• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well put this in Matt's vanity thread.I believe it is currently the 26th birthday of one Mr. Acid_Knight.Happy birthday, bro. Leave the cat alone.
FYP. Thanks. The cat is safe. Zach6668 only rapes dogs.
I guess my biggest problems come in live games that are full and we get a small PP in UTG or UTG + 1. Do we just call and see what develops?Also, same type of game with Mid PP (usually 88 - JJ). Do we raise these hands? I will usually raise and then C-bet the flop if there is no A, of course this is situational but that is my usual play, is this good or am I probably spewing in the long run?
If the game is playing very loosely, then you just want to try and get into the pot with the smaller pairs and try to flop a set. Limping can be ok, but I still prefer raising most hands depending on who's defending and how lightly they're stacking off.Don't think of any flop with no Ace as a good c-betting flop. Instead think about the ranges of hands that your opponents were likely to call your PFR with and how often those ranges like that flop and then act accordingly.
What is bet/folding's role in your game and what circumstances do you typically look for when utilizing a bet/fold?
Bet folding is best in spots where the player you're betting into will not likely bluff raise your bet.For example:I have AKo and raise and my opponent calls but I am OOP. The flop is AK4 with 2 spades. I bet and he calls. The turn is a 9. I bet and he calls. The river is the 9 of spades. Now, if I bet here, he will likely pay me off with a lot of Ax hands and I will gain value. He probably never has a 9 and even if he does, he might not raise because the flush got there. Basically, this is a spot where if he raises you, he's got a flush and you should fold, but it's still often profitable to make this bet and then fold since you do get value from many hands that you beat.
In what type of situations do you prefer to float the flop and bluff the turn or just bluff on the flop?
Playing HU, a lot of players like donking into you. When they do this on a coordinated board, like T96hh, I generally just raise them as a bluff/for value since there are many bad turn cards. When players start donking hands like JJ3r into you, that's a great time to float because to them, it looks more like you're slowplaying and it will enable you to get the pot cheaper and just fold the turn if they fire again. Also, people who like to just barrel lots of flops and turns are lesser candidates because you want control of the hand, so just bluffraise those guys on the flop and save the floating for people who give up when they're OOP and get called.

I'm one of those micro limit players who is jealous of those of you who are good at poker. I have a decent concept of the game but don't know how to get better.When I hear things like... post hands in the strat forums, I always wonder which hands should qualify. I'm the typical guy who post a bad beat hand and gets told to live with the results. I have trouble identifying the leaks.What should players like me do to get better? We understand it isn't as simple as playing a 15/11 Tag formula or something statistic, yet we can't identify what kinds of hands to analyze and are clearly underskilled (to be good) at assigning ranges correctly.What should our first couple of steps be to make millions like you?

