• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acid--Playing mostly 6-handed max, how deep can you be to set mine to raises? If in position is it profitable to 3bet and on top of that, when opening OOP and getting 3bet is it read based on to call/fold?

Acid--Playing mostly 6-handed max, how deep can you be to set mine to raises? If in position is it profitable to 3bet and on top of that, when opening OOP and getting 3bet is it read based on to call/fold?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here.To profitably set mine, you should probably be getting at least 15 to 20-1 implied odds from their stack. Those implied odds are never really that high if the player is good enough not to stack off with an overpair vs your set.
If you look at his blog he posted a picture of this awesome looking thing(vague because I can't remember what 'thing' it was, but it was something) he was working on, not sure how far he went with that but it looked pretty impressive.
http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com/fontainebleau.htmThat's the main project that I've been working on for the last 2 years. I'm not really in love with my job right now or anything and the fact that poker is going really well just enhances that point. I am not making any plans to change what I'm doing yet, but I am starting to consider things.
I'm not really sure what you're asking here.To profitably set mine, you should probably be getting at least 15 to 20-1 implied odds from their stack. Those implied odds are never really that high if the player is good enough not to stack off with an overpair vs your set.
I was referring to lower to mid PP (22-TT). Example being: Say in UTG+1 with 99 and I make a standard raise, I get 3bet by the button. Is it +EV to call here more times than not or is it more read based to when calling here OOP?
I was referring to lower to mid PP (22-TT). Example being: Say in UTG+1 with 99 and I make a standard raise, I get 3bet by the button. Is it +EV to call here more times than not or is it more read based to when calling here OOP?
Hmmm. I'd be more likely to fold to a 3-bet from the blinds than the button, as they will likely have a wider 3-betting range and I assume you are talking about 6-max. Plus, isn't 99 quite a good hand? Playing it for set value only is weak imo.

This thread was really starting to go somewhere, till Matt started posting again.No, but seriously, question... what poker player has the sexiest voice?

This thread was really starting to go somewhere, till Matt started posting again.No, but seriously, question... what poker player has the sexiest voice?
Men Ngyuen, ainec.
What's his range? What does he think your range is? Is he gonna go broke with an overpair if you flop a set? Is he gonna fire 3 bullets with whiffed overcards if the board comes 75238? Questions like these don't have a formulaic answer. Also, 99 is not 22. There's a cutoff in there, usually between 66/77 where one hand seems to have slightly more than set value because it sees fewer overcards.
Obligatory FYP.
Antonius speaks? I thought he just sat there, brooding.

Acid,I like to bet more on coordinated bets than on dry ones. I understand that when I am value betting a medium strength hand on a coordinated board I can bet larger because there are more hands I can get value from. However, it seems counter-intuitive to make larger continuation bets on more coordinated boards or boards that connect with their ranges.I have started checking very coordinated flops against looser opponents. Against tighter players who are playing less marginal hands C-betting these flops seems better.Is my thinking in the right ball park here?

Acid,I like to bet more on coordinated bets than on dry ones. I understand that when I am value betting a medium strength hand on a coordinated board I can bet larger because there are more hands I can get value from. However, it seems counter-intuitive to make larger continuation bets on more coordinated boards or boards that connect with their ranges.I have started checking very coordinated flops against looser opponents. Against tighter players who are playing less marginal hands C-betting these flops seems better.Is my thinking in the right ball park here?
You are making larger c-bets on coordinated boards becuase there are more hands that you want to protect from/get value from and people will make proportionally bigger hands and will pay bigger bets.I read your thinking as: Well, if they're likely to have hit that flop, aren't I just losing more money by c-betting bigger? Well, yes and no. Depending on your hand strength and their range, you should obviously be making more money by betting larger becuase you hope to have their made hands beaten and you make them pay for draws.Depending on your hand and your opponentnt's tendencies, you are gonna get into big trouble betting every flop and an almost equal amount of trouble checking all of them. Find a good balance and try and get a feel for whether or not they're gonna play back at you and act accordingly.
You are making larger c-bets on coordinated boards becuase there are more hands that you want to protect from/get value from and people will make proportionally bigger hands and will pay bigger bets.I read your thinking as: Well, if they're likely to have hit that flop, aren't I just losing more money by c-betting bigger? Well, yes and no. Depending on your hand strength and their range, you should obviously be making more money by betting larger becuase you hope to have their made hands beaten and you make them pay for draws.Depending on your hand and your opponentnt's tendencies, you are gonna get into big trouble betting every flop and an almost equal amount of trouble checking all of them. Find a good balance and try and get a feel for whether or not they're gonna play back at you and act accordingly.
Well, it's not making continuation bets for value I am concerned about so much, it's the times I miss and am choosing which flops to C-bet depending on texture and opponent. Here is my thinking:I think of a continuation bet as a bet with air after taking the lead pre. I know, that if you raise preflop then lead for value, it is still a continuation bet, but just to make the distinction easier, let's refer to leading on a board you've connected with as a value bet, and a board you haven't as a continuation bet.If I value bet large on coordinated boards, I need to make a large continuation bet on coordinated boards as well. The problem is, I am not going to take the pot down frequently enough on coordinated boards for large c-bets to be effective, especially in micros. So what I'm really asking is, "I'm not making continuation bets on coordinated flops as often as I used to, is this ok?"I feel that if I start checking coordinated boards people will start to take advantage of me showing weakness, maybe not now, but in higher games certainly.
Well, it's not making continuation bets for value I am concerned about so much, it's the times I miss and am choosing which flops to C-bet depending on texture and opponent. Here is my thinking:I think of a continuation bet as a bet with air after taking the lead pre. I know, that if you raise preflop then lead for value, it is still a continuation bet, but just to make the distinction easier, let's refer to leading on a board you've connected with as a value bet, and a board you haven't as a continuation bet.If I value bet large on coordinated boards, I need to make a large continuation bet on coordinated boards as well. The problem is, I am not going to take the pot down frequently enough on coordinated boards for large c-bets to be effective, especially in micros. So what I'm really asking is, "I'm not making continuation bets on coordinated flops as often as I used to, is this ok?"I feel that if I start checking coordinated boards people will start to take advantage of me showing weakness, maybe not now, but in higher games certainly.
I wouldn't do it every time, but in certain situations, against the right opponents, why not try to check raise coordinated boards that you have hit? That way when you do check coordinated boards that you don't hit, your opponents won't know if you hit or not.
  • 6 months later...

