Diamonds, Real Ones

Does anyone know anything about how much diamonds cost? I'm looking for a princess cut stone, 0.7-1.0 ct, of clarity VS1 or VS2 with a good color, F or better. Do you know how much I should pay for a loose diamond at this quality. I was quoted $3500 for a 0.71 ct stone in a plain setting. I want to know if I'm getting hosed.

Seems high, but I also don't know what the quality numbers really mean.I think you should get the lowest quality that still looks like the high one, know what I mean?It's like buying a car new when you can get one with 50 miles on it for a few thousand less.

I will say the price I recieved today was 1500 less than the one I recieved from the mall stores I've check for the same quality stone. I seem to have a good eye for inclusions, and it bugs me that if I buy a diamond that is subpar to my standards I would think about it everytime I see it. It's a big purchase for me, and meaningful, so I can afford to be a little picky, I just don't want to be taken as a fool. Thanks for the input.

I will say the price I recieved today was 1500 less than the one I recieved from the mall stores I've check for the same quality stone. I seem to have a good eye for inclusions, and it bugs me that if I buy a diamond that is subpar to my standards I would think about it everytime I see it. It's a big purchase for me, and meaningful, so I can afford to be a little picky, I just don't want to be taken as a fool. Thanks for the input.
Well the mall is never the answer, lol. But I'd check out some other similar sources to the one you got the 3500 quote from.

To be fair.If you buy a diamond you are going to get screwed.Unless you know a guy.I don't know any guy.I get screwed everytime.Oh well, but I did buy a big diamond ring at an auction once, it had a really dirty stone, and it bugs me whenever my wife wears it.So good luck

Well the mall is never the answer, lol. But I'd check out some other similar sources to the one you got the 3500 quote from.
Yeah, the mall sucks. I guess I'm just using it as a baseline. I think I'm going to head to NYC in a few weeks and see what is going on there. I hate the city though.
Does anyone know anything about how much diamonds cost? I'm looking for a princess cut stone, 0.7-1.0 ct, of clarity VS1 or VS2 with a good color, F or better. Do you know how much I should pay for a loose diamond at this quality. I was quoted $3500 for a 0.71 ct stone in a plain setting. I want to know if I'm getting hosed.
It's a bit high, but not totally out of the realm. Diamond.com lists a .75ct VS1 F stone ideally cut at slightly under $3000 loose, and if you're buying a setting along with it that's pretty spot on. Diamonds just piss me off every time I think about them, there's enough diamonds in the world to pave roads with if one wished, but due to artificial market manipulation they're among the most expensive things you can buy. You're supposed to think they're this incredibly rare substance that's worth the price being paid, but it's just bullshit. Fuck Capitalism, eh comrades?
To be fair.If you buy a diamond you are going to get screwed.
Haha, I completely feel that way everytime I walk into a place that sells jewelry. I know it's a giant rip-off, but it just doesn't seem very romantic to buy a fake diamond. I think I'm going to put reason and logic behind me and just jump in, as my dad says. It's a big purchase, my biggest ever. I just want to be happy with the result when it's all over with.Thanks for the perspective.
It's a bit high, but not totally out of the realm. Diamond.com lists a .75ct VS1 F stone ideally cut at slightly under $3000 loose, and if you're buying a setting along with it that's pretty spot on. Diamonds just piss me off every time I think about them, there's enough diamonds in the world to pave roads with if one wished, but due to artificial market manipulation they're among the most expensive things you can buy. You're supposed to think they're this incredibly rare substance that's worth the price being paid, but it's just bullshit. Fuck Capitalism, eh comrades?
It really sucks that de beers holds pretty much all of the unpurchased diamonds in the world in vaults. According to the movie Blood Diamond, they company only allows small amounts of diamonds out to be purchased to keep their price up. It really makes me sick. Don't I wish I could have a duffle bag and 4 minutes inside one of those vaults.
It really sucks that de beers holds pretty much all of the unpurchased diamonds in the world in vaults. According to the movie Blood Diamond, they company only allows small amounts of diamonds out to be purchased to keep their price up. It really makes me sick. Don't I wish I could have a duffle bag and 4 minutes inside one of those vaults.
oh.

