River Sexiness (hu) (30/60)

Bodog 30/60 LHE (2-handed)Cobalt is BB w/ :club::5c. I've been playing with villain for about half an hour and noticed that he's been value-betting the river rather thin...with like bottom pair, no kicker...and of course I've been paying him off with my A-highs. Villain raises 95% of his buttons...caps 80% of the time when I 3-bet...and 3-bets 50% of the time from the BB. Aside from that pre-flop aggression, he doesn't raise much post-flop though he will typically bet when checked to. I've been check-raising flops with pairs and draws.Pre-flop:Button raises, Cobalt callsFlop (4 SB): :4h:D:ts (2 players)Cobalt checks, Button bets, Cobalt raises, Button callsTurn (4 BB): :D (2 players)Cobalt bets, Button callsRiver (6 BB): :D (2 players)Cobalt checks, Button bets, Cobalt raises

I came.
agree completely, such a beauty of ahand. against a lagggggg like this, youre ahead here like 95% of the time

I think we'd have to.I wanted to see if anyone else picked up on this, but it's been a few days, so I'll just ask it...The biggest key to this hand, is the metagame factors. Sure, there's a value aspect to it too, but since we've got this guy v-betting super super light, we want to exploit that. We'll either be able to get 2 bets out of him when we have stronger hands, like this, or we'll get him to start checking behind a bit more when we want to showdown a weaker hand.Agree?

Are you expecting villain to fold now?
Nope.
Given the read post flop, are we folding to a 3-bet?
Yup.Zach summed up most of what I was going for...the purpose of slowing him down in future hands.

i likey. that's pretty much how i start off every session on AP these days to make people stop valuebetting me on the river. zach's metagame paragraph is spot on re: valuebetting, and an added bonus in shorthanded play is that it makes it a LOT less likely for your opponents to bluff scare cards at you and makes pretty much everyone nice and easy to play against.nh :club:

I like it too.1. How much of a set back is it when villain 3 bets here.2. If he shows a bluff or not
Well, it would certainly hurt our image, and basically have the exact opposite metagame results. I don't think it happens often enough for us to worry about it too much though. What kind of hand would he play this way that he could even 3-bet here? Kx two pair is the only real thing, right?
Well, it would certainly hurt our image, and basically have the exact opposite metagame results. I don't think it happens often enough for us to worry about it too much though. What kind of hand would he play this way that he could even 3-bet here? Kx two pair is the only real thing, right?
ok, but what if he has us beat and only flat calls, expecting our c/r to be ahead.Does it matter whether we win or not for the meta game?Seems like the answer is "not really" We've told him, that we c/r thin, so he needs to value bet "not as thin" Seems though he takes it to the next step and 3 bets thinner.lol.. I'm so far behind

lol, but it's just that he so rarely has us beat, the way the hand was played. A better 8 should put in more action somewhere. The only time we're beat is if he hit his king here.I think the key to the metagame part is that our hand looks weak to the uninformed eye, just a weak 2nd pair, but when we break it down, it's pretty clear that we've got the best hand a huge percentage of the time, and that's what makes it so sick... just the fact that we make a sick value c/r with a weak-looking hand.I think his range is basically 7x, 4x, or some random overcards, that won't call the c/r (he was bluffing), or some random Kx hand that just happened to hit, and he'll almost never 3-bet there, imo.

1. Do we fold to the river c/r as the villain?2. VNH Cobalt. I think the metagame goes beyond not getting thin-value bet and bluffed at, I think it secures in general that you have a stupid read on anyone that wants to mess with you.

1. Do we fold to the river c/r as the villain?
Probably need to. Only hand that he beats is a desperate attempt by me with T9 or 96.
Probably need to. Only hand that he beats is a desperate attempt by me with T9 or 96.
Seems you don't respect his calling range.You expected him to call and there aren't too many hands beter than T7 that you beat.