Offical Euro 2008 Thread...

Well, now that the champions league is over, we can focus on Euro 2008... who do you like? What players do you think will shine, etc..Since England screwed the pooch, I will need to pick another squad to follow in this cup ( traditionally I root for the USA and England in international competition).. so, now that the Premiership and Champions league is over, I'm going to come out of the closet with my Ronaldo love, and throw my support behind Portugal ( It kills me that Ronaldo is a devil, but good god he's the most exciting player to watch in the world right now.. i'm hypnotized by how quick his feet are). They are in a decent group, and as long as Switzerland's altitude doesn't kill them, they should advance. Also, I think Germany will be make a strong showing.. but really, I think this 2008 is going to be wide open, as I don't see any side that's dominant...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to a tournament without England there just to see how that affects the coverage here. I should imagine the dominant trends will be BBC punts who have no idea who anyone who plays outside the premiership is and therefore "can't be up to much" while ITV will focus their coverage on how the two teams involved in any given game really aren't that good and that England would have wiped the floor with both of them. It's a shame England didn't make it but with a moron in charge of the team I don't know how we could have expected anything else. I'm not sure who I'm going to put my support behind, usually I have a soft spot for the Czechs but with Nedved retired now I think I might go for Spain who are the only country who can underachieve worse than us.

Germany are the favourites (not mine, the bookies). Look out for Lahm and Schweinsteiger if you don't already know them.Spain, perrenial under-achievers but have a frighteningly talented squad. Easily best strikeforce in the tournament in Villa and Torres.Italy, World champions, count them out at your peril. Cassano has made the squad. Spoilt, petulant brat but a very good player with the ball at his feet. Italy's X-factor without Totti.Portugal, lacking someone to finish off Ronaldo's work. Simao is good too though.Holland, tickets will be sold out to every agent in Europe watching Klaas Jan Huntelaar, I've only seen a little of him but his goalscoring record is frightening.I, however, am supporting Croatia. Obviously because they dumped out England. And Luka Modric, this boy is special. Jono, if you read this, your Spurs have a great talent on their hands.Very open tournament though. No stand out teams but many teams have stand out individuals. Looking forward to it.

Germany are the favourites (not mine, the bookies). Look out for Lahm and Schweinsteiger if you don't already know them.Spain, perrenial under-achievers but have a frighteningly talented squad. Easily best strikeforce in the tournament in Villa and Torres.Italy, World champions, count them out at your peril. Cassano has made the squad. Spoilt, petulant brat but a very good player with the ball at his feet. Italy's X-factor without Totti.Portugal, lacking someone to finish off Ronaldo's work. Simao is good too though.Holland, tickets will be sold out to every agent in Europe watching Klaas Jan Huntelaar, I've only seen a little of him but his goalscoring record is frightening.I, however, am supporting Croatia. Obviously because they dumped out England. And Luka Modric, this boy is special. Jono, if you read this, your Spurs have a great talent on their hands.Very open tournament though. No stand out teams but many teams have stand out individuals. Looking forward to it.
I'm sold. Lets go Croatia!Edit: lol just read the sub-title. Nice

I'll be supporting Portugal too... Ronaldo and Nani mostly, obv. They have a very decent group also.Group C looks to be the hardest, just looking at it now. (France, Italy, Holland, Romania).In my eyes, Italy have to be favourites, but look for either Austria or Switzerland to go far (one of them to get to the semis, even though they're both shit)... history shows that in World Cups and European Championships, hosts nations over-perform drastically. So, I'll pick Austria to support out of those two.I think I'll be back to do a full prediction and some possible bets (hi LJB!), when I've looked at draws/matches etc, a little bit later.

