he must not know about PSH or JP in the master.

Get serious, SA, DDL is ****ing Abraham Lincoln in ****ing Spielberg movie. If that's not a ****ing lock for best actor, I don't know dick about the academy. JP has a shot at the screen actor's guild award, but that's about it.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Can't we all just keep laughing at the dude that said Denzel was a lock?

how in the **** could he be up for supporting, the movie was about him you damn rube. And no way he beats out DDL as Lincoln. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, he does. But since when is the academy awards about deserve? They've been dead to me ever since Mickey Rourke got jobbed out of best actor for the Wrestler.

he can be up for supporting if that is what the studio submits him for. i've seen it a hundred times.

but if not, i just think the academy will give this one to JP. DDL already has two after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm watching signs right now, and I forgot how much I liked the first 90% of the movie, because the last 10% sucked so bad, that stuck in my mind. I think M NIght Is really good at creating a story, creating a world. His endings just suck so much ****. I think he needs to find a good screen writer he likes and make other people's stories.

I'm seeing The Hobbit tomorrow, I'm a little skeptical of the 3D fast frame technique they decided to go with though. I'm not much of a fan of 3D to begin with let a lone another new way of showing it. I also don't possibly see how the movie needed to be broken up in to 3 movies considering it was a quick and easy read back in grade 5. I guess if they can get another billion dollars out of the franchise why not.

The Hobbit

Loved the movie, hated the 3D effects and Martin Freeman is the most convincing hobbit yet. His acting was superb and I thought he brought a relaxed, fun personality to Bilbo which you come to expect from the book.

Thorin was pretty awesome too, just how I expect him to be and the animated effects were top notch as expected (save for the 3D).

I don't want to be a negative nancy but I have some minor nit picks I noticed. So here we go (possible spoilers ahead).

- The story of the Pale Orc vs Thorin is not something that was part of the book that I can recall and I believe must have come from other material outside the book. It's a major addition to the movie and while it might make it more appealing to non fans, I have mixed feelings about it. I already know what dwarves live and how others die in the story so they can't obviously have the guy kill any of them... which makes me question his purpose.

- In LOTR they show a clip of Bilbo finding the ring while crawling on the ground, in dirt. In this movie he just picks it up after seeing Gollum drop it. I totally assumed that shot was going to be recreated but with Freeman as Bilbo to keep it consistent with the other movies.

- I also found most of the orcs to be quite different looking than the thousands we saw in LOTR. Maybe it was just me.

- Did we really need a 25min opening scene at Bilbo's house only to not really get any character development from the individual dwarves? There are a handful of them that only get a couple minutes of up close screen time in the entire 3hr movie.

I just wish I saw the movie in the intended high frame rate 3D, I didn't realize I was missing out until it was too late.

3D Review (Not high frame rate)

I saw it in standard, Real 3D as the HFR version wasn't available in the theater I was in and was sort of let down. I haven't seen that many 3D movies to compare to (3 or 4) but I for one rate this one near the bottom.

For the most part it felt very layered and a lot of the effects went in to the screen rather than out. With all of the CGI in this movie, I expected a lot more coming out at me but not much did. Also, most fast moving objects looked transparent at times with a lot of motion blur which was visually distracting. There were certain parts that did look better than others, mostly towards the end with the Eagles & the last shot of Smaug, but it basically felt like watching a post converted 3D movie to an otherwise outstanding film. The story is so engaging but you are constantly distracted by the 3D effects that I have to grade the 3D effectiveness as I saw it as a lousy 5/10. It just took too much away for me to enjoy the movie more.

I saw it in a non 3d theater and have no complaints about the filming.

I was thinking about the story with the orc, I think it made sense because in the book the orcs were enemies, but really for no reason. I think giving them a leader and a reason to be at war against the crew translated well on the screen, even if it wasn't that way in the book. Otherwise the orcs would have been a repetitive enemy from the LOTR movies and this gave then another dimension.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try and see Django tomorrow.

Where would you rank it among his other movies?

My order for the ones I've seen are

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Kill Bill 1

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Kill Bill 2

6. Death Proof

I gonna guess BigD's order

Pulp fiction

Django unchanged

Inglorious basterds

Reservoir Dogs

True Romance

Grind house

Jackie brown

Death proof

Kill bill's intentionally left off the list

I don't know about his list, but Reservoir Dogs is going to be #1 for BigD. True Romance isn't directed by Tarantino and Grindhouse is just Death Proof and Planet Terror (which wasn't Tarantino) together.

Really hoping I get to see Django soon.

My list:

Pulp Fiction

Inglorious Basterds

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill

Jackie Brown

Death Proof

Wrong, Pulp fiction is by far my number 1. it's very difficult for me to rank the others after that, but Kill bill is certainly on my list. I would guess Jackie brown would be the bottom, but that's no insult to jackie brown, I loved it. I bet if I re watched it, I'd like it more than I do now. I guess Inglorious Basterds would be my number two, but I'd really have to think about it.

This movie doesn't have the tension that Basterds had. I've never seen a movie that was quite so good as building tension as Basterds. tarentino Said that he feels that he's made a new type of movie, A "Southern" ( as opposed to a western) and I think that's close to the truth. The movie is a mixture of Spaghetti Westerns, Blacksploitation and a Hard Boiled-style hong kong movie, and yet something else entirely. There simply has never quite been a movie like this. I've love tarentino's Genre Revenge movies, and honestly, if he just keeps making genre revenge movies, I'd be happy. They are all awesome.

Wrong, Pulp fiction is by far my number 1.

No, you're wrong!

I preferred your previous response about someone liking Dogs over Fiction. Something like, "Your mom prefers anal to oral."

Hmm, I thought you had said before that Dogs was your favorite, but I, um, might've been thinking about something else. *looks around*