Pocket Fours In Limped Pot ($33 Fo, Ps)

No reads. What’s my best play on the turn? Is insta-folding okay?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)Hero (t2905)CO (t2620)Button (t1230)SB (t2995)BB (t1225)UTG (t2205)UTG+1 (t3430)MP1 (t640)MP2 (t420)Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4 :D , 4 :4h . 1 fold, UTG+1 calls t50, 2 folds, Hero calls t50, 2 folds, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (t200) 6 :club: , 6 :D , 3 :ts(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets t150, Hero ...

i'd say the pot is small enough where a pot sized raise would not hurt you too much, and you can get away if he moves in. and yeah, check anything but the boat

Hero (t2905)UTG+1 (t3430)Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4 :D , 4 :4h . 1 fold, UTG+1 calls t50, 2 folds, Hero calls t50, 2 folds, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (t200) 6 :club: , 6 :D , 3 :ts(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets t150, Hero ...
Most of the time the first player to bet will take down the pot on these flops and there's a good chance UTG+1 knows that so is taking a shot at claiming the pot for himself. 90%+ of the time anyone with a six is going to slowplay it to the turn so I don't think he's playing trip 6s. I put him on A) taking a shot with just overcards or B] playing another pocket pair (most probably larger than your 44) or C) semi-bluffing a flush draw (with overcards).B/c most will slowplay trip 6s to the turn and if UTG+1 knows enough to take a shot, then there's a good chance he'll also know trips will not raise him just yet. If you just call he'll most likely suspect you're slowplaying the trips and will check into you on the turn - THEN bet the pot and hope to steal from a better pocket pair, a flush draw or b/c you really do have the better hand. You also have the added benefit of eliminating the SB abd BB from the equation when they fold but if either doesn't the whole hand just got a whole lot more complicated - in which case try to check it down to sd. 70-80% of the time I'm not going to fight for this pot with that small a pocket pair and so little invested - it's just too easy to walk away from which is what we planned to do with sm pp anyway if we didn't hit the set. The few times I put up a fight I'm not too worried about hurting my stack and the opps is LAA - here you don't have the info to get too worked up over a small pot and plenty of chips and time to pick a better place to get it on.
Most of the time the first player to bet will take down the pot on these flops and there's a good chance UTG+1 knows that so is taking a shot at claiming the pot for himself. 90%+ of the time anyone with a six is going to slowplay it to the turn so I don't think he's playing trip 6s. I put him on A) taking a shot with just overcards or B] playing another pocket pair (most probably larger than your 44) or C) semi-bluffing a flush draw (with overcards).B/c most will slowplay trip 6s to the turn and if UTG+1 knows enough to take a shot, then there's a good chance he'll also know trips will not raise him just yet. If you just call he'll most likely suspect you're slowplaying the trips and will check into you on the turn - THEN bet the pot and hope to steal from a better pocket pair, a flush draw or b/c you really do have the better hand. You also have the added benefit of eliminating the SB abd BB from the equation when they fold but if either doesn't the whole hand just got a whole lot more complicated - in which case try to check it down to sd. 70-80% of the time I'm not going to fight for this pot with that small a pocket pair and so little invested - it's just too easy to walk away from which is what we planned to do with sm pp anyway if we didn't hit the set. The few times I put up a fight I'm not too worried about hurting my stack and the opps is LAA - here you don't have the info to get too worked up over a small pot and plenty of chips and time to pick a better place to get it on.
Trips arent very likely but I also dont think they would slowplay. A big hand wants to build a pot, and with so many players in, betting stands a chance of doing that with an overpair or overcards out there.
Trips arent very likely but I also dont think they would slowplay. A big hand wants to build a pot, and with so many players in, betting stands a chance of doing that with an overpair or overcards out there.
would you also not want to charge a possible flush draw and not let them see cards for free? even with trips as a flush still beats you. and betting here with trips may also be interprited as betting the flush draw, and get paid off by a worse hand. all i'm saying is with this flop i see it as less likely that trips would be slow played on this flop. i still stand by what i said about a pot sized raise.
would you also not want to charge a possible flush draw and not let them see cards for free? even with trips as a flush still beats you. and betting here with trips may also be interprited as betting the flush draw, and get paid off by a worse hand. all i'm saying is with this flop i see it as less likely that trips would be slow played on this flop. i still stand by what i said about a pot sized raise.
So what are you saying - that UTG+1 HAS flopped trips or that our hero is representing the trips?If UTG+1 has the trips or either SB or BB is slowplaying a pocket 6, you're about to find out very soon and you've just invested a potsize bet! Doesn't strike me a the best stack management when a smooth call could have gotten the same info or put doubt into their turn play cuz they still don't know what the hell you could have called with. But that aside, I see my main point - folding on the flop - was not even considered in the last 2 posts. My fist option was how I thought a 44 might have the best chance at winning the pot (with loss control) while the 2nd being the most wise. Doesn't anyone else fold this?
since I also said bet the pot, Im not going to debate it with you :)No Aces, I cant see folding a pair with a couple of limpers before you, the implied odds are too good if you hit the set.
since I also said bet the pot, Im not going to debate it with you :club:No Aces, I cant see folding a pair with a couple of limpers before you, the implied odds are too good if you hit the set.
I wasn't talking about folding pre-flop - I said fold post flop after you misssed the set! And missed it he did and now has a limper leading into him, but now you're saying bet the pot?? Incase you hit the set on the Turn or River?? Why not go for the RR str8? I don't think you read my point correctly. Here it is again:70-80% of the time I'm not going to fight for this pot with that small a pocket pair and so little invested - it's just too easy to walk away from which is what we planned to do with sm pp anyway if we didn't hit the set. The few times I put up a fight I'm not too worried about hurting my stack and the opps is LAA - here you don't have the info to get too worked up over a small pot and plenty of chips and time to pick a better place to get it on.