I'll be supporting Portugal too... Ronaldo and Nani mostly, obv. They have a very decent group also.Group C looks to be the hardest, just looking at it now. (France, Italy, Holland, Romania).In my eyes, Italy have to be favourites, but look for either Austria or Switzerland to go far (one of them to get to the semis, even though they're both shit)... history shows that in World Cups and European Championships, hosts nations over-perform drastically. So, I'll pick Austria to support out of those two.I think I'll be back to do a full prediction and some possible bets (hi LJB!), when I've looked at draws/matches etc, a little bit later.
History has shown that the refs plainly fix matches on behalf of the home squad.. I still get fired up thinking about the benefit Korea and Japan got in the WC..That said, Switz can't advance, I wouldn't think... unless teams get gassed playing in the altitude... I'd have to think Austria will be the advancing squad. I'd love to see spain shake off their under performing woes, but i wouldn't put my money on it.. I also have a soft spot for Turkey.. but I don't hold much hope for them advancing. I could get sold on rooting for holland, I've really enjoyed their squad in previous international competitions.. I just looked up Klaas Jan Huntelaar, and he has 33 goals in 34 games.. that's insane! It won't be long before he gets sold to a Super team in England, Spain or Italy, I would think.
I could get sold on rooting for holland, I've really enjoyed their squad in previous international competitions.. I just looked up Klaas Jan Huntelaar, and he has 33 goals in 34 games.. that's insane! It won't be long before he gets sold to a Super team in England, Spain or Italy, I would think. I can't wait to
I read he is close to ending up on Real Madrid.Arsenal could use him :club:
I'll be supporting Portugal too... Ronaldo and Nani mostly, obv. They have a very decent group also.Group C looks to be the hardest, just looking at it now. (France, Italy, Holland, Romania). Very trueIn my eyes, Italy have to be favourites, but look for either Austria or Switzerland to go far (one of them to get to the semis, even though they're both shit)... history shows that in World Cups and European Championships, hosts nations over-perform drastically But those home nations have actually held some talent, Portugal, Holland/Belgium, England. Germany, S. Korea, France. So, I'll pick Austria to support out of those two. You of course realise Austria are horrible and even in their own country they had a petition to stop them entering and embarressing the country. Neither Austria or Switzerland will make it out their groups, they're both too poor.I think I'll be back to do a full prediction and some possible bets (hi LJB!) Hi!,when I've looked at draws/matches etc, a little bit later.
I also have a soft spot for Turkey.. but I don't hold much hope for them advancing. Me too, they used to play great football with Emre, Okan, Sukur, Hasan Sas, Arif, Davala. But recently their production line has dropped off, no reason either because the Turkish league has gotten stronger (Although maybe that's why, more money = more foreigners?)I could get sold on rooting for holland, I've really enjoyed their squad in previous international competitions.. I just looked up Klaas Jan Huntelaar, and he has 33 goals in 34 games.. that's insane! It won't be long before he gets sold to a Super team in England, Spain or Italy, I would think so. Has scored goals at all club levels but international is a different story, but without Van Nistelrooy (unless he and Van Basten make up) or Makaay they have no real spearhead for their prefered 4-3-3. I expect him to be the biggest star of the tournament. To be fair with Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart feeding you you'd have no excuse not to score!

You missed a few countries off your list of home nations though. Sweden, semi's in 1992, furthest they've ever got (also runner's up in the World Cup when they hosted it in 1958)Yugoslavia, 4th place in 1976Belgium, 3rd place in 1972.Then yeah, there's other good teams that have won it when they've hosted, like Spain's only win, in 1964, Italy in 1968, etc etc. But, they still won it when at home. Actually, if you look at the stats for home nations in World and Euros, it's incredible. Like, South American countries obv doing great when the World Cup is there (Chile came 3rd in 1962 when they hosted), South Korea, and then even a difference between Northern and Southern European host nations and the countries that do well.. e.g - Denmark won the European Cup when it was in Sweden in 1992. Other little facts too, like no European country has ever won the World Cup when it's been held outside of Europe.All I'm saying is, I'm confident that one of them will at least progress from the group stages, however crap they may be.One other thing... I can see Germany scoring a few goals in their group, so I'd go with the tournament's top scorer to come from them - Klose or Lukas Podolski, if he plays.

