Dear Long Live Yorke

Pretty cool stuff. It still amazes me that, in the vastness of space, those geeks at NASA can hit a rock flying past the Earth at a thousand miles per hour with a satellite.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for some of us, every month is STD awareness month.

• 3 months later...
Well, there goes my career. That's it, I'm opening up a Dairy Queen.
Woo Hoo! PARTNERS!
  • 4 months later...
Oh, yeah, I read that article today.As you would guess, it's pretty much rubbish and pretty misleading.Take, for example, this paragraph:"To be sure, the new, negative results presented in Mumbai yesterday are of a different nature. They state that, with a 95% probability, the Higgs does not exist within the range of energies the LHC has so far explored, between 145 and 466 billion electron volts. The probability of nonexistence is not overwhelming—there is still a 5% chance that the Higgs is hiding somewhere within this energy range. And, more importantly, the lower energy range from 114 to just under 145 billion electron volts, a region of energy that Fermilab has determined, through earlier experiments, may harbor the Higgs, has not been ruled out. But the Higgs is quickly running out of places to hide."It pretty conveniently glosses over the fact that an excess in events was found between 114 and 140 GeV, that his is the region where Higgs was previously believed to be, and that it is a region favored by many prevision studies.Though, failing to find the Higgs wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for physics, though one would hope that we'd find something which explains or hints at explaining electroweak symmetry breaking.
It pretty conveniently glosses over the fact that an excess in events was found between 114 and 140 GeV, that his is the region where Higgs was previously believed to be, and that it is a region favored by many prevision studies.
Amen brother... Amen.Are you certain this thing cannot be used in a weapon, or to make energy?

I don't think that a failure to find the Higgs would be a failure of science or proof of anything except the fact that scientists don't stubbornly hold to theories that are proven false. I always think it's great when a theory is reworked...it's a great show of open-mindedness. I mean, it still might be found, but I don't think it would be a disaster if it wasn't.

Amen brother... Amen.Are you certain this thing cannot be used in a weapon, or to make energy?
For some reason, that just fucking slayed me. Explaining why would take several hours, a painfully self-aware deconstruction of the relationship between humor and absurdity, two different British accents, and would be, almost certainly, pointless entirely.EDIT: I'm not sure how this affects my commitment to be the Higgs boson for Halloween this year. Help me out a little, Yorke?
  • 4 weeks later...
Um, what the hell?Faster than the speed of light?So, in layman's terms, what would this mean?
It would mean that pretty much everything we know about everything (when it comes to high energy physics) is wrong. It would change almost everything theoretical physicists do. Which is why it's so hard to believe. It would be extremely difficult for this result to be true.It's most likely a bug or mistake somewhere. Essentially what they're doing is dumping a large bunch of protons at the LHC (at the end of a run) into a big pile of garbage. The protons get stopped, but the neutrinos keep going. Those neutrinos go through the Earth all the way to Italy, where they're measured. The experiment has a clock at the LHC, a clock at Italy, they've measured the distance using GPS, and they simply do v = distance / time. They say they've measured the distance within 20 cm. The time associated with this distance that they measure is off by 60 ns. Note that in 60 ns, light travels about 17 meters. So, if their distance measurement is off by 17 meters, it would explain this result. However, I am willing to believe they know the distance within less than 10 meters.More likely is the scenario that they got the timing wrong, that their clocks are somehow asynchronous within 60 ns (a REALLY small amount of time), or that they didn't account for some electronic effect that would slow down the readout somehow.I'm interested to hear more, but it pretty much HAS to be a mistake.
bet one of them was still on daylight savings time
That'd be such a great press conference."...Now, you guys are going to laugh, but guess what really happened..."

"faster than the speed of light" is allowed under relativity. For example many billions of years from now galaxies will be moving away from each other at faster than the speed of light. LongLiveDork is correct though that this is a different matter altogether and highly improbable. Improbable not impossible b/c God does work in mysterious ways and there are more things in Heaven and on earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

HyperSpace!!!!!!Bad week for lefties.First Obama has to veto Palestine's request to be called a stateThen you find out that your foundation of all your 'truth' isn't as rock solid as you thought.I'm sure you will find a way to explain why this doesn't matter and everything you based on this constant is still valid since it usually works.Speed of light isn't constant....that's funny, Creationist presented this based on their own investigations years ago, and they were laughed off the stage.Who's laughing at Hyper Speed now?

"something, something something GOD, something something something Global Warming, something something Lefties, something, something."HyperSpace!!!!!!Bad week for lefties.First Obama has to veto Palestine's request to be called a stateThen you find out that your foundation of all your 'truth' isn't as rock solid as you thought.I'm sure you will find a way to explain why this doesn't matter and everything you based on this constant is still valid since it usually works.Speed of light isn't constant....that's funny, Creationist presented this based on their own investigations years ago, and they were laughed off the stage.Who's laughing at Hyper Speed now?- Balloonguy