• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Saw the last Peter Jackson tonight.

The opening scene is pretty infuriating, because if they included it in the last film, it makes it a lot better. In this movie, it's just another scene that got Benedict a lot more quid. Just doesn't make sense, other than a weird "well, they'll pay to see Smaug killed" concept, when everyone would have seen the movie if they gave a shit, to begin with.

Rest of the film plays a lot more to LOTR fight scenes than the mediocre Hobbit set scenes. The other major miss is the role of Alfrid, played for pure comic relief, and a complete disaster. Jackson has never gone for the type of the gimmicky goofy Jar Jar Binks role, usually mixing it in with existing characters, and making it work. Here, Alfrid takes it all on, and fails miserably. The humans don't have much of a role after killing Smaug, and all we get is Alfrid avoiding war at all costs to represent them. There was an easy way to make the character a suck-up to Bard and not ruin him; the director chose to make him awful, and then disappear without any retribution. A poor choice.

The idea of killing "main" characters pops up quite often, and Jackson decides to forgo real death scenes with extended mourning sequences for everyone who does die. It doesn't work, it's boring, and the fact that they won't show the "good" characters dying is awful and confusing. Spiking an orc with a dagger through the skull is fine, but a Thrain nephewbeing stabbed in the back looks like he's receiving kudos from his track coach. It just doesn't work.

Still, after all that, it was much better than the 2nd film.

1) Fix your spoiler tag please.

2) Disagree that Jackson doesn't go in for Jar Jar Binks sort of gag comedic relief. I think that's all that Gimli was in the LOTR movies.

I fixed it within like 2 minutes!

My buddy mentioned Gimli as well, but he also served a real purpose, and all his shtick with Legolas works, so I don't count it.

This part of Alfrid involves full cross-dressing for no reason, with the cross-dressing emphasized.

The latest Peter Jackson joint has earned a unique personal honor from me. It is the only film for which I've twice walked out of the viewing.

First 10 minutes was what should have been the last 10 minutes of part 2 and the end of the series, so the makers of this film started off in negative territory with me for the obvious cash grab.

Jackson, in this film, has a bad, bad case of Lucas-Spielberg syndrome. The "story" is not as much a story as it is a device to get from one sight gag/CGI ejaculation to another. If there are any individuals affiliated with the Tolkien estate that have any sense of artistic integrity, they have probably committed seppuku over their role in allowing Peter Jackson's treatment of the source material to come to fruition. If there was an opportunity for an obvious, hack "twist," Jackson seemed sure to not let it slip by unrealized.

Walk out number 1 occurred after King Dwarf sees the Orc under the ice close his eyes only to bolt open and magically burst out of the ice cover. After that I came back in to try and get a bead on how much longer I had to wait from the rest of my group in time to see possible endpoint #1 of Gandalf and Bilbo sitting down while G tries to light his pipe. Made it to where G confronts B about having a magic ring and walked out again. G can't know about the ring or the beginning of LOTR 1 gets wonky doesn't it? Reminded me of Lucas' clumsy fumblings in the prequels. That was walk out #2. Just awful.

The latest Peter Jackson joint has earned a unique personal honor from me. It is the only film for which I've twice walked out of the viewing.

First 10 minutes was what should have been the last 10 minutes of part 2 and the end of the series, so the makers of this film started off in negative territory with me for the obvious cash grab.

Jackson, in this film, has a bad, bad case of Lucas-Spielberg syndrome. The "story" is not as much a story as it is a device to get from one sight gag/CGI ejaculation to another. If there are any individuals affiliated with the Tolkien estate that have any sense of artistic integrity, they have probably committed seppuku over their role in allowing Peter Jackson's treatment of the source material to come to fruition. If there was an opportunity for an obvious, hack "twist," Jackson seemed sure to not let it slip by unrealized.

