Please, please get rid of that Tony Danza avatar....it really creeps me out.
I second that. As for ROI a.k.a. "Return on Investment" (a.k.a. = also known as, since we are defining things :ts ) it is important to keep ROI in perspective.A negative ROI is not necessarily bad if you are learning poker. Learning often means an initially negative ROI (hopefully a SMALL negative :D ROI) but it is probably the wrong measure for a beginner.I find for beginner poker players, instead of concentrating on "ROI", you should dedicate yourself to keeping good records and think in terms of:"Earn Rate" and "Burn Rate" which is usually a monetary amount per hour. :D Earn rate = how much per hour you are winning.Burn Rate = how much per hour you are spending.Notice I use the word "spending" instead of "losing". If you are learning poker there is going to be a cost. Most people have "burn rates" over their poker lifetimes. Poker tournament players often get deep into a hole until they miraculously score a major tournament and even out. You can check this phenomenon at www.bluffmagazine.com/pokerdb by looking up the list of recent winners of the $100,000 prizes. More than half are breaking even after their big score. The rest are bricking gold ... but that is good.Thought I'd throw that out as an add-on to the ROI question which, IMHO (IMHO = In My Honest Opinion), is a good one coming from a beginner poker player. That said, figure out your "burn rate", then work to reduce it ... :club:
I second that. As for ROI a.k.a. "Return on Investment" (a.k.a. = also known as, since we are defining things :ts ) it is important to keep ROI in perspective.A negative ROI is not necessarily bad if you are learning poker. Learning often means an initially negative ROI (hopefully a SMALL negative :D ROI) but it is probably the wrong measure for a beginner.I find for beginner poker players, instead of concentrating on "ROI", you should dedicate yourself to keeping good records and think in terms of:"Earn Rate" and "Burn Rate" which is usually a monetary amount per hour. :D Earn rate = how much per hour you are winning.Burn Rate = how much per hour you are spending.Notice I use the word "spending" instead of "losing". If you are learning poker there is going to be a cost. Most people have "burn rates" over their poker lifetimes. Poker tournament players often get deep into a hole until they miraculously score a major tournament and even out. You can check this phenomenon at www.bluffmagazine.com/pokerdb by looking up the list of recent winners of the $100,000 prizes. More than half are breaking even after their big score. The rest are bricking gold ... but that is good.Thought I'd throw that out as an add-on to the ROI question which, IMHO (IMHO = In My Honest Opinion), is a good one coming from a beginner poker player. That said, figure out your "burn rate", then work to reduce it ... :club:
QFT...so much so I posted it in the other thread about SNG ROIs, as well. Thanks, flint.
after 400 SNGs, 5.50s, 10+1s, my ROI was 25%. Now at 530, it's 13%. Something tells me I'm horrible. But thank God for this game I suck at.