Documentary On Homosexuality And Religion

FYI I haven't watched it all yet, but the first few minutes are so damn entertaining that my expectations are high for the rest of the documentary.The blurb on googlevids:For The Bible Tells Me So - 98 minAn exploration of the intersection between religion and homosexuality in the U.S. and some religious have used its interpretation of the Bible to stigmatize the gay community. We meet five Christian families, each with a gay or lesbian child. Parents talk about their marriages and church-going, their children's childhood and coming out, their reactions, and changes over time. The stories told by these nine parents and four adult children alternate with talking heads - Protestant and Jewish theologians - and with film clips of fundamentalist preachers and pundits and news clips of people in the street. They discuss scripture and biblical scholarship. A thesis of the film is that much of Christianity's homophobia represents a misreading of scripture, a denial of science, and an embrace of quack psychology. The families call for love.Watch it here and share your thoughts and reaction: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80...12330&hl=en

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI I haven't watched it all yet, but the first few minutes are so damn entertaining that my expectations are high for the rest of the documentary.The blurb on googlevids:For The Bible Tells Me So - 98 minAn exploration of the intersection between religion and homosexuality in the U.S. and some religious have used its interpretation of the Bible to stigmatize the gay community. We meet five Christian families, each with a gay or lesbian child. Parents talk about their marriages and church-going, their children's childhood and coming out, their reactions, and changes over time. The stories told by these nine parents and four adult children alternate with talking heads - Protestant and Jewish theologians - and with film clips of fundamentalist preachers and pundits and news clips of people in the street. They discuss scripture and biblical scholarship. A thesis of the film is that much of Christianity's homophobia represents a misreading of scripture, a denial of science, and an embrace of quack psychology. The families call for love.Watch it here and share your thoughts and reaction: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=80...12330&hl=en
This is in my netflix queue. I'm sure it will be interesting once it shows up at the house. Sadly, I'm sure none of the families are actually Christians, but I'm used to that by now. Narrator: "No seriously, this person is a Christian even though they don't believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. But they go to that big Christian church on the corner a couple of times a year... so they absolutely represent Jesus Christ himself."
This is in my netflix queue. I'm sure it will be interesting once it shows up at the house. Sadly, I'm sure none of the families are actually Christians, but I'm used to that by now. Narrator: "No seriously, this person is a Christian even though they don't believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. But they go to that big Christian church on the corner a couple of times a year... so they absolutely represent Jesus Christ himself."
I am 12 minutes in, so far all the parents are devoted church goers, the family it is discussing now comes from a long line of pastors - the dad was the church leader and the mum was the Sunday school teacher.
You can be gay all you want, you just can't go to heaven doing it. That makes it no different then if my thing was bopping old ladies in the head with sticks-sin is sin. I never understood the need to stigmatize, on the flip side I don't understand the need to feel so accepted either, at least in heaven. I mean, this is an elite club, not the Webelos. There are standards.
I am 12 minutes in, so far all the parents are devoted church goers, the family it is discussing now comes from a long line of pastors - the dad was the church leader and the mum was the Sunday school teacher.
Honestly, until you started this thread I didn't even know that this documentary was about homosexuality. Now I'm even more interested in it than I was before. I'll probably need to bump it up towards the top of my queue, as it's way down at 23 right now.Tenacious D: Complete Masterworks: Disc 1 Tenacious D: Complete Masterworks: Disc 2 Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story The Station Agent A Room with a View: Special Edition The Business of Being Born Arrested Development: Season 1: Disc 1 Maxed Out Wordplay The Bridge Galapagos Murderball Motherland Afghanistan3:10 to Yuma C.S. Lewis & The Chronicles of Narnia Deliver Us from Evil Zodiac Dogtown and Z-Boys Miller's Crossing Murder on a Sunday Morning Arrested Development: Season 1: Disc 2 The Darjeeling Limited For the Bible Tells Me So Barton Fink
You can be gay all you want, you just can't go to heaven doing it. That makes it no different then if my thing was bopping old ladies in the head with sticks-sin is sin. I never understood the need to stigmatize, on the flip side I don't understand the need to feel so accepted either, at least in heaven. I mean, this is an elite club, not the Webelos. There are standards.
