Wsop 2008 Final Table In November

I think it's gonna be somewhere between $250,000 and $300,000 depending on how it's compounded and the amount of the prize pool.
Whatever interst is made on those funds should definitely be applied towards the total prize pool.
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(FCP Info @ Saturday, April 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM) If you view the WSOP Main Event as the ultimate reality game show the concept is brilliant.You'll have all that time to hype things and the players themselves will have tremendous opportunities to leverage their success. ESPN will have the time to create a huge buzz for the live final table.I think every average player who is going to play in the event should love the idea and even the best pros will gain a lot more exposure with the delayed format if they make the final table. The average player will not only have their time in the spotlight extended but they'll have an opportunity to work on their game and prepare for the final table.I don't view the WSOP main event as any sort of hallowed tradition bound thing that shouldn't be messed with, it's just a poker tournament.
I disagree with everything written hereAn amateur at the final table has other considerations. That player will undoubtedly be playing for their biggest score, which might motivate them to train for poker the whole time; however, that overlooks the fact that the bottom two or three payouts are life changing but not retirement inducing. A player (especially an amateur) will have to deal with the fact that they have a regular job that they have to go back to (taking four months off to train at poker is likely to be frowned upon), and even if they are able to take the time to develop they either have to sell a percentage of themselves to do so (likely getting gouged due to their need) or they have to somehow learn at a level that is faster than the other final table players that already have an edge. A pro will have better resources at their disposal and will be able to devote all of their time to learning.The endorsements argument is illusory. All of the players that final table can get endorsement deals that are lucrative and that is unlikely to change during the intervening months. The final table already has huge buzz so ESPN's benefits are marginal. Not to mention there is likely to be some backlash, which might hurt the network, who will clearly be blamed for this change. And of course the WSOP Main Event is a proud, if not hallowed, tradition. The event is significant and involves the best players in the world. Sort of like Wimbledon or the Masters (which are really just a tennis tournament and a golf tournament respectively), are hallowed traditions that people care about. The Main Event bracelet is huge and it has a huge impact on the public (see Chan, Hellmuth and especially Moneymaker), which is not caused by other BIG poker tournaments. A WPT event, in fact any WPT event, does not have a fraction of the prestige of the WSOP Main Event.

Not to start a whole other issue, but did anyone else see the tenative espn broadcast schedule?The tentative schedule of TV coverage for this year's event is as follows:• July 22 - Event 1: $10,000 pot-limit hold 'em• July 29 - Event 2: $1,500 no-limit hold 'em• Aug. 5 - Event 3: $1,500 pot-limit hold 'em or Event 4: $5,000 mixed hold 'em• Aug. 12 - Event 5: $1,000 no-limit hold 'em with rebuys• Aug. 19 - Event 45: $50,000 HORSE• Aug. 26 - Event 50: $10,000 pot-limit Omaha• Sept. 2 to Oct. 28 - Event 55: $10,000 no-limit hold 'em main event• Nov. 4 - Event 55: WSOP main event final table preview show• Nov. 11 - Event 55: WSOP main event final table Maybe its just me but that doesnt really excite me too much

I would be curious to see a poll conducted to see what % is in favour of this and the % not in favour. There appears to be a lot more people not liking the idea (myself included), and it just seems like another case of the WSOP not treating it's players how the players would like to be treated.

Two thoughts:1.) If they're going to actually do this, you might as well move it to Thanksgiving Night at 9pm and capture one of the largest TV audiences of the year. After all, the only thing they're competing with is the NFL Network game, which tons of households don't have.2.) 117 days is more than enough time to draw up a legal contract for all final tablers to be a no-show. Split it in equal amounts, leaving ESPN with the most embarrassing broadcast in history. Now unlike as it is this would happen, it sure would be funny. I can't think of a better 'fuck you' for messing with the WSOP ME.

