Wsop 2008 Final Table In November

Because ESPN is a whore...as are the people that run the WSOP...this is a horrible idea which probably means that it will happen.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say goodbye to a good final table structure too. Do you really think ESPN will allow a structure that lets it go on for 12-16 hours. Nope it will be calling all in with A10 preflop by hour 4.

It's just not the same game by doing thisAny psychological advantages gained/lost by players on the previous days play will be completely gone. Weak/inexperienced players could come back a completely different player to the one you played on the second to last day. Essentially a fresh start for some. There's so many reasons this is wrong.

Yea that's pretty stupid.......What if someone dies
What if someones MURDERED!
I was gna mention both of these ,, the less ppl at the final tble the more money amirite ?? money does evil things to ppl .espn and harras are a bunch of whores as was stated lol any pro who supports this is an idiot imo .

This will probably good for us fans and for entertainment but as a professional poker player who is trying to make it... this is as stupid as it gets. For guys who are already set like Daniel and Hellmuth it doesn't matter much because they just want poker to get bigger since they have the monies already. What else sport does this kind of championship?? NBA.. play regular season play post season but have a 3 month break to play the NBA finals... hahah big joke there. You lose any sort of momentum, and liek what others have been saying here it discards all pyschology that has been already established.. its basically a random sitngo.I thought WSOP and ESPN have already made a steady income on this event... they are just taking it to far making the most prestigious poker tournament in the world possibly a joke. I really think this move is disrespectful to the tradition, and game of the World Series of Poker.

This will probably good for us fans and for entertainment but as a professional poker player who is trying to make it... this is as stupid as it gets. For guys who are already set like Daniel and Hellmuth it doesn't matter much because they just want poker to get bigger since they have the monies already. What else sport does this kind of championship?? NBA.. play regular season play post season but have a 3 month break to play the NBA finals... hahah big joke there. You lose any sort of momentum, and liek what others have been saying here it discards all pyschology that has been already established.. its basically a random sitngo.I thought WSOP and ESPN have already made a steady income on this event... they are just taking it to far making the most prestigious poker tournament in the world possibly a joke. I really think this move is disrespectful to the tradition, and game of the World Series of Poker.
It's more like playing the regular season, all the playoffs up until game 7, starting game 7 and stopping the game dead in it's tracks w/ 2:14 left in the 4th qtr. and coming back in a few months to finish.
Imagine the 117-day crow if Hellmuth finals...O.M.G.
lol!
Imagine the 117-day crow if Hellmuth finals...O.M.G.
I promise to make at least 1 thread titled phil hellmuth every one of those 117 days if he final tables

An awful idea. Only 2 redeeming factors....even 9th place will be a good birthday present and I will personally hunt down and torture anyone who hires Sklansky to coach him/her before the FT, which would be fun.hmmmm...I wonder if Varkonyi is available???

This is far and away the worst and dumbest decision the wsop (or any other poker 'business') has ever made. First of all, this is waaaay too much time in between the two tournaments. I simply don't understand why they can't do this a week after the final table bubble bursts. They can schedule a date and still promote it for a month or so in advanced even if they don't know who's making the FT. I'm all for figuring out a way to air tournaments live, it would definitely generate more interest in the game, but this November FT WON'T EVEN BE AIRED LIVE! It's like a 12+ hour delay, whats the point of waiting 4 months if it won't be aired live? The coaching thing is a big issue, if I make an FT with 8 Jerry Yang's and I'm 5th in chips, my equity after the 4 months probably drops by 1 or 2 mil if we assume they all get coached, imagine how gross it would be to come in with the lead and now you have to deal with 8 dudes that were trained by dudes like Ivey. The amount of sponsorship money that could be collected might even out the loss of equity, but then again it might not. Imagine how many big name pro's (some who aren't even that good) will be whoring themselves out for 4 month coaching sessions in order to recieve 15% or something. It's going to be a ZOO.On to the next disasterous situation, the one that will be brought up the most in these discussions when you talk about the death factor:Doyle makes his first ME FT in like 40 years or whatever, and very likely his last...he's a huge favorite to win and make the most ridic win in WSOP ME history. He dies 3 months after the FT bubble and gets blinded into 4th place without even having the chance to have Todd step in for him. I know that if I die before playing out the FT I would want a friend to be able to take over, BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THAT. If I make the FT I want to go back to my apartment 2 minutes away from Rio go to sleep and go back in a day or two. I don't want to have to look/pay for insurance on my WSOP equity incase I die with the chiplead and blind out in 8th.It's not only death though... What about psychological or health issues that can prevent you from playing your A game when you come back, there are several people that can be in a good enough state of mind to play the FT the same week they made it but might be in a totally different situation 4 months later due to something that is totally out of their control, Dutch comes to mind but there are a ton of other people that suffer from Depression, Bi-Polar disorder etc. How about a dude that flies out from Europe and his VISA expires on Nov 1st, and he can't get a new one before the FT? What if you get arrested for a murder you didn't commit? What if you stake Vinny Vihn and he's chiplead at the FT? I know I'm being extreme but you have to think of these things when you're making a decision as retarded as the November FT. None of these situations are likely but if they keep doing this every year it is bound to happen at some point.Also do they give you any money for the 4 months that you are waiting to play for 12 mil or whatever? My friend said they might give everyone 9th place money, but knowing the decisions the WSOP people make I doubt they'll go out of their way to compensate you before you play the FT. I think they should air it with a 1 hour delay, sequester the FT in some sort of poker dome, let the audience sit behind some soundproof glass and let everyone see the hole cards. They should do this the day or two after the bubble. Anyway I have more issues with this thing that I won't get into now. There's still time to change their stupid decision, hopefully we'll be seeing a wsop FT in July. Otherwise I predict a disaster.

Looks like the EPT is definitely the best tournament now. This is like a gameshow.

117 days to talk deals, not good could lead to all sorts of soft or team play.

If you view the WSOP Main Event as the ultimate reality game show the concept is brilliant.You'll have all that time to hype things and the players themselves will have tremendous opportunities to leverage their success. ESPN will have the time to create a huge buzz for the live final table.I think every average player who is going to play in the event should love the idea and even the best pros will gain a lot more exposure with the delayed format if they make the final table. The average player will not only have their time in the spotlight extended but they'll have an opportunity to work on their game and prepare for the final table.I don't view the WSOP main event as any sort of hallowed tradition bound thing that shouldn't be messed with, it's just a poker tournament.

I wonder how much interest will be made on the entire prizefund for the final table.

What happens to a final table player if they pull a Vinny Vinh for the final table?????This suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

One of the worst things about this is that ESPN will broadcast the leadup to the FT before it's played. Players involved in hands ESPN finds interesting lose because their final table opponents can now study them. What a great incentive for players to become invisible before the final table.And good job scheduling it less than a week after election day in the US. I'm sure the media will be really focused on a poker tournament that week.

Here's a link to the thread about this from a few weeks ago.http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=121020
I told you guys this was going to happen.LOL @ the guys who said "never gonna happen".I think that they are using this WSOP as a tester year for something like this. If it works out, they will keep doing it, if not, they will go back to the old way.
I wonder how much interest will be made on the entire prizefund for the final table.
I think it's gonna be somewhere between $250,000 and $300,000 depending on how it's compounded and the amount of the prize pool.