Walk out number 1 occurred after King Dwarf sees the Orc under the ice close his eyes only to bolt open and magically burst out of the ice cover. After that I came back in to try and get a bead on how much longer I had to wait from the rest of my group in time to see possible endpoint #1 of Gandalf and Bilbo sitting down while G tries to light his pipe. Made it to where G confronts B about having a magic ring and walked out again. G can't know about the ring or the beginning of LOTR 1 gets wonky doesn't it? Reminded me of Lucas' clumsy fumblings in the prequels. That was walk out #2. Just awful.

Oh man, if you'd figured out a reason to go back in, you could have walked out a third time when Elron tells Legolas to go wander around the woods looking for a man who goes by Stryder, but his real name is much more important.

I also watched and enjoyed Unbroken. I'm not sure why there is so much hate for it. It's only got 50% on RT, and I don't really get that. It's not awesome dialogue which I thought might be the case, since the Coens wrote it, but there are long stretches where no one really talks. The story is the plot, not the dialogue. But whatever, I enjoyed it enough to probably watch it a second time in the future.

Singin' in the Rain

I saw it in 35mm at the New Beverly (a revival house Tarantino owns). It's one of my favorite movies of all time, and this is the first time I've ever seen it on the big screen.

I don't know how many times I've seen it, and I was surprised that I know all the words to the songs, and I'm fairly certain I pattern my romantic daydreams on the Don Lockwood/Kathy Selden relationship. Beautiful movie, happy I had popcorn for dinner.

• Like 1

The number one movie I haven't seen in the theater that I want to is Laurence of arabia, though. I really want to see that desert scene on the big screen.

(I know, I know, they are all desert scenes. Frau knows which one I mean)

• Like 2

His widow was there last night--I think she was in her 20s when he married her towards the end of his life?

Relevant to my interests: it's really the perfect fruit fly romance. Don and Cosmo are manly, creative, and wear makeup. They have their own lives and successes.

Don meets Kathy, likes that she's a show girl. She walks away, attains a level of success on her own, and then works with Don and Cosmo for greater success. There's beautiful homes and costumes. Gene Kelly knocks me out with his American thighs.

The happy, romantic last shot is a billboard advertising the equal professional billing of Don and Kathy.

The number one movie I haven't seen in the theater that I want to is Laurence of arabia, though. I really want to see that desert scene on the big screen.

(I know, I know, they are all desert scenes. Frau knows which one I mean)

I think we've talked about this, Lawrence is another favorite movie. I can watch Singin' in the Rain on my tv, though. I've seen Lawrence 3 or 4 times in 70mm in the theater. Each time I've tried to watch it on tv I have a feeling of infidelity.

The faceoff at the well is the the scene that just makes me zing. It happens early enough in the movie, you just feel Lean's hand on your shoulder saying, "This is what I do." The desert scenes, the train scene are all amazing. Peter O'Toole is breathtakingly beautiful and talented, and you see the all his talent just ooze out of him, and plop on the sand, pickled with alcohol.

• Like 1

I really have no idea how that movie got made back then. A giant, expensive epic movie, with a no-name star, and no female lead or (overt) romance. How the hell did it get green lit?

I just re-read the wiki production section. It was after Kwai, and it sounds like Lean was making whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. Just as bewildering--Maurice Jarre was an unknown, and composed that score in 6 weeks. Suck it, James Horner.

Nightcrawler.

It was terrible. If the previews included that the main character is an unlikable sociopath that's in every scene, I wouldn't have been interested in the first place. If you're going to go dark, you gotta have dark laughs in it. This is just creepiness added to angst added to misery, with one of the worst budding-love stories ever put to film, I think. I was ready to check out after 45 minutes, but stuck with it because it's Sunday at midnight, and too late to start a new film. Wish I grabbed that extra hour of sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

ENDERS GAME.

i enjoyed it. it was rushed and motivations weren't properly established, but the story was good. though destroying the whole planet was the obvious answer the whole time.