Speaking of fads has anyone seen how many "barely used" poker tables have been in the classifieds lately?
LOL my local craigslist is loaded with them.

I was a huge card freak and it got the point where my Mom got hooked on it too. Her peak was when the big cards to get were NBA Skybox rookie cards of guys like Mutombo and Larry Johnson and guys like. At one point she was buying way more then I was. Im sure some of you remember the first Dream Team...I don't remember the company (probably skybox) they put out a 3 card set that was a big team photo that was chopped three ways and you had to collect all three and it wasn't super easy. I remember plowing through boxes trying to get that. We finally got it, put it an a special holder. It is actually sitting in a time capsual that I made in 1994 in eight grade that I should get back at my HS reunion this year. Good times. We used to have boxes and boxes of cards but i don't think any of them are left.

Oh, the gambling thing was huge for us too.I mean, that's basically what packs became.One of my most vivid memories: Going to the card shop with $20 birthday cash and buying packs of 1989 Upper Deck Series 1. 5 packs in, I got a Griffey. Life was so, so good.Traded it for more packs (why? Why trade a Griffey for more packs of 89 Upper Deck when the best you can possibly do is to get back what you just traded in? Let's call that a "life lesson")Traded the residual pile of commons and semi stars for more packs...
That's so true. I did the same thing. I remember getting the Jose Canseco cards, Michael Jordan Upper Deck card, I flipped them for more packs. Why? Because I was a degenerate back then too I guess. I remember the last time I looked at my cards, seeing my Topps Barry Bonds rookie card thinking "wtf kind of sh!t is this guy on now?". I guess it was the cream and the clear.
I was a huge card freak and it got the point where my Mom got hooked on it too. Her peak was when the big cards to get were NBA Skybox rookie cards of guys like Mutombo and Larry Johnson and guys like. At one point she was buying way more then I was. Im sure some of you remember the first Dream Team...I don't remember the company (probably skybox) they put out a 3 card set that was a big team photo that was chopped three ways and you had to collect all three and it wasn't super easy. I remember plowing through boxes trying to get that. We finally got it, put it an a special holder. It is actually sitting in a time capsual that I made in 1994 in eight grade that I should get back at my HS reunion this year. Good times. We used to have boxes and boxes of cards but i don't think any of them are left.
Mutumbo, Larry Johnson, and Harold Miner. DAMN that year!

91-92.That was the period I distinctly recall philosophizing about the economics of this whole thing. It was the year that Upper Deck baseball had the "Hank Aaron Hologram" insert card that, for a very, very brief period of time, was selling for upwards of $50 each. A friend of mine, TJ, bought two boxes and got 3 Aaron holograms; none in the first box, three in the second box in the space of three consecutive packs. Some kid casually remarked "wouldn't it be awesome if everyone who bought a pack got an Aaron hologram"TJ immediately retorted "Well, then I guess packs would be selling for $50 each if there was one Aaron hologram per pack".The logic being that since the Aaron card had a 'book value' of $50, then obviously, if they were issued one per pack, the packs would be $50 too.That instant- the very moment the words left his mouth and entered my auditory range- I started to rethink the entire concept of 'collectible sports cards' and got my first dose of an awesome early-education on mania behavior.

Also...I am buying pro-mold PC1 snap tites for my new acquisitions (latest: mint Cal Ripken Jr rookie for under $6 FTW)pc1.jpgCan anyone advocate in favor of the one screw holders over these?I ****ing hate toploaders.

Also...I am buying pro-mold PC1 snap tites for my new acquisitions (latest: mint Cal Ripken Jr rookie for under $6 FTW)Can anyone advocate in favor of the one screw holders over these?I ****ing hate toploaders.
Damn those things!! They would strip SOOO easily. But that's prolly cause I changed cards in them like every 30 minutes.

Back in the day when they were the "4-screw" jobbies....Now they're super-easy single screw. Damn kids today get all the breaks.

Back in the day when they were the "4-screw" jobbies....Now they're super-easy single screw. Damn kids today get all the breaks.
<----------the autographed Brett Favre card is in one of these. :club:
LOL...just found this thread and was gonna post my story....Thanks Guapo!
No prob.I would add stuff, but you are all pretty much saying what I would have said anyway. Especially the part about gambling on packs, good lord we should have all just called GA when we were 14.

Learned something new today....Remember "Broder Cards" ?You would go into a card show and there would always be a guy with a table selling piles of unlicensed, 'homemade looking' Michael Jordan, Nolan Ryan and other huge name players cards for $1 each?Well, these cards eventually came to be called "Broder Cards".I guess the reason for this is the first person to start doing it was an actual dude named Rob Broder; he would take pictures of players, then run off a bunch of unlicensed "trading cards" depicting their image. At the bottom, it would say "Photo By Rob Broder" or something like it. Over time, any unlicensed "fake" cards came to be universally known as "Broder Cards".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...