• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Its a SNL skit that has nothing to do with the plot of any of the movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Frozen

Not the Disney flick. This is about 3 college kids that get stuck on a ski lift over a long weekend. It doesn't seem possible, but the way it's played out in the movie actually makes sense. At least it did to me.

For a movie that takes place in primarily one area, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Chewy dies and Kylo Ren is Luke Skywalker.

I didn't expect Han to sacrifice Chewy like that but at least he made it to the spaceport in time during the final scene, saving the day.

And even knowing it was coming, it still hurt to see chewie go.

The plaintive, soft way they did that iconic chewbacca howl when he died was done perfectly imo. It hit you right in the feels.

The chewy force-ghost was a bit much though.

lol, that was probably the worst thing about the movie. I said to my friend when it showed up, "there's the Jar-Jar moment of this series."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

MI5 (6/10)

Way too over the top. Felt like I was watching a damn cartoon at times. Seriously watch the scene where they crash the BMW and it does flips. But watch it on mute alongside an old Looney Tunes cartoon where someone is falling down a flight of stairs. The main villain wasn't intimidating at all. If the series ends now, then this and MI1 will be the shitty bookends to an otherwise excellent series.

Ant Man (7.5/10)

I wish I would have seen this in 3D at the theater. Solid acting all around. Were they trying to make MD's daughter look like CTJ? Paul Rudd is pretty ripped. The little child actor didn't annoy me. Special Effects were top notch, and makes a part of me wish for a HISTK reboot.

Trainwreck (5/10)

I like Amy's stand up, but why did she receive so much praise for writing this shit? I guess from all that I heard I was expecting some originality, or something groundbreaking in the ROM COM genre. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I saw it without hearing any of the reviews. I will say that there were a few funny scenes with Hader, Lebron, and Cena. Also, the little feminine son had it's moments, but was already done in Chuck and Larry.

The stop motion looked good, I found the effect to be very uncanny valley.

My spoilers on what I liked the movie

I liked the sex scene, not because it was erotic, but because it was different. I don't know why there was footage of Michael peeing and zipping up. It didn't further a story line, and didn't give a feeling of intimacy. The sex scene, that at least showed two awkward characters doing something together.

The other scene I liked a lot was Lisa singing.

My spoiler on what I thought right as the movie ended

I might stay in a loveless marriage for that arts and crafts style house.

Hateful Eight

Liked it a lot. My expectations were tempered because of the luke warm reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 3 hour run time went by quick. Was a lot smaller scale and less 'epic' than I was expecting, though I didn't do much reading about the movie before I went in. Tim Roth, Kurt Russel, Samuel L., Jennifer Jason Leigh, Bruce Dern, Walton Goggins were all fantastic. I think it might be time for Tarantino to cut ties with Michael Madsen though.

On first viewing, I think I liked it more than Django but less than Basterds.

• Like 1

I'm going to expand on that, a bit. I find it really, really strange the hateful eight has gotten such bad reviews. I found it incredibly entertaining, and deeply weird. I think people maybe were expecting a more prototypical western and not a Hitchcock movie with dick jokes.

hah. Yeah, I agree. There was a time that I would have been at the theatre on opening night for any Tarantino movie. Pulp fiction is my favourite movie of all time, but I was severely non hyped to go see this. I actually tried to convince my wife to go see Star Wars instead but she hasn't seen the originals so she didn't want to. I don't think I'm viewing it through tarantino tinted fan-boy glasses or anything.

I found the movie incredibly entertaining. I can definitely see some regular movie goers being offended by some stuff, but I have trouble understanding a professional movie critic watching it and not thinking it was a good movie.

random note: there was a group of three people that "walked out" of the theatre with less than 1 minute remaining, grumbling loudly about how terrible the movie was. Like, they were walking out as he was starting to read the letter at the end. Really? You sit through 2 hours and 47 minutes of the 2:48 run time before finally deciding that you've had enough? Also, how do you even coordinate 3 people leaving a crowded movie theatre without a full-on conversation in the middle of the movie. did they all just look at each other at the 2 hour, 46 minute mark, and give each other knowing nods? did they have a safe word? did 2 of them break much earlier in the movie but the 3rd guy was holding on, but finally had enough when he pulled out the letter again?