Not to start a whole other issue, but did anyone else see the tenative espn broadcast schedule?The tentative schedule of TV coverage for this year's event is as follows:• July 22 - Event 1: $10,000 pot-limit hold 'em• July 29 - Event 2: $1,500 no-limit hold 'em• Aug. 5 - Event 3: $1,500 pot-limit hold 'em or Event 4: $5,000 mixed hold 'em• Aug. 12 - Event 5: $1,000 no-limit hold 'em with rebuys• Aug. 19 - Event 45: $50,000 HORSE• Aug. 26 - Event 50: $10,000 pot-limit Omaha• Sept. 2 to Oct. 28 - Event 55: $10,000 no-limit hold 'em main event• Nov. 4 - Event 55: WSOP main event final table preview show• Nov. 11 - Event 55: WSOP main event final table Maybe its just me but that doesnt really excite me too much
So we get 6 shows that are not the ME only 2 of which are non-holdem and then like 10 shows of the ME? That's gross. There's really no reason to show event #2 or especially event #3. And even though I play pretty much only hold'em I'd love to see a stud event, a stud/8 event, an 0/8 event, maybe an 0/8 stud/8 event and a triple draw event. The lineup that they're showing will mean that known pros will get very little TV time which I think is horrid for poker.

imo.....This is a BAD idea.To only shorten the outcome window from 117 days to 1 day?Most "Poker" viewers who have any media sources will know the outcome before airing anyway.I can't believe CardPlayer and Bluff and others are going to keep wraps on this before the broadcast.The only way this format works is to do it live. PokerDome style.Does this mean there's not going to be a final table pay-per-view broadcast this year?Anyone with above averge poker knowledge can still follow whats going on without having to see hole cards during a live pay-per-view broadcast. In fact ,it's a great challange to put players on hands only to verify that read once you see the hole cards later in a taped broadcast. Yangs J-J vs Childs Q-Q early last year is a classic example.This sounds like ESPN forcing their hand to push out the pay-per-view broadcast.Live pay-per-view PokerDome style is truly the only way to keep the suspense alive.Not the bastardized semi-suspense television we are going to witnewss this year.The comments about Final Table players being able to watch the broadcasts of earlier play before playing the final table?This is huge. Playing poker is all about the information.Well....just my 2c

Wouldn't this be great:117 days for the 9 players to work out a chop........No broadcast...lol
ESPN would never have to worry about thisSome of the people will inevitably care about the bracelet and winning it legitimately; not to mention that a pro would not chop with amateurs (even amateurs with four months of training), so any pro at the final table would screw up a chop; that said, as I noted above, the idea is still terrible
While poker pro Daniel Negreanu also applauds the timetable, he says it will make for a "different dynamic" at the final table. "You're going to see some really kind of more sophisticated play," he says.The WSOP is a 55-event series of tournaments that begins May 30. ESPN will begin airing taped broadcasts of various events July 22. Negreanu expects players at the final table to monitor those."They're going to watch the ESPN broadcasts and go, 'Oh, did you notice that? When he does this, he's bluffing,' " Negreanu says.
I see.Can you esplain this comment please.If by different dynamic you mean plenty of time to revamp your play and maybe get a read on the others???But riddle me this...what about the " I'm running good " factor ? Getting to any final table means running good right? Thats a long time to cool off...I'm just saying. I know that it's just as much midset as anything but it's still a factor.I don't see a total upside or downside. Just a change that could go either way.

Imagine going on the run that Jamie Gold had when he won. Having to wait would certainly kill something like that. Yeah...there is technically no such thing as going on a rush...but try telling that to the guy that's on one. Plus the whole coaching thing, and the fact that the FT will be even more whored out than usual....AND the whole what if I can't make it thing...HARRAH'S....YOU ARE RUINING THE WORLD SERIES OF POKERI am surprised that DN is quoted as liking this idea.

I like it. More buildup. More hype. More suspense. More drama.I'm surprised all you guys are so opposed. You all seem like a bunch of drama queens to me. You should be down for this.

I see Daniel browsing this thread, I would be curious if he would be willing to coach someone at the final table should he not make it. What kind of paramaters would he put around the arraingment and if willing to disclose, what a standard coaching % fee would be.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but how much would it blow to get to the final table w/ like 1.5 bb's... having to wait all that time.Then again, the exposure from poker-press might compensate for your delayed impending doom.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but how much would it blow to get to the final table w/ like 1.5 bb's... having to wait all that time.Then again, the exposure from poker-press might compensate for your delayed impending doom.
A) awesome exposure for this person, +EVB) probably not as good endorsement monies, -EVC) don't have to spend as much on coaching, be push and pray for a hold for first several pots played, +EV
A) awesome exposure for this person, +EVB) probably not as good endorsement monies, -EVC) don't have to spend as much on coaching, be push and pray for a hold for first several pots played, +EV
This is the first time in history a 9th place finisher has a chance of being remembered, imo.