I saw "Interstellar" as well. Quick opinion: Not horrible, not great.

I long ago learned to suspend disbelief when it comes to science and Hollywood. So the plot holes in that regard weren't too bad. Although the tidal wave scenes did make me groan internally. But the scenes looked great on the big screen so whatever.

It was the characters and dialog that really disappointed me the most. Just a couple of examples, and I'll try not to spoil anything:

For a supposedly educated Doctor, Matt Damon's character does some really stupid things.

And Anne Hathaway's speech equating love to a physical force had me scratching my head. WTF?

I've seen better and I've seen worse. But as brvheart said, it is visually stunning. A movie that really needs to be seen on a big screen... the bigger the better.

I saw it at a matinee so it only cost me $10. And I also went to an AMC dine in theater that has what they call "Cinema Suites." These are over 21 only, and serve booze and food. But what I like the most about the Suites are the seats. They are huge, very well padded leather electric recliners. You can damn near lay stretched out flat if you so desire. They rock.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

MM actually died when he entered the black hole { lol! }. Just based on the conversation with Damon about how as you're dying your survival instinct kicks in and you see your kids or whatever. I could see that being the case, but it would still not save the stuff leading up to that point, but it would be slightly redeeming.

http://www.cinemable...eans-68115.html

I assume you've seen gravity, if not, skip this

That's one of the things I really liked about gravity, is that they killed off the biggest star in it, like 1/3rd of the way through, which really, really was shocking. Up until that point, the movie was visually spectacular, but rather conventional disaster/survival movie, where the superman saves the damsel. After that point you're like oh shit, this movie is about her, not him, which I really liked. It would have been kind of amazing if they just killed MM off and followed hathaway and his professor daughter from there on out.

but if they did that, they wouldn't be able to get in all their dopey M Night gravity morse code shit into the movie. This movie's writing was Signs tier, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I agree BigD. I have seen Gravity and while it wasn't perfect, I thought it was at least 10x the movie that Interstellar was.

My new go-to critic, since The Great One passed, is Pulitzer Prize winner Wesley Morris.

He also didn't think it was good:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/interstellar-the-theory-of-everything-movie-review/

...and apparently doesn't like Nolan as a writer in general. Morris is my guy until I die.

Gravity was just about perfect, for what it was. It was a space disaster movie, nothing more, nothing less, and I was completely submerged and on the edge of my seat the whole time, from the (incredible) opening scene.

I think that quote you made, is just about exactly right, about it wanting to be a profound movie, but isn't. Very few writers can actually pull off profound. Let Charlie Kaufman make write your space script next time, fella.

I also don't want to poo poo the movie entirely, it did a great job of creating a post-apocalyptic world that was realistic and not filled with Zombies. And the space stuff was just perfect. IT was just... bloated with nonsense

Is it the kind of stuff that only those knowledgeable about space stuff and science would see as nonsense?

Absolutely not. A 5th grader should laugh at many "sciencey" things in it.

If I wasn't clear in my original review, I also thought the space scenes are very well filmed. The directing was fantastic. It was the writing that was abysmal. Really really bad.

Brvy should call up the world famous theoretical physicist that consulted on the movie only after Nolan agreed that all the science had to be within his theories and equations and tell him how wrong he got it.

Don't make me post links to make you look dumb, Suited.

Maybe just start with how Kip's theory includes:

an ejector seat working inside a black hole.

While you're at it, maybe expand on how the spaceship didn't collapse on itself before the ejector magically worked in a place that has so much gravity that light can't move.

Well inside of a black hole light can move, its just cannot escape. But I thunk, having read his book, he would argue that the advanced humans have developed the ability to manipulate the dark matter required to keep a wormhole open and t create a fifth dimensional reality built out of "time" and therefore were able to manipulate the inside of the black hole through similar means. Its obviously not possible by todays science, but an infinitely advanced human race could theoretically manipulate black holes and time warps to allow for a human to survive going through both.

Morevover, not all black holes have the same gravitational force.

You should really read the book. It was fascinating.

• Like 1

The only thing I didnt like was the time travel paradox. How could they build the wormhole to save us in the future if we needