The only WA movie worth watching is Sleeper. It's probably because I was pretty young (10?) when I first saw the movie. I still look at that cool house from the movie every time I'm driving on I-70 east of Denver. I was way too young to appreciate Everything....Sex.....Ask and it was over my head. Maybe I'll watch it again someday and curse WA once again. I've actually watched Crimes & Misdemeanors and Manhattan recently. C&M wasn't unwatchable like Scoop. The cast was fantastic but it's still a pretty shitty movie. Manhattan was just bad, like really really bad. The beginning is classic masturbatory Woody fuckin Allen when he's doing a voice over and starts, stops, rewrites and changes his "novel", awful. Nothing about the characters or situations were believable even with the willing suspension of belief you have to embrace with any movie. A comedy is supposed to be somewhat funny. Not only did I think this wasn't funny, but it wasn't even remotely humorous. The only redeeming quality of this movie is that he had a 17 yr old girlfriend and in real life he ended up falling in love with his young adopted daughter. Does unintentional irony count?
Clearly you just don't like Woody Allen's filmmaking, so why even keep trying? When I suggested VCB, I assumed you liked WA enough to want to keep watching his movies.I think the man has a gift for dialogue and the uncomfort (<-should be a word) of human life. I thoroughly enjoyed Anything Else and Jade Scorpion even though they're some of his least liked films.And I hated Annie Hall.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

considering her husband directed the movie I'd say it was more likely threesomes....
ok bad example maybe, but how bout someone else? like the camera guy who married julia roberts. i mean he pretty much just has to sit there while george clooney gives it to his old lady right?

So a week or so ago I saw a preview for Taken. Now as reticent as I am to buy Liam as a badass here tthe way they played out the phone call between him and his daughter has me slightly intrigued. Doubt I'll see it in theatres but it'll definitely be in my rent list top 5 when it comes out. Anyone else have thoughts?

My Netflix queue is constantly around 80 deep. I'll bump things up to the top or push things back to manage what's coming. This usually results in a movie showing up that I kind of forgot about and don't remember why I ordered it. Example: Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance. This must have been a recommendation that I had forgotten about. What an excellent surprise. This movie was well worth the effort of having to read, what I'm sure, is poorly translated sub-titles. I pretty much loved it.

Clearly you just don't like Woody Allen's filmmaking, so why even keep trying? When I suggested VCB, I assumed you liked WA enough to want to keep watching his movies.I think the man has a gift for dialogue and the uncomfort (<-should be a word) of human life. I thoroughly enjoyed Anything Else and Jade Scorpion even though they're some of his least liked films.And I hated Annie Hall.
I wondered the same thing as I was putting Scoop in the dvd player. I must love hating his movies or something. I'll still watch VCB when it comes. Clearly there's gotta be something to his movies that people like. Maybe I'm just waiting to 'get it'.
ok bad example maybe, but how bout someone else? like the camera guy who married julia roberts. i mean he pretty much just has to sit there while george clooney gives it to his old lady right?
You know they don't really have the sexing right? Like, it's acting. If what you're saying is that you wouldn't be able to handle your wife doing a love scene with another dude, I can understand that. I hope for your sake, you're not in any danger of marrying an actress.
You know they don't really have the sexing right? Like, it's acting. If what you're saying is that you wouldn't be able to handle your wife doing a love scene with another dude, I can understand that. I hope for your sake, you're not in any danger of marrying an actress.
no i mean on the set during breaks in the stars' trailers. maybe if it's in vegas or something a night off from shooting and the 2 main stars go out for some drinks, then back to a suite at the palms and hook it up. isn't it a time honored hollywood tradition that the stars of the show get it on?

