ex machina

felt like it could have been a really excellent short film. I fell asleep for 20 minutes due to a hangover and still understood everything going on.

about 3/4 of the way through maggie.

again, feels like it just didn't have the legs to support a full length feature but could have been an interesting short. had some continuity issues with the make up effects. the girl was a terrible actress. also seemed like a not at all subtle anti-anti-vaxxer piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Ant Man

Really enjoyable and funny, I'm happy I saw it. Paul Rudd was charming, and the whole thing was smart, clever, and performed at a higher than expected level.

Fwiw, I haven't seen most of the marvel movies, and don't have deep knowledge of the various story lines.

• Like 1

Prisoners

with Hugh Jackman / Jake Gyllenhaal

Thought it was excellent and very suspenseful throughout. I've held off watching this for a long time because since having kids, the subject of kidnapping feels more scary and real than any horror film to me. Glad I did though, really amazing performances by everyone.

• Like 1

Chappie.

Pretty bad. I liked District 9 and Elysium, but this just missed the mark with a lot of choices.

You liked it? Oof.

I rented (from video store) Ratatouille. The last time I saw it, it was in the theater.

• Like 1

I mean, it wasn't a good movie, but I don't remember disliking it. I also confuse parts of that and Oblivion, which I watched around the same time and also mostly liked, except for the terrible penis-into-vagina ending. I probably just combine the good parts of both movies in my head and make one pretty good film.

During Chappie I cringed often for multiple reasons. Which is too bad, because Dev Patel wasn't terrible, and I like him.

Elysium

It was okay to good, but pale in comparison to District 9. If I'm only talking about this movie, I felt like we spent way too much with the hellish side, and not nearly enough on the heavenly. There was also the trope of singing Enya soundalike pumped in, letting me know when something was emotional, it was sssuuuupppeeerrr emotional.

• Like 3

I agree about Ratatouille. Finding Nemo is 2nd. If only there was a decent place to discuss rankings of things and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Timbuktu

Was on both Greirson and Leitch's best movies of 2015 so far. Bleak, awful look at what miserable lives all those middle-eastern folk lead, and how much worse it gets when ISIS takes over and imposes Sharia law. It's very well done, but extremely disheartening. Soccer is outlawed, so all the kids get together on a sand-field, and pretend there's a ball in play, and everyone just imagine's the ball is going where it's supposed to. You also get to see a stoning, which apparently involves burying the guilty in sand up to their head, and THEN throwing the stones. Pretty great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mississippi Grind, starring the wonderful Ben Mendelsohn, and Ryan Reynolds.

I liked it a lot! Very good gambling/buddy movie, hits most of the right depressing/anxious notes.

• 3 weeks later...