I fold on the flop - with both blinds to act behind you, it's more likely that one of them has a 6 or a draw and will check/raise.If we were last to act, then I'd raise against the EP limper who bet the flop.

So what are you saying - that UTG+1 HAS flopped trips or that our hero is representing the trips?If UTG+1 has the trips or either SB or BB is slowplaying a pocket 6, you're about to find out very soon and you've just invested a potsize bet! Doesn't strike me a the best stack management when a smooth call could have gotten the same info or put doubt into their turn play cuz they still don't know what the hell you could have called with.
first, no i'm not saying that they HAVE, i'm saying that in this case if they had its not likely to be slow played.(someone said they thought it would be)i would say the smooth call makes it more likely sb and bb will call with draws. if you raise pot raise here you will almost certainly be getting checked to on the turn. and possibly get the small blind and big blind out of the hand,and it's entirely possible the origional better just folds thinking YOU in fact have a 6. i dont think it's a good idea to smooth call for 2 outs if you are behind. and if you are ahead you want to make the sb and bb pay for trying to out draw you.
i dont think it's a good idea to smooth call for 2 outs if you are behind. and if you are ahead you want to make the sb and bb pay for trying to out draw you.
neither do I which is why I think the BEST play is to fold this on the flop! But if you wanted to STEAL that pot from a better pocket pair then smooth calling on the flop with intention of betting the pot on the turn if and when EP checks into ya would probably do it and with the least damage to your stack should the blinds or EP re-r your raise. The only way SB or BB are sticking around for the turn is if they have a 6 or 2 diamonds in the hole so any re-r or calls give you a huge heads up (and cheap exit strategy) or a green light to steal. This is less aggressive than raising on the flop but also less risky and costly imo. Question you have to ask yourself is - is risking a re-raise (350) worth it when you only have 50 in the pot and 150 to call with the blinds yet to act? Personally if I were inclined to go to the turn I'd like more information on what the blinds are up to before investing more chips than the smooth call but with just 44 I'm really not all that inclined at all!