Beginner in golf. Trying to get good at said game. Need a complete set of clubs to use instead of gf's grandfather's old whack set. Price range is $200-$300. Was looking at some of the sets at Dicks Sporting Goods, but wanted to hear some of your opinions on what is good for a beginner set.

Beginner in golf. Trying to get good at said game. Need a complete set of clubs to use instead of gf's grandfather's old whack set. Price range is $200-$300. Was looking at some of the sets at Dicks Sporting Goods, but wanted to hear some of your opinions on what is good for a beginner set.
pretty solid thread.

Buy a used "good" set of clubs, in my opinion. Most golf shops will take trade ins on new clubs, then refurbish and sell the trade ins. I'd rather spend $399 on a set of Pings that's a couple years old than to buy a brand new crap set off the rack.Go check out your local golf shop. Ask the pro there what he has used. Chances are they can even "fit" you for the clubs.I've played with both kinds, the 11pc off the rack cheapo set, and the brand name "why are these $800 irons" Callaways. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for getting the name brand, and the fact they're used won't matter ONE bit. Get em regripped for $12/club and they're just like new.

Buy a used "good" set of clubs, in my opinion. Most golf shops will take trade ins on new clubs, then refurbish and sell the trade ins. I'd rather spend $399 on a set of Pings that's a couple years old than to buy a brand new crap set off the rack.Go check out your local golf shop. Ask the pro there what he has used. Chances are they can even "fit" you for the clubs.I've played with both kinds, the 11pc off the rack cheapo set, and the brand name "why are these $800 irons" Callaways. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for getting the name brand, and the fact they're used won't matter ONE bit. Get em regripped for $12/club and they're just like new.
i was looking at the new set of top flight xl 5000's series clubs for $300. they're made by callaway so it's not like it's an ebay brand or w/e

I can't be too much help except by telling you the clubs I have, but you should probably get a good bag if you're walking the course. The ones with two straps like a backpack and a stand on are by far the best. One strap = backache.

I've got a set of Titleist DCI 981 irons, regular flex steel shaft, that I could sell you. I have 3-PW and they are in good shape. PM me and we can work something out.