The documentary points out that there are a lot of other sins listed in the bible, like not eating shrimp, not wearing wool and linen together etc. You can't just pick out "man laying with man" and say that's the only one that counts.Also, it says homosexuality is an 'abomination' which in that culture and context meant "against ritual" or "against the tradition", not morally wrong or sinful. The bible can also be read as saying masturbation is a sin, but I bet you wank. The point is, Christians are totally hypocritical saying homosexuality is a sin etc when they ignore so many other parts of the bible when going about their everyday lives.
Honestly, until you started this thread I didn't even know that this documentary was about homosexuality. Now I'm even more interested in it than I was before. I'll probably need to bump it up towards the top of my queue, as it's way down at 23 right now. The Bridge For the Bible Tells Me So Barton Fink
I would recommend you bump the Bridge down a lot and bump Barton Fink up to near the top. The latter is an awesome movie, a really brilliant work.
The documentary points out that there are a lot of other sins listed in the bible, like not eating shrimp, not wearing wool and linen together etc. You can't just pick out "man laying with man" and say that's the only one that counts.Also, it says homosexuality is an 'abomination' which in that culture and context meant "against ritual" or "against the tradition", not morally wrong or sinful. The bible can also be read as saying masturbation is a sin, but I bet you wank. The point is, Christians are totally hypocritical saying homosexuality is a sin etc when they ignore so many other parts of the bible when going about their everyday lives.
Ummmmm... why did you repeat what I said? I compared homsexuality to any other sin. Also, don't make the mistake of ignoring the message because the messenger is not perfect. Oftentimes a complete douche- like me-will still be correct. To just say "christians are hypocritical" is incorrect. Many christians do there dead best to live the life 100% the way God asked, and that includes not commiting homosexual acts. It always blows me away that no one can see the real issue- it's the act, it starts in the mind but it's the act, everyone battles there mind on some level. I happen to love mexican cougars, but my wife is a white 30 year old, and I must be faithful. However, I would REALLY like to **** mexican cougars. That's my battle- for a man/woman with gay thoughts, that inclination, that would be his/her battle- either one of us could go to hell for indulging in our respective sins.
Ummmmm... why did you repeat what I said? I compared homsexuality to any other sin. Also, don't make the mistake of ignoring the message because the messenger is not perfect. Oftentimes a complete douche- like me-will still be correct. To just say "christians are hypocritical" is incorrect. Many christians do there dead best to live the life 100% the way God asked, and that includes not commiting homosexual acts. It always blows me away that no one can see the real issue- it's the act, it starts in the mind but it's the act, everyone battles there mind on some level. I happen to love mexican cougars, but my wife is a white 30 year old, and I must be faithful. However, I would REALLY like to **** mexican cougars. That's my battle- for a man/woman with gay thoughts, that inclination, that would be his/her battle- either one of us could go to hell for indulging in our respective sins.
The point of my post was that it isn't a sin if read in historical context. In the 10 commandments adultery is explicitly listed as a sin, homosexuality isn't. They aren't comparable.
The point of my post was that it isn't a sin if read in historical context. In the 10 commandments adultery is explicitly listed as a sin, homosexuality isn't. They aren't comparable.
Terrible example. Alot of things aren't mentioned in the 10 commandments. Out of curiosity, what does this mean to you:[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.[26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:[27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.That's in Romans. Seems pretty clear to me. Vile affections- does that sound like something that is heaven bound? Unseemly, reprobate(unchangeable)- then it says they are worthy of death? That seems pretty serious- then it takes it one step farther, and implicates those that have pleasure in those that do these things are worthy of the same. Wow. Really left no stone unturned there.The question isn't whether or not the bible speaks against the homo gays, it does, the question is whether or not you believe the bible. There is nothing saying that anyone HAS to believe; I am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy and statistically that will leave people outside of Gods graces.All that being said on a personal level I have many gay friends, and love them all. I am as much a sinner as they. I also wonder at times how God will treat those who caused this to happen- like, my friend whos mother used to dress him up in dresses and make him act like a girl. She wanted a girl, she got one, at what price?
lois: can you please point me to the sects of society that are currently being ostracized and condemned both socially and politically for eating shrimp?
Hi- try to not be stupid. I know thats tough, but try.
or you could try answering the question, but I know you won't.christians in this country and abroad have strongly and openly condemned homosexuality as evil and deplorable, and have made it their mission to curb the rights of people who choose the lifestyle. they don't want homosexuals to be able to marry, to have children, or hell, even teach in schools. if homosexuality is "just another sin" like you say, then why are people who eat shrimp, cheat on their spouses, or use the lords name in vain targeted as such? you know its hypocritical, but I also know you won't admit it even though it seems unbelievably obvious to me.