I'm one of those micro limit players who is jealous of those of you who are good at poker. I have a decent concept of the game but don't know how to get better.When I hear things like... post hands in the strat forums, I always wonder which hands should qualify. I'm the typical guy who post a bad beat hand and gets told to live with the results. I have trouble identifying the leaks.What should players like me do to get better? We understand it isn't as simple as playing a 15/11 Tag formula or something statistic, yet we can't identify what kinds of hands to analyze and are clearly underskilled (to be good) at assigning ranges correctly.What should our first couple of steps be to make millions hundreds like you?
The first thing that you want to do is to read some books and get a good background in the game. Read the FAQ post stickied at the top of the strat forum. The fact that you're even in here, asking this question means that you're already better off than a lot of people who don't care or who aren't interested in putting in the effort to be good.It takes a lot of work. There probably isn't a solid winning player out there who didn't start off as a losing one who decided to put in the effort to become good.What I would do:1. Get some books on the game you want to learn. Read reviews of them on Amazon or something to see what people think of them. In general, this will give you some math background and general guidelines for play.2. Read the posts in the NL strat forum (if you want to learn NL). Read all of them, or as many as you can handle. Find out what situations people are asking about. Think about what you would do and then see what the winning players suggest that you do. Were those things the same? If not, try and figure out why the winning players are suggesting what they are. Hopefully they explain themselves well, but try and figure out why they're doing what they're doing.3. Play poker. Play tight. Play straightforward. Try and make the plays that were talked about in the forum. If you come to spots that you think are tough, post the hand. If the responses are something like "standard" or very simple responses, it means that it's probably a pretty common situation and you should try and understand why it's common and what to do with it. Soon you will get to the point where you're posting hands and people will have different opinions on what is best, which will usually mean that it's actually a pretty tough/difficult decision that needed to be posted here.
When I hear things like... post hands in the strat forums, I always wonder which hands should qualify. I'm the typical guy who post a bad beat hand and gets told to live with the results. I have trouble identifying the leaks.
Post any hand you have a question about, regardless of how stupid you think it might be. If you're in the BB and the button shoves all in for a full stack and you want to ask whether you should call with 74 suited because it's your lucky hand (you shouldn't), ASK IT.If you limp aces behind a bunch of other limpers and aren't sure whether that's a profitable play (it isn't), ASK IT.If you're not sure whether you should call with the nut flush draw and two overs on a T-high board when you're getting 12:1 (you should), ASK IT!It doesn't matter how stupid the question is. Post the hand and ask it. Asking, "Should I have gotten away from this?" and then posting a hand where you got AA all in preflop is not a strategy question, though. It's a bad beat post disguised, poorly, as a strategy question. Basically, if you ever get your chips in the middle and you have the best hand and lose, don't ask whether you played it correctly. You did. Nice job. Acid Knight will be distributing Sklansky bucks to everyone that asks on the first of every month!
Bet folding is best in spots where the player you're betting into will not likely bluff raise your bet.For example:I have AKo and raise and my opponent calls but I am OOP. The flop is AK4 with 2 spades. I bet and he calls. The turn is a 9. I bet and he calls. The river is the 9 of spades. Now, if I bet here, he will likely pay me off with a lot of Ax hands and I will gain value. He probably never has a 9 and even if he does, he might not raise because the flush got there. Basically, this is a spot where if he raises you, he's got a flush and you should fold, but it's still often profitable to make this bet and then fold since you do get value from many hands that you beat.
Can we reduce the size of our bet at all or should the bet size be consistent with a value bet we'd make if the card was a blank to disguise the fact we are planning to bet/fold?
Can we reduce the size of our bet at all or should the bet size be consistent with a value bet we'd make if the card was a blank to disguise the fact we are planning to bet/fold?
I think his answer is most likely "Be consistent with bet sizes relative to the board, action so far in the hand, and number of players in the hand." Basically you never want to base the sizes of your bet off of any information that isn't community information.But I'm not Acid.
I think his answer is most likely "Be consistent with bet sizes relative to the board, action so far in the hand, and number of players in the hand." Basically you never want to base the sizes of your bet off of any information that isn't community information.But I'm not Acid.
Yeah, that is actually what I suspected as well.
Basically what Temp said, but also, against some players, if I think I can get them to spazz out by making a different bet size that's inconsistent with what I usually do, you can bet I'm gonna do it. If I have the nuts on a board vs a guy who likes to bluff raise, I'm gonna make a bet that I normally wouldn't make in that spot because I think he's gonna find it suspicious and be more apt to raise it.Mostly though, just be consistent. Raise the same textured flops to the same amount. Have a different c-bet size for dry boards or paired boards vs drawy boards (if that's your style) or just make the same bet every time.
Acid Knight will be distributing Sklansky bucks to everyone that asks on the first of every month!
For the first time last month, I actually owe about $3500 Sklansky bucks to my opponents.

temp,thx for that. One more thing - I don't seem to get too bothered watching the turn and river come down - i am fairly placid and seem happy with the 'it will even out in the end idea' - I think this is a good thing for me - is it?Acid,Question for you (or anybody else who has thoughts) - I see from your blog that you are an engineer. This is not the easiest job in the world. I take it that you are pokering in your spare time. The question - Do you have any concentration problems?I work in IT and try to play a little poker in the evening and such. Whilst I am not a great player I feel that one of my greatest leaks is keeping my mind on what I am doing. What say you? Does your mind drift onto engineering or such?Kenny

temp,thx for that.Acid,Question for you (or anybody else who has thoughts) - I see from your blog that you are an engineer. This is not the easiest job in the world. I take it that you are pokering in your spare time. The question - Do you have any concentration problems?I work in IT and try to play a little poker in the evening and such. Whilst I am not a great player I feel that one of my greatest leaks is keeping my mind on what I am doing. What say you? Does your mind drift onto engineering or such?Kenny
I'll field this one Matt. Kenny, Acid is a poker player that had to be an engineer, because he sucked so bad at poker. So honestly he has a hard time keeping from thinking about pokering while engineering not the other way around.Hope this helps.Nate(if you doubt this story ask him where he spent his lunch breaks the last two months)
I'll field this one Matt. Kenny, Acid is a poker player that had to be an engineer, because he sucked so bad at poker. So honestly he has a hard time keeping from thinking about pokering while engineering not the other way around.Hope this helps.Nate(if you doubt this story ask him where he spent his lunch breaks the last two months)
If this is true - Can we have a full list of anything that he has been involved in building, so that we can avoid it - I don't fancy being buried in rubble.Kenny
If this is true - Can we have a full list of anything that he has been involved in building, so that we can avoid it - I don't fancy being buried in rubble.Kenny
OMG ACID BUILDS BUILDINGS!!!!! I THOUGHT THEY JUST LET HIM PLAN ROADS!!!! AHHHHHHHH

If you look at his blog he posted a picture of this awesome looking thing(vague because I can't remember what 'thing' it was, but it was something) he was working on, not sure how far he went with that but it looked pretty impressive.