Slumdog Millionaire. A very, very good movie. Every thing a movie like forrest gump should be.. grittier, non-corny, just an amazing love story. I still think Button for Best picture is the smart money, because it's the big, american epic picture with the big hollywood stars, and Slumdog is a movie about brown people. To my knowledge, Ghandi is the only movie about brown people ever to win best picture, and it was about Ghandi ffs. But it should win best picture, what ever "should" is worth.It's not my favorite movie of the year, but it's in my top five for sure, and is "oscar worthy", if not sponge worthy.

So a week or so ago I saw a preview for Taken. Now as reticent as I am to buy Liam as a badass here tthe way they played out the phone call between him and his daughter has me slightly intrigued. Doubt I'll see it in theatres but it'll definitely be in my rent list top 5 when it comes out. Anyone else have thoughts?
Don't do it. I have seen it. I'm Irish so Liam Neeson gets extra credits from me but this movie is woeful. Asides from the guilty little arousal from the human trafficking part, its terrible.
Slumdog Millionaire. A very, very good movie. Every thing a movie like forrest gump should be.. grittier, non-corny, just an amazing love story. I still think Button for Best picture is the smart money, because it's the big, american epic picture with the big hollywood stars, and Slumdog is a movie about brown people. To my knowledge, Ghandi is the only movie about brown people ever to win best picture, and it was about Ghandi ffs. But it should win best picture, what ever "should" is worth.It's not my favorite movie of the year, but it's in my top five for sure, and is "oscar worthy", if not sponge worthy.
Wait, what? Button is in your top 5 of the year!?!? Say it aint so, McGee!!!!
Don't do it. I have seen it. I'm Irish so Liam Neeson gets extra credits from me but this movie is woeful. Asides from the guilty little arousal from the human trafficking part, its terrible.
thanks for the heads up. I'll probably still rent it but at least now my expectations will be very low so I may get an inkling of enjoyment.
Wait, what? Button is in your top 5 of the year!?!? So it aint so, McGee!!!!
no no no, slumdog is in my top 5.. I haven't even seen that POS Ben Button. I'm just speculating on the hype I've heard about it, it's general popularity, and oscar tendancies in general.
no no no, slumdog is in my top 5.. I haven't even seen that POS Ben Button. I'm just speculating on the hype I've heard about it, it's general popularity, and oscar tendancies in general.
whew.

Hell Boy 2. For this type of movie it was everything I expected it to be. It could have used more bad jokes and surly attitude but overall, enjoyable.

thanks for the heads up. I'll probably still rent it but at least now my expectations will be very low so I may get an inkling of enjoyment.
I watched it on a pirate so they are always worse but still its pretty bad. My roommate loved it, but Vin Diesel is no 1 favourite actor so whatever that says...
That sucks, I was looking forward to seeing it. Guess I'll wait for Netflix like almost everything else.

30 Days of Night - For a B Vampire movie with Josh Hartnett, it wasn't bad, consiering. I was interesting to me that it was in Barrow Alaska, because my dad has been there half a dozen times, and it gets -80 degrees and you have to be covered with animal fur from head to toe to not have your skin freeze.

watched Tropic Thunder last night. Amazing potential with such an awesome cast, but fail short imo. Had it's semi funny parts, but overall I would not watch it again.

Boy have I watched some clunkers while laid up in bed for the past few days with a bad back.Funny Games (US version) - bah, pretentious remake that goes no where. isn't the (original) filmaker clever? i started doing situps halfway through to shift the pain from my head to my back.The Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift - obv I wasn't expecting an oscar winner here, but wow, this was way way way worse than i expected.Cashback - would have been just as good on mute. Not really, but it was nothing special.The Day The Earth Stood Still - fell asleep. not really fair to include in this list I suppose.The Girl Next Door - jesus christ EC is ridiculously hot. pretty dumb movie, but did i mention that EC is just stupid hot?

Cashback. I'm not sure if I recommend this movie or not, it had really great points in the movie and some that just sucked.I suppose if you like British movies and alot of boobs and some vagina, then sure go for it.
I think i would have liked this movie more if I hadn't been expecting more keeley hazel.