Terrible example. Alot of things aren't mentioned in the 10 commandments. Out of curiosity, what does this mean to you:[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.[26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:[27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.That's in Romans. Seems pretty clear to me. Vile affections- does that sound like something that is heaven bound? Unseemly, reprobate(unchangeable)- then it says they are worthy of death? That seems pretty serious- then it takes it one step farther, and implicates those that have pleasure in those that do these things are worthy of the same. Wow. Really left no stone unturned there.The question isn't whether or not the bible speaks against the homo gays, it does, the question is whether or not you believe the bible. There is nothing saying that anyone HAS to believe; I am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy and statistically that will leave people outside of Gods graces.All that being said on a personal level I have many gay friends, and love them all. I am as much a sinner as they. I also wonder at times how God will treat those who caused this to happen- like, my friend whos mother used to dress him up in dresses and make him act like a girl. She wanted a girl, she got one, at what price?
That long tract doesn't really make much sense. Obviously the bible can be interpreted in different ways, often wrongly, but it seems to me that the part saying they are worthy of death isn't for the homosexuality, but for the sins listed, e.g. envy, murder, disobedience to parents etc. Furthermore that tract shows how the meaning of words was different when that was written, e.g. "to do those things which are not convenient" clearly doesn't mean doing things which aren't easy or simple, which is what the word convenient means to us now.
or you could try answering the question, but I know you won't.christians in this country and abroad have strongly and openly condemned homosexuality as evil and deplorable, and have made it their mission to curb the rights of people who choose the lifestyle. they don't want homosexuals to be able to marry, to have children, or hell, even teach in schools. if homosexuality is "just another sin" like you say, then why are people who eat shrimp, cheat on their spouses, or use the lords name in vain targeted as such? you know its hypocritical, but I also know you won't admit it even though it seems unbelievably obvious to me.
Because it's a non issue. I don't know one christian who targets homosexuals in any way. To do so would be deploreable and ungodly. Sin is sin. How may times do I need to type that before someone actually reads it?
Because it's a non issue. I don't know one christian who targets homosexuals in any way. To do so would be deploreable and ungodly. Sin is sin. How may times do I need to type that before someone actually reads it?
What?Targeting a homosexual would be ungodly... unlike god, who you have just argued killed men for having sex with other men?
That long tract doesn't really make much sense. Obviously the bible can be interpreted in different ways, often wrongly, but it seems to me that the part saying they are worthy of death isn't for the homosexuality, but for the sins listed, e.g. envy, murder, disobedience to parents etc. Furthermore that tract shows how the meaning of words was different when that was written, e.g. "to do those things which are not convenient" clearly doesn't mean doing things which aren't easy or simple, which is what the word convenient means to us now.
I gave you the above and below because it helps to keep it in context, but lets start in 24-26 and walk through it. It's very, very clear when you actually read it:[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.[26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: Something is unclean, hasn't pinpointed it, then he talks of dishonoring bodies. Ok, becoming clearer. Truth of God into a lie, worship the creature-us- more than creator. That's just putting this flesh over God. Then, in 26 he talks about vile affections, and mentions women chnaging the natural use? Be specific, man!! Then, 27:[27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. It says the men-likewise, the men- did the same thing!! And then it makes it a bit more clear- men with men,burning in there luist(hmm, wonder what that means) working that which is unseemly- which is to say, not good, not what God intended, not what God wants to see, kapeesh? Pretty clear. The thing is, he is not just addressing homosexuals, which is the beauty of it- he is addressing a bunch of different types of sinners, and then condemns em all, puts them on equal ground, which is what you wanted,right? Well, he does it in the next 6 or so verses:[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.Culiminating the end of the thought process, with "they who commit such things are worthy of death." There is no break or pause, it's all tied together, and it flows real well, if you read it and pay attention. Truthfully, to get this wrong you would have to try very, very hard to do so.All this being said, let me say, once again, homosexuality is no different in Gods eyes than ANY OTHER SIN, it can ALL take you to hell. I thinks it's deplorable, and so does God, those who would persecute- let he that is without sin, right? Not to mention, vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord. Not one christian in the entire universe has the right in Gods eyes to persecute anybody for anything. A christians job is to maintain his own house, plain and simple.
