should be picked ahead of Darko. if the heat had the 2nd or 3rd pick they would not have taken Wade. And I love dwayne and I am thrilled at how it worked out. but lets not rewrite history. ditto for bosh.....most people agreed he was the 2nd best big man after Darko. Obv. they were wrong.Melo is a more interesting case. Many people thought they should have taken him over Darko. In Joe D's defense, Melo was not at a position of need and Darko was. That just highlights the problem of taking need over value.
In draft picks, hindsight is everything. To me anyway. You either get it right or you dont. To me, there is no 'the scouts all said'. It was his pick, and it was a mistake. He makes millions of dollars a year to not let that happen. Or maybe I just dont like him.
In draft picks, hindsight is everything. To me anyway. You either get it right or you dont. To me, there is no 'the scouts all said'. It was his pick, and it was a mistake. He makes millions of dollars a year to not let that happen. Or maybe I just dont like him.
Last sentence seems about right. It just strikes me as unfair to expect these guys to be Nostradamus. He did the best with the info at the time almost. I think he should have picked Melo. But to think he should have picked Wade isnt fair....not even Pat Riley knew what he was getting. and you also have to judge a guy by the balance of his work. pretty much all his other moves have been good ones....that one was a bad one. Most GMs in the NBA wish they had that batting average.all the being said, the pistons desperately need to blow everything up this offseason and start over.
Last sentence seems about right. It just strikes me as unfair to expect these guys to be Nostradamus. He did the best with the info at the time almost. I think he should have picked Melo. But to think he should have picked Wade isnt fair....not even Pat Riley knew what he was getting. and you also have to judge a guy by the balance of his work. pretty much all his other moves have been good ones....that one was a bad one. Most GMs in the NBA wish they had that batting average.all the being said, the pistons desperately need to blow everything up this offseason and start over.
i just dont want to be logical about it today, for some reason.
i just dont want to be logical about it today, for some reason.
being logical as a sports fan is ZERO fun. You should see me rail against the dolphins on sundays. Even into my mid-20s I am still convinced the coach can hear me through the television screen.