I'm not saying you should like Annihilation, but comparing it in any way to a blockbuster action franchise is just plain wrong. The movie knows exactly what it's doing (which, again, feel free to hate) (and it's also not doing very much with the book as source material).

They just happen to be the last 2 movies that I watched, and they both made me laugh out loud at multiple points because of the ridiculousness on screen. Only one of them was enjoyable for me though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

venom

it was bad. the director/hardy couldn't decide if they wanted the main character to be a hapless, semi-retarded, shlub or an intelligent, street wise cynic.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to Bother you

This movie introduces a story element about 3/4 of the way through that was unexpected on the level of the first time I watched from Dusk till dawn when I was a kid and had no idea that it had vampires in it. overall, this movie was, uhh, interesting, but I couldn't recommend it with a clear conscience to pretty much anyone.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I might have to take my 12 year old to see End Game tonight. I haven't seen a single Avengers or Avengers related movie, so this is going to be brutal for me, especially considering the runtime. But all my other kids have already seen it, and I feel bad for him.

I wonder what that movie would be like if you hadn't seen any of the previous. So much of the time and energy of the movie is spent referencing shit from the previous movies. For most MCU fans,it's what they seem to love most about endgame and the MCU. For me, it's insufferable and a poor substitute for actual story telling. For someone completely ignorant of the mcu? It would have to be damn near incomprehensible.

Yep, brv might as well have attended a laser light show with a soundtrack by michael bay.

I did see it and I definitely thought it was stupid.

I generally picked up call-backs and characters that were clearly shown to make people remember something. I understood what was happening pretty quickly in the plot, but man I thought it was bad. I hate movies about two (or more) indestructible forces throwing each other around until someone wins. It's so dumb. That's why I really liked movies like Unbreakable or Batman Begins. Nobody was indestructible and nobody was throwing anyone into 20 buildings back and forth until one magically died. (But those same people can't walk the most important briefcase in the history of the universe out of a lobby without getting knocked over and dropping it)

One thing I must have missed is how Thanos barely made the time jump when following them, but then somehow had an army of hundreds of thousands out of thin air? Where did they come from? I'm assuming I missed the explanation.

That being said, I get why people like superhero movies, I'm just not one of them.

I did think it was funny that several people were loudly sobbing/weeping when Iron Man died.

Wow. I wasn't expecting that.

• 3 weeks later...

John Wick 3

John Wick Kills Boban Marjanovic with a hard cover book in a library about ten minutes into this and it barely cracks the top 10 best scenes in the movie. I love John Wick and I hope they keep making them forever.

• Like 2

Brightburn

A much better concept than the movie it turned out to be. Still recommend it though, but not something you'd need to see in the theaters.

Tons of gore and the kid they cast for the main character did an amazing job.

• 3 months later...

The Dead Don't Die.

Probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was so pretentious and self aware and just flat that it couldn't even save itself when it tried to make itself an homage to bad horror movies in the 3rd act. An utter waste of time and effort by all involved in this project and they should each and everyone be ashamed of themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Joker.

I really enjoyed it. There's a scene that I kind of suspect was intended to be, or at least I interpreted as, a litmus test to see if the audience "got it" or not. I think anyone who laughed, which sounded like about 90% of the audience, did not get the point of the movie. I wish they would have been a little more subtle in some spots with the unreliable narrator but I really enjoyed JP's performance. 

• 2 months later...

The Rise of Skywalker

Bleh.  Below average.  Not how I wanted to see this latest trilogy end.

I would rate the 9 major films in this order 

Empire Strikes Back

New Hope

Return of the Jedi

The Last Jedi

A Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Rise of Skywalker

Phantom Menace

Most people don't have Last Jedi so high.  Why do you?

It seems to me that the Last Jedi didn't do anything to forward the plot.  You could cut it out entirely, have someone watch Awakens and then Rise and they wouldn't be lost at all.  Nothing would change at all.  I thought they would do something cool with the kids from the gambling planet, but nope.  No call-backs at all.

• 2 months later...