Cash Games During The Wsop?

So you know how everyone seems to talk about how great playing poker in vegas during the wsop is? Everyone flocks in to town, table are filled round the clock. Whenever people seem to talk to me about this they kinda hint how the games are easier during this time. This is my first year out here, Im not sure Im sold on this. Granted the series hasnt started but I have begun to notice a small influx of players which likely will still be getting bigger by the day. I try to grade my table skills for each session, and in the past week or so I have given slightly higher than average grades for my opponents. I mean, if these people are all flocking in to town for the wsop and such, arent they likely poker fans, and students of the game? Maybe I just need to wait till june gets into full swing and I need to head to the Rio and it will be easier. Im wondering if non-wsop times, when all these aspiring serious players arent in town, the games are actually easier. Anyone with good vegas experience care to comment? If u dont have experience but have any ideas about this situation, please feel free to comment just mention that u dont have actual playing hours.

People who talk about cash games being good during the WSOP are talking about bigger games. Really there isn't THAT much poker in Vegas and most of it is small stakes stuff. If you're looking at 10/25 NL and up the games are going to be way better. In part because there aren't a lot of games running at those stakes outside of tournament times.From personal experience I can say that the average 1/2 NL game during the WSOP will be considerably tougher. The "tourists" are people who are avid poker players. Probably still mostly recreational players at the 1/2 2/5 level but competent at the very least.

Stop distracting yourself with pointless details and play your cards
Stop distracting yourself with pointless responses to my posts
Stop distracting yourself with pointless responses to my posts
Look, the series hasn't even started. You'll see a ton of bad players show up. They'll mostly show up for the weekends and the $1,500 buy in events (wait, that's what I am going to do....coincidence??).Patience. You'll see what everyone talks about soon.
People who talk about cash games being good during the WSOP are talking about bigger games. Really there isn't THAT much poker in Vegas and most of it is small stakes stuff. If you're looking at 10/25 NL and up the games are going to be way better. In part because there aren't a lot of games running at those stakes outside of tournament times.From personal experience I can say that the average 1/2 NL game during the WSOP will be considerably tougher. The "tourists" are people who are avid poker players. Probably still mostly recreational players at the 1/2 2/5 level but competent at the very least.
Agree with this more than not, and the idea that the cash games are super easy is a myth.However I will add that the games at the Rio can be a gold mine IF you table select carefully. There were many bad players there in these games the past few years, killing time while friends played events, just wanting to play in that room, etc. but there were also some extremely good players mixed in those games. Be careful and move often if you need to. Sounds simple but most people will not get up and leave a tough game. Weird...Also, the word is out now so to speak and that just attracts even more decent players looking to take advantage.The fish will be there you'll just have to more diligent than in the past to find the right game.ONE WEEK BABY! :club:

There are hardly ever any completely incompetent players anymore, live or online. The edges are a lot smaller than they used to be. They'll be plenty of online "students of the game" once the series starts that will be just as bad as your daily "tourist". (I know this because I am one of those people and from being out there two of the last three WSOP's)

People don't come to Las Vegas during the WSOP to play 1/2 NL. The people who play those games are here already or would be visiting regardless. The side games that become awesome during the WSOP is 5/10 NL and above and 2/5 to some extent.

People don't come to Las Vegas during the WSOP to play 1/2 NL. The people who play those games are here already or would be visiting regardless. The side games that become awesome during the WSOP is 5/10 NL and above and 2/5 to some extent.
Well if it's AT the WSOP, they only run 2/5 or higher.I've only played once and it was a mixed bag. Some decent but not great players, and some pretty bad ones. Quite interesting characters though.
Last year during the first few days of the ME on average 3 of 10 people at my 1/2 table were ME participants. They didn't come to play 1/2. They came to play the ME. Because of the schedule - multiple days 1's with days off in between - and early bustouts from the tournament a lot of them play 1/2 or 2/5 in their downtime.

The easiest 2/5 table I've ever played at was at the rio on the weekend during the WSOP. At least half of the people at the table were either tilting from just busting out of the $1500 they were already dead money in, or came with a friend, got bored and decided "hey, why not give poker a try".

Huge fish at one of my tables today talking about playing 2/5 at the Mirage. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO exciting.

The easiest 2/5 table I've ever played at was at the rio on the weekend during the WSOP. At least half of the people at the table were either tilting from just busting out of the $1500 they were already dead money in, or came with a friend, got bored and decided "hey, why not give poker a try".
Bingo. I have always felt that this is what made the games so good. People that bust out of a tourney and then play cash games.Even in my local B&M they run a $100 tourney on Thursdays. They get about 125 players. All the cash games break to make room for tourney, and all the players play the tourney. I dont play the tourney sometimes and put myself first on the list for cash games so I get to play first when the first tourney table busts. Game is soooo good.
The easiest 2/5 table I've ever played at was at the rio on the weekend during the WSOP. At least half of the people at the table were either tilting from just busting out of the $1500 they were already money in, or came with a friend, got bored and decided "hey, why not give poker a try".
"After all, it can't be much different than the home games I've been playing my whole life..."

I played a lot of 2/5 NL, 2/5 PLO and 5/10 NL during last years' WSOP. The level of play was much lower than my other trips at those levels. You get a lot of guys who are decent 1/2 NL players who save up a bunch of cash to blow during a special event. Very juicy.

If you can't average $100 profit even at the 1/2NL tables at the WSOP, you need to recheck your skills. Soft is an understatement when it comes to describig the low limit cash action at the WSOP.

If you can't average $100 profit even at the 1/2NL tables at the WSOP, you need to recheck your skills. Soft is an understatement when it comes to describig the low limit cash action at the WSOP.
I'll be playing 30 hour sessions. If I can't average $100 profit, I'm lucky there are lots of tall building around.
What do you guys think about games away from the Rio?More scared money?
Standard/same. Last year at MGM half the players didn't even know the WSOP was going on.
I'll be playing 30 hour sessions. If I can't average $100 profit, I'm lucky there are lots of tall building around.
VooDoo lounge is right there atop the Rio for convenience.Great view as you are plunging face down towards the asphalt.