• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I liked the movie I am Legend. presumably, because I hadn't read the books.

I liked the movie called I Am Legend.

Then I read the book. The book was good. I liked it too.

I still liked the movie even though I liked the book too.

There's also an alternate ending that I think is better than the original.

I Am Legend was a good movie. I think Will Smith is one of the best African-American actors that has ever lived.

The End

• 2 weeks later...

Last Jedi

My thoughts...

Plot holes? Sure, but that's the case with the majority of Star Wars films. No one should be complaining about how we didn't know anything about Snoke. We didn't know anything about Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidiuos in ROTJ before he was killed. It wasn't until the prequels that we actually learned his backstory.

The whole Rey and Ben/Kylo joining forces arc was definitely necessary to set up Episode 9. Rey was still holding on to hope that Ben could be turned back to the light side. When he still asks her to join him after killing Snoke, she realizes he's a lost cause. Now he becomes the definitive antagonist in the next episode.

Rey's parents being nobodies. I guess there's still a sliver of a chance that Kylo was lying, but what does it even matter? One review I read made a great point that we seem to have this obsession with everyone being related to someone important. It makes the SW universe very small when that happens.

Overall, it was a very entertaining movie that looked and sounded terrific (especially in the Dolby theater). It's not going to win Best Picture, but it'd be pretty stupid to go in expecting that from a SW film.

7.5 out of 10

In the overall list - from best to worst

Empire

New Hope

Force Awakens

Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

Phantom Menace

• 2 weeks later...

I think you wildly overrate Force Awakens. Rouge One should have taken it's spot as #2b to A New Hopes #2a.

Logan Lucky

Only high point is a scene where prisoners have taken over the cafeteria and the warden, played by dwight yoakam, is negotiating. He tells them he can procure a copy of Dances With Dragons but the Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring haven't been published yet. The back and forth there was amusing (to nerds).

While that's definitely the funniest scene in the movie, I liked the rest of it as well. I'm a sucker for Adam Driver, but as heist-style films go, I thought it hit all the notes pretty well, and Daniel Craig was good too. It was fun! Felt like a Carolina-version of The Town.

Seth MacFarlane was bad and useless.

Tried watching Atomic Blonde but tapped out of maybe 30 or 45 minutes. Failed to keep my attention and felt way too liberal with the time hopping. Pretty sure they had a flash forward in a flash back mixed in there somewhere.

Hank, you watch the new Blade Runner yet? I'm not sure I finished Atomic Blonde, because the end game seemed exceedingly insignificant, but I liked the hour+ I drunk-watched.

As an aside, if anyone is a Plex user, let's hook up! I don't get rips super early from usenet or anything, but anything coming out in the next week or two I have in a 1080p. Plex is really good!

I haven't. The plan is to watch the first one (the final cut) and then the second one back to back. So I'll have to find a weekend where I've got like a 6 hour block I can commit to that.

Bright (Netflix)

oh god, this was a bad movie, and not in an entertaining way. One of the least enjoyable movies I have ever sat all the way through. I was actually on board for the premise. An alternate reality Urban-Fantasy Earth where Humans aren't the only civilized species. It could have been fun (It wasn't). I wouldn't even have had a problem with the heavy handed social commentary if it was actually well executed (It wasn't), or if it even made sense (it didn't, other than on the most basic possible level). None of the character's motivation made any sense and I honestly had no idea what was going on for most of the movie. There was a magic wand, and a bunch of different groups wanted it and a bunch of people died and it was really dark and grim, and there were horribly failed attempts at lightening the mood with humour and horribly failed attempts at character building. Just a disaster from start to finish.

I thought it was bad, in a highly entertaining way. I couldn't believe the tone the movie was taking, so dark and gritty. So ****ing absurd, for the story they were telling. I heard Will Smith describe it as Training Day meets Lord of The Rings, and that's exactly what it was.

Also the racial dynamics were really strange. Clearly the Orcs were stand ins for blacks and latinos, and Elves were stand ins for the white privileged elite.. but humans.... still had human racism, as well as being prejudiced against Orcs. Like Mexicans still had it shitty. Except, Will Smith was post-racial, somehow. I swear to god, I think his character was written for a white person, and then they cast Smith and didn't bother to change anything. I thought the movie was unintentionally hilarious and bizarre.

Except, Will Smith was post-racial, somehow. I swear to god, I think his character was written for a white person, and then they cast Smith and didn't bother to change anything. I thought the movie was unintentionally hilarious and bizarre.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the absurdity of it. I thought the relationship between Will Smith and the Orc cop was the strangest thing in the movie. I'm pretty sure I missed a key piece of dialogue early in the film, but, were they new/recent partners? I mean, the Orc knew Will Smith's daughter by name and that interaction on the front lawn seemed to indicate a long term partnership. And then you've got Will Smith lecturing his daughter on how being a different species doesn't make you worse or better etc.. then right after you have Will Smith just being a piece of shit to the Orc on the ride to work, berating him for something that was clearly not his fault, and generally being a dick. It was all very strange.

New ish partners, I think. The way I viewed it was, right after the Orc got assigned to Smith, Smith got shot by another orc, and this was his first time back at work ,after that shooting. So that Orc cop was still new and green. I got the impression also, that the Orc was signed to Smith, because the rest of the cops hated him. I agree, it was a very weird dynamic.

• 2 weeks later...

Paddington 2, it was quite funny, although it was only me, my Gf and an old lady in the whole cinema.. probably because they were showing Stars Wars at the same time in another hall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...