Heads up....regards to table selection.if someone sits down whats the minimum BBs you will play? Like I'm playing $50max and someone with $10 sits down, with the rake it seems def not worth the hassle.small balls.someone consistently min-raising from the button. We play this, like folding hands, the same as if its 3xBBs usually? it annoys me when I fold for one big blind I guess I just need some reassurance.At home sick playing with like 3 buy ins so until I meet my faith more questions to followEdit: while I'm at it, how the hell do I get HH from Tilt, i keep saving it to my desktop and it wont show up

Heads up....regards to table selection.if someone sits down whats the minimum BBs you will play? Like I'm playing $50max and someone with $10 sits down, with the rake it seems def not worth the hassle.I play PF only with short buys HU. Shove when you're ahead for value.small balls.someone consistently min-raising from the button. We play this, like folding hands, the same as if its 3xBBs usually? it annoys me when I fold for one big blind I guess I just need some reassurance.If they min-raise EVERYTHING, I extend my 3 bet range and size. Again, this is where PF play is emphasized.At home sick playing with like 3 buy ins so until I meet my faith more questions to followSTOP !!! I would NEVER play HU with 3 BIs. NEVER NEVER NEVER. You're going to get broke.Edit: while I'm at it, how the hell do I get HH from Tilt, i keep saving it to my desktop and it wont show up

ok thanks. But whats the minimum of BBs, even if they sit with 10-20 etc.You're absoultely right about the bankroll, I won't go into life story but basically haven't had internet in a few months, now I've been vomiting from all holes and been in bed for 4 days and won't be in work this week and won't have internet when Im better so I'm not too bothered about going bust and I've always been a bank roll idiot. I've never been this bored in my life and the heads up is keeping me extremely entertained, I'm fully aware of the consequences.although now its 7 buy ins but I'm not dicisiplined enough to drop to small stakes 6 max etc. Thanks for the advice just don't waste your energy about the bankroll part, Im a lost cause.

Heads up....regards to table selection.if someone sits down whats the minimum BBs you will play? Like I'm playing $50max and someone with $10 sits down, with the rake it seems def not worth the hassle.small balls.someone consistently min-raising from the button. We play this, like folding hands, the same as if its 3xBBs usually? it annoys me when I fold for one big blind I guess I just need some reassurance.At home sick playing with like 3 buy ins so until I meet my faith more questions to followEdit: while I'm at it, how the hell do I get HH from Tilt, i keep saving it to my desktop and it wont show up
1. Get rakeback. Guys who buy in for 20BBs are generally the worst players you'll have the chance to play.2. Learn what hands you can play profitably OOP vs that guy for a minraise. Some guys are really aggro postflop and the number of hands that you can turn a profit with aren't that great, but against other people, you can profitably call with most hands.3. Just follow the instructions under where to save your HHs. It should be self explanatory.

Thanks got RB today. yea finally learning how to love and appreciate game selection. Some french guy gave me 4 buy ins in 2 hours, he sat down first with $20 obv.Following instructions but it just won't work. Ill figure it out.I feel like I'm basically just a calling station thats running good but I've been doing ok

Thanks got RB today. yea finally learning how to love and appreciate game selection. Some french guy gave me 4 buy ins in 2 hours, he sat down first with $20 obv.Following instructions but it just won't work. Ill figure it out.I feel like I'm basically just a calling station thats running good but I've been doing ok
I <3 hyper-aggressive Euros "Meybee if I bluff here, he folds, non? Non. Possobly if I bluff here, he folds, non? Non then. Vell, I vill keep bluffing until he folds, non?"
I <3 hyper-aggressive Euros "Meybee if I bluff here, he folds, non? Non. Possobly if I bluff here, he folds, non? Non then. Vell, I vill keep bluffing until he folds, non?"
That seems to be an accurate thought process for him.When he quit he just wrote "clap clap clap"The one thing I'm really unsure of is playing from the big blind. I've been pretty non-existent so far. Unsure of what kind of range I should be calling with, folding most ace rags, Luckily most of my opponents have been limping so it hasn't messed me up too much yet.