I, however, am supporting Croatia. Obviously because they dumped out England. And Luka Modric, this boy is special. Jono, if you read this, your Spurs have a great talent on their hands.
I usually support England but it is for this reason im going for Croatia all the way in this tournament. To see Modric win it would be fantastic, cant wait to see some decent action from him too as all ive really seen is a handful of his internationals such as the qualifiers against England.If I was a betting man tho, which I am, I would be putting money on Spain. Fabregas faded this season mainly because hes been playing football nonstop, with a rest behind him I think he will be instrumental in Spains success in this tournament. Torres' season needs no embellishment and although his partnership with Villa has never been great I think Torres premiership experience might change his game a bit to be able to work well with Villa. Also a world class defence and keeper never hurts.Germany have a relatively easy run to the final but dont have the quality to go all the way IMO. France seem to be finally getting rid of some of the untouchables from the squad and letting in some of the talented youth they have which combined with the experience of some will be a good mix. Italy the world champions ofcourse are a great shot although im not too convinced they have the legs to do it again.Dark horse for me could be Russia, mainly because of the Hiddink factor, will be very solid and grind out results and he'll be auditioning for his job at Chelsea with Abramovich once its over IMO.

Quick odds note on Russia, 33/1. Probably the best priced team in the tourney. Not gonna happen this year though. Turkiye all the way! Problem for Turkey is their group is horrendous.

Quick odds note on Russia, 33/1. Probably the best priced team in the tourney. Not gonna happen this year though. Turkiye all the way! Problem for Turkey is their group is horrendous.
Greece were over 100 to 1 at some points last time, never let the odds scare you off a bet. Yea Turkey could make a fight of it but wont make it out of the group stage I feel.
make alot of money betting on Spain in international competitions, do you?
Although they are the biggest underachievers in footballing history they still have probably the deepest squad in this tournament, but I suppose you could say that every tournament they play. They will piss their group, after that the jury will be out.

The beebs pundits have posted their predictions. Out of 15; 8 say Germany. 6 Spain and Jonathan Pearce says Portugal.

I'll be looking at Spain to do some wrecking.my favorites from the heart go to Switzerland/USA/Portugal.Pretty peeved that the English won't be on the pitch as they're my usual #1 to root for.

when does this start?
June 7th. Switzerland v Czech Rep. and Portugal v TurkeyJune 9th is the first super-sexy day though: Romania v France and Italy v Holland

To those of you who can bet on Betfair (otherwise laying off money on other teams later), there is a cracking bit of value in backing Czech Republic at 26.0 in the 'Outright Winner' market!! The idea being to arb upon end of group stage. The idea of the value comes from obtaining a much better effective price for them to qualify out of Group A than is available anywhere.They were top of qualifying for this tournament in beating Germany - conceding 5 - and have performed excellently at the last 3 tournaments(including in 2000 when they failed to get out of a group that included a very powerful Holland and France).The best price on them qualifying out of group A is ~ 5/6(1.84), but if you assume a worst 'Outright Price' price of 11.0 if they qualify, then laying at that point can give you a result of 5/4. A better post-group 'Outright' price like 9.0 can result in an effective price of say, 7/4. Obtaining anywhere from 5/4 to 5/2 about this team qualifying from group A is a very strong value bet IMO...

To those of you who can bet on Betfair (otherwise laying off money on other teams later), there is a cracking bit of value in backing Czech Republic at 26.0 in the 'Outright Winner' market!! The idea being to arb upon end of group stage. The idea of the value comes from obtaining a much better effective price for them to qualify out of Group A than is available anywhere.They were top of qualifying for this tournament in beating Germany - conceding 5 - and have performed excellently at the last 3 tournaments(including in 2000 when they failed to get out of a group that included a very powerful Holland and France).The best price on them qualifying out of group A is ~ 5/6(1.84), but if you assume a worst 'Outright Price' price of 11.0 if they qualify, then laying at that point can give you a result of 5/4. A better post-group 'Outright' price like 9.0 can result in an effective price of say, 7/4. Otaining anywhere from 5/4 to 5/2 about this team qualifying from group A is a very strong value bet IMO...
Now that is quality advice right there.

I know which home team will make the big run and take it down: Germany! And I got them in my work pool.Spain will make it until they run into Italy or France, Portugal should be favourites and yea Czech are worth a bet.

I know which home team will make the big run and take it down: Germany! And I got them in my work pool.Spain will make it until they run into Italy or France, Portugal should be favourites and yea Czech are worth a bet.
I think Germany is a good pick, but god damn I hate them and their style. Question for Euros.. with the Competition being in Austria, will Germany have a "home pitch" advantage at all, being that most Austrians are ethnically german and speak german? Or do Austria and Germany have a bitter rivalry and the crowds may take a anti-german color.