Sam's Club/costco Limiting Rice Sales

indignant, overly defensive retort implying possession of proof that doesn't exist
wrathful and hate-filled dissection of the above post with little to no concrete evidence to the contrary
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfounded, pessimistic opinion on the future of the economy
lol, baseless super optimistic opinion on the future of the economy.
indignant, overly defensive retort implying possession of proof that doesn't exist
wrathful and hate-filled dissection of the above post with little to no concrete evidence to the contrary
Some posts got in the way of this worthy exchange.
RICE CRISIS!
gold
invocation of godwin's law
lol, declaration of victory in internet argument while claiming opponent possesses the inability to provide a suitable counter argument even though an original argument was never fully developed by either party
i dont even like rice
This story should concern you the most Chroz. Not just rice but all grains have doubled or tripled. I saw a story where alot of the microbrewerys are going through tough times and many may go bankrupt if this continues.
This story should concern you the most Chroz. Not just rice but all grains have doubled or tripled. I saw a story where alot of the microbrewerys are going through tough times and many may go bankrupt if this continues.
Yeah I went to get some beer tonigh, and a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada was $9.49. Holy crap, it's usually 6.99 to 7.99. This was at the grocery store too, not a liquor store.
I think we're about 5 years away from full on mad max style appocalypse. Get your leathers now.
"About" five years would be correct. Everyone knows the world is going to end Dec. 21st, 2012.So far this year Egypt, China, India, and Cambodia have stopped exporting non-basmati rice. When Thailand or Vietnam follow suit expect there to be a minor apocolypse.
This(food prices rising fast) has been so, so long in coming.Farmers have been eating a 6 foot long s sandwich for decades now. Food prices- for numerous reasons- have been artificially low, as have ag land prices. I hope we see a day when gas is below $3, but I am 100% certain that we will never, ever, evereverever see .89 cent eggs or .69 cent bread again.
This seems to coincide with the time they began hedging their crops in the futures market. Is there a corelation?Or is this based on the eco-fuel needs being driven by the government that once again sticks it's head into a situation they don't understand then blames each other for not reacting correctly?
Or is this based on the eco-fuel needs being driven by the government that once again sticks it's head into a situation they don't understand then blames each other for not reacting correctly?
Certainly biofuels demand is playing some role. To what extent, no one knows for sure. Another issue is the growing affluence of China and India. in places where people used to starve, they now have jobs, money and can pay for food. That's a significant change in circumstances and it adds to demand. Compounding that is increased demand for fuel (gasoline) in many regions of these developing markets -- meaning that we are competing with their buying power for food AND fuel, which amplifies our desire for renewables. This demand cycle looks like it's only going to speed up. The only hint that it may slow is that the American consumer economy has a serious head cold right now, with the housing/mortgage crisis. If American demand for consumer products from China decreases, and demand for support from India service sectors follow, then I would look for some moderation in this cycle. If America snaps out of this head cold quickly, then get used to food/fuel price increases, ala the 1970s. You won't need your guns for a while yet, but get ready to ask for raises at work early and often. I really wouldn't have a clue of where one would hold wealth right now that you could trust, either. Glad it's none of my concern.
The only hint that it may slow is that the American consumer economy has a serious head cold right now, with the housing/mortgage crisis. I really wouldn't have a clue of where one would hold wealth right now that you could trust, either.
People are laying a lot of blame on the housing crisis, but let's face it; our economic growth has been based largely on the accumulation of national as well as personal debt. It will be a very very very looooooooooooong time before a significant percentage of this has been paid off. Buy TIPS...early and often.

No one seems to consider the idea that Costco just might want to capitalize on rising prices without having to get new product. Just to be on the safe side though I am buying a 50 pound bag of rice, beans, flour, and a 50 gallon bucket of pickles. Because pickles are good.

5 acres might have sustained a family in the 30's and 40's but today it's unlikely. But if you want some insight into doing it then try reading Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book which should be available at your local library. All you atheists will want to skip the parts about her faith but otherwise it's a pretty darn complete book on everything you need to know to live off the land (provided you have enough of it)

I paid $4.29 for a loaf of my usual brand of bread today. The cheapest loaf they had was $2.39. Used to be $2.99 and $1.69 I think. I also noticed that through out the store there were far less on sale items than usual. Not enough to break the bank yet but when you combine the food price increases and gas price increases thats about an extra $100 a month. I quit smoking 2.5 months ago so that saves me $160 a month so I am still a little ahead.

Too lazy to read this thread. Someone PM me if and when we're all going to fucking die. Thanks in advance.
Only poor peopleSee ya