Israeli diamonds. Look it up. They'll ship you the diamonds to look at and you can buy whichever one you want. They keep a decent inventory and the cert. appraisals hold up to insurance requirements. I personally don't like the princess cut but to each his own. FYI, you'll want inclusions to keep the cost down and so that you'll be able to recognize the diamond after having it cleaned or whatever. Never ever buy a serious diamond at a mall. The sales people usually don't have a clue.

Wow good post. People look at me like I'm crazy when i try to explain this to them. It is 100% artificial market. I guess if you have the money to burn and thats what you want to spend it on then go for it. I'm not using my money to line the pockets of the MEGA rich. And I do mean MEGA rich. My wifes wedding ring is cubic zirconia(sp?) I paid $300 or so. It looks nice and it serves the same purpose as a 5k ++ ring.I do however have a small weakness for watches, my current is a Movado 2 tone which cost slightly more than my wife's wedding ring. I guess i got a decent deal on it however.
Yeah, the mall sucks. I guess I'm just using it as a baseline. I think I'm going to head to NYC in a few weeks and see what is going on there. I hate the city though.
If you're going to New York for a diamond, you're a fish in a tank full of sharks. They know diamonds and you don't. I saw a clip on 20/20 where they sent someone to the diamond district of NYC, she sold her diamond, the jeweler said it was junk, gave her close to nothing, then they sent someone else to the same place a couple of days later, they found the same one, offered to buy it, and the jeweler said that it was several grades of quality higher than it was with a price through the roof. When they showed the jeweler the hidden video from two days earlier, he said that it wasn't the same diamond.You'd be better off playing Phil Ivey heads up with your life savings. At least, in this case, you'd have luck to maybe help you win.

Thanks. I'm weary about buying online though. They could send anything, and it's a hassle to send it back. I like to see what I'm getting if I have to pay that much. Eh, it really is lose/lose. I feel that I have done a good amount of research, and I know what it what, but price is really hard for me. I guess the only way to get it on the cheap is to know a guy, like Balloon Guy said.

If you're going to New York for a diamond, you're a fish in a tank full of sharks. They know diamonds and you don't. I saw a clip on 20/20 where they sent someone to the diamond district of NYC, she sold her diamond, the jeweler said it was junk, gave her close to nothing, then they sent someone else to the same place a couple of days later, they found the same one, offered to buy it, and the jeweler said that it was several grades of quality higher than it was with a price through the roof. When they showed the jeweler the hidden video from two days earlier, he said that it wasn't the same diamond.You'd be better off playing Phil Ivey heads up with your life savings. At least, in this case, you'd have luck to maybe help you win.
Are you claiming that a businessman lied and bought something for less than it was worth, and then sold it for more than it was worth? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE CLAIMING?I hope they deported his ass.
Wow good post. People look at me like I'm crazy when i try to explain this to them. It is 100% artificial market. I guess if you have the money to burn and thats what you want to spend it on then go for it. I'm not using my money to line the pockets of the MEGA rich. And I do mean MEGA rich. My wifes wedding ring is cubic zirconia(sp?) I paid $300 or so. It looks nice and it serves the same purpose as a 5k ++ ring.I do however have a small weakness for watches, my current is a Movado 2 tone which cost slightly more than my wife's wedding ring. I guess i got a decent deal on it however.
Thanks, but the fact that I understand that it's a bullshit market doesn't change the fact that I still shelled out my 3 months (ok, 5) salary on my wife's engagement ring like a good little soldier. I'm not really one to stand on my principles when it comes to tradition and making her happy, and even if she understood the reasoning she still wouldn't have been very happy if she got a CZ. Makes me happy everytime someone compliments her on it and she doesn't have to tell them (or not tell them, but still know) it's a synthetic, so I'm getting mine out of it at the end of the day. Methinks perhaps your Movado accidentally fell off a delivery truck somewhere, yes? <grin>

There's a guy owns a kind of high end country club out here, built a private steak house for the members, and put in a display case with tons of diamonds. Says that the price of diamonds is going up, so he spent about $25Mil on some stones as an investment. By putting them on display I guess he gets to right off the purchase now instead of later.Def the nicest diamond necklace I've ever seen