• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Dead Pool

The amount of money it made--you all saw it too, right? I liked it, didn't love it. I wanted him to be 10% gayer. Petty aside: I thought Morena Baccarin should sue the wigmaster. Call me girl, I got a couple of queens that'll help you.

FURIOUS 7.

damn if i didn't tear up at the end. RIP. movie was entertaining too.

So I looked It up and I didn't even realize Paul walker had died with so much left to shoot. I thought only the end was adjusted and cgi, but apparently it was a lot more. I didn't even really notice until that last scene. Goddamn computers man.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Another one that I'm surprised people loved. Beyond the special effects and soundtrack, which were amazing, I just don't see the appeal. Not once did I ever care about any of the main characters. Explosions and fight scenes are cool, but when you don't give a damn about who lives or dies, it's pointless.

7/10

• Like 1

Exactly. Character development wasn't really the goal of that movie. That movie would have been awful if they'd spent anytime trying to (poorly) develop characters. It would have been boring, awful and it would ruined the pace of one of the most frenetic movies I've ever seen. The reason people praise that movie so much, is it was exactly the movie it was trying to be, with absolutely no fat or wasted scenes. I wish more action movies would drop the pretense of character development and just give the people what they want

• Like 1

Exactly. Character development wasn't really the goal of that movie. That movie would have been awful if they'd spent anytime trying to (poorly) develop characters. It would have been boring, awful and it would ruined the pace of one of the most frenetic movies I've ever seen. The reason people praise that movie so much, is it was exactly the movie it was trying to be, with absolutely no fat or wasted scenes. I wish more action movies would drop the pretense of character development and just give the people what they want

Just seems like an excuse for poor writing to me.

Look at Die Hard. It has plenty of character development, story, and is still one of the greatest action flicks of all time.

I didn't necessarily hate MMFR, and I enjoy the occasional all out action fest. But I certainly don't think it's worthy of being nominated for Best Picture.

Deadpool.

I broke down and say this movie. I had zero interest in it, from when it was announced to when it came out. I was getting out of comics when Deadpool debuted, and I really didn't care about the character at all. I was certain that it was going to be Wacka Wacka terrible humor, and a disaster. So, I was shocked when it got such rave reviews and did so well at the box office. And so, I saw it. And I will say, the writing was much better than I imagined it would be. The story was rather lean. It was rather clever. That said, I'm just too old for these movies. I liked it, but I certainly didn't love it. I do hope it marks the return of the Hard R action movie, though.

Spotlight

Extremely well crafted, well acted, enjoyable movie. Not mind blowing or groundbreaking but very good.

Dubey! It was my favorite movie of the year!! I didn't see a whole lot, but still. I felt like Spotlight was more about the joy of work, and smart people working, than a focus on paedophiles.

• Like 1

Yeah I think I would agree with that. I really have zero complaints about the movie. I thought it was really, really good. For some reason, it didn't invoke the "oh my god I have to tell everyone I know about this movie" reaction from me, but I can't articulate why. I think I was expecting to love it that much. Iit was just excellent, and I was almost disappointed as a result, which is a weird "criticism", I know.

• Like 1

Love and Mercy the Brian Wilson biopic

It reminded me what a musical genius he was and also how profoundly ****ed up he and the entire family were.

• Like 1

Anomalisa.

Wow, another beautiful, sad, surreal Charlie Kaufman movie. This one was much smaller and more personal than the average CK movie. Well.. all of CK's movie's are intensely personal.. but they are also kind of big, in their own weird way. This wasn't at all. It was small and laser focused. Such a good use of stylized animation, for such a great effect. I thought it was truly beautiful and weird. I'm glad CK's making movies again.

Hmm. I was underwhelmed. I saw it on December 29th, at a screening with a Q&A after that included CK.

The singing scene was great. There were other parts that weren't great--like why the peeing?