The sites have a disconnect timer. That's how long a player can be expected to be protected from being blinded down while disconnected. This provides a level playing field. It could happen to anyone, and if it does, that's what you get. As soon as you start trying to come up with etiquette rules for something other, you tilt the playing field.I blind him down. Not because I care more about EV than morals, and not because I'm greedy. I do so because the only fair thing to do is for everyone to act in their own interest as far as the rules allow.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If ever I got HU in a mtt, I'd be so shocked by what was happening to me, I doubt I'd be capable of making a rational moral decision.I'd probably have fainted anyway by that stage, so it's kind of a mute point.

in the spirit of fairness, how about calling from the small blind and checking down to the river? Best hand wins, eh? That at least gives Mr. Timeout a chance. He's gotta win 2/3 every other hand to break even, but that's just postponing the inevitable. I'd give him the disconnect time, then start stealing. That's what it's there for, right?Also, don't rules clearly state that someone cannot take over for another player? so what's the point of waiting for a pinch hitter? or are there caveats for disconnects?OK, let's move to the WSOP ME. You are heads up w/ Matusow and he drops an F-bomb and gets penalized 10 minutes. Do you blind steal all you can during that time too? Don't forget to tip the dealer for shuffling quickly.

Similar situation was discussed on 2p2 a couple months ago.. Ike (Isaac Haxton) was in a hand with some guy who disconnected on a big pot on the river, so he min-bet and took it down for 15K. He defended the move:http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=141593
so pull out your lan cable....wait a few seconds for the guy to min bet...then put it back in and check raise him all in with the nuts?
It's not a big deal. But any competitive player would rather win against a participating player. I think that's what made TJ feel bad in the first place. It just feels gross winning that way. However, there really is no choice.
winning never feels gross you're insane.

in a SNG, by nature, time is money , so you cant really wait for them. in a long multi tourny, they obv been playing for hours , and they either have a momentary internet lapse, which they are trying to get back online, or they are done for good so all you really need to wait is like 2mins for internet disconnect , or maybe wait five minutes if they gotta reboot the computer??? after that fair game, take down first, but to not even wait 2mins for a heads up , for a multi long tourny, is bush league

It's pretty unlikely, but the situation does give the possibility of a pretty perverse angle shot.Lets say I get heads up with a 2:1 lead against a guy that I am pretty sure has a big edge on me. And lets say I knew that they were a stand up citizen and would alwas wait for a disconnected player to return. I could disconnect my internet for a couple of levels, letting the blinds greatly reduse my opponents edge, then reconnect, giving myself a better chance of winning.I know that's a pretty unlikely set of events (mainly knowing for sure that my opponent would always wait.)It's worth considering though, as the main point is that if it was generally decided that it was always the right thing to wait, and everyone did it, then this angle shot would certainly become profitable.It also adds to JC's post (which is definately the wa I act in this situation), since if you know the player then you can pretty sure they wouldn't be that classless and would happily wait, whereas with an unknown you could never be sure, so blind away.

There is a sort of comraderie, competition to these tournaments. I myself, have been involved in a multi-tourny endgame disconnect. It rarely happens. Mine was a 100person satellite to get into the world series of poker main event. Top two got seats, 3rd got 0. We get down to three, and player A disconnects. The chips stacks are me 20% playerA 25% chipleader 55%. PLayer A ended up losing connection for like 4minutes. during those minutes, i raised players A's blind 3 times outta like 8. twice with A-big or pair, once with A-rag. The chipleader reraised me with the A-rag, and i mucked. so after like 3minutes i gained zero ground. i played small pots w the chipleader while the person was disconeccted too. They came back after 4 minutes . They musta been on tilt cuz they went allin with the worst of it one minute later. I thought we were extremely fair then. Heads up and I would definetely give the traditional 2min disconnect and possibly 5mins. Did OP give them 5mins?

in the spirit of fairness, how about calling from the small blind and checking down to the river? Best hand wins, eh? That at least gives Mr. Timeout a chance. He's gotta win 2/3 every other hand to break even, but that's just postponing the inevitable. I'd give him the disconnect time, then start stealing. That's what it's there for, right?Also, don't rules clearly state that someone cannot take over for another player? so what's the point of waiting for a pinch hitter? or are there caveats for disconnects?OK, let's move to the WSOP ME. You are heads up w/ Matusow and he drops an F-bomb and gets penalized 10 minutes. Do you blind steal all you can during that time too? Don't forget to tip the dealer for shuffling quickly.
That doesn't work. If you complete your small blind, and the big blind is sitting out, his hand will be mucked.

I would wait a few minutes, then go after the blinds. The rules don't state you have to wait for someone to play, it's up to them to play their cards...not you.

Whether you blind the player down or not, that's your choice. But the one thing I can't stand reading is people acknowledging that they think it's a rotten play but say to go ahead and do it just because most people will.You either think it's wrong or right. If you think it's wrong but do it anyways, then you're a ****ing d-bag. I hate people like this.