What?Targeting a homosexual would be ungodly... unlike god, who you have just argued killed men for having sex with other men?
He said worthy of death, just like everybody else he put in that category, backbiters, adulterous, etc.--- the difference is that's Gods job. He didn't say, "worthy of death, now go kill." Remember,vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord.
All this being said, let me say, once again, homosexuality is no different in Gods eyes than ANY OTHER SIN, it can ALL take you to hell. I thinks it's deplorable, and so does God, those who would persecute- let he that is without sin, right? Not to mention, vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord. Not one christian in the entire universe has the right in Gods eyes to persecute anybody for anything. A christians job is to maintain his own house, plain and simple.
So when people tell me that my wife and I are bad people who are going to hell because we are going to try one round of ICIC to get her pregnant aren't actually real Christians?
The other sins you listed are parts of the law and the makers of that documentary obviously don't understand Christianity if they are using that as an "I got you" moment. The New Testament in the same Bible says that things like eating shrimp and wearing clothes aren't important anymore because Jesus freed us from the old covenant laws.
Dwelling on those thoughts probably isn't good either.
lois: can you please point me to the sects of society that are currently being ostracized and condemned both socially and politically for eating shrimp?
These should go together because Sal is being stupid.
The shrimp point is what is stupid because that is the old law, which I'm sure you're familiar with since you seem like a Biblical scholar. The "Christians" that condemn homosexuality and then cheat on their spouses and use the Lord's name in vain are not Christians.... since they obviously don't care at all about their own sin. I could care less what some human condemns or thinks is important and you shouldn't either. Just look at the Bible.... What does the Bible say? Because that is all that matters. This is what the BIBLE says about this:Luke 6:37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."39He also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.41"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. This is the only thing that matters. If a person claiming to be a Christian goes against this passage then you can rightfully call them a hypocrite. (ps.. A Christian saying that something is wrong according to the Bible is not unbiblical, in fact, if you read the passage you will see that clearly you are required to fix your problems first and then come along side your brother and help him with his, in a loving non-judgmental way.)
Lois, you need to quit using the King James version. It even confuses English people.
So when people tell me that my wife and I are bad people who are going to hell because we are going to try one round of ICIC to get her pregnant aren't actually real Christians?
Telling somebody something is wrong isn't persecution. Coming to your house, painting it on your car, and chanting with signs is persecution. Huge difference. That's one thing I have noticed in this country, we have totally lost perspective when it comes to what is actually persecution. Good luck to you and your wife.
Telling somebody something is wrong isn't persecution. Coming to your house, painting it on your car, and chanting with signs is persecution. Huge difference. That's one thing I have noticed in this country, we have totally lost perspective when it comes to what is actually persecution. Good luck to you and your wife.
Ahh, noted.Thanks. If it doesn't work than we go adoption.
The other sins you listed are parts of the law and the makers of that documentary obviously don't understand Christianity if they are using that as an "I got you" moment. The New Testament in the same Bible says that things like eating shrimp and wearing clothes aren't important anymore because Jesus freed us from the old covenant laws.Dwelling on those thoughts probably isn't good either.These should go together because Sal is being stupid.The shrimp point is what is stupid because that is the old law, which I'm sure you're familiar with since you seem like a Biblical scholar. The "Christians" that condemn homosexuality and then cheat on their spouses and use the Lord's name in vain are not Christians.... since they obviously don't care at all about their own sin. I could care less what some human condemns or thinks is important and you shouldn't either. Just look at the Bible.... What does the Bible say? Because that is all that matters. This is what the BIBLE says about this:Luke 6:37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."39He also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.41"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. This is the only thing that matters. If a person claiming to be a Christian goes against this passage then you can rightfully call them a hypocrite. (ps.. A Christian saying that something is wrong according to the Bible is not unbiblical, in fact, if you read the passage you will see that clearly you are required to fix your problems first and then come along side your brother and help him with his, in a loving non-judgmental way.)Lois, you need to quit using the King James version. It even confuses English people.
Lol. I walked her through it. She should be good. Out of curiosity, what do the new translations say, same scriptures in Romans?
I would say no... they are not. Or else they are baby Christians that have very little understanding of the Bible or God.
Lol. I walked her through it. She should be good. Out of curiosity, what do the new translations say, same scriptures in Romans?
NIV: 24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. 26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. 28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.NASB: (most literal translation available) 24Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. 25For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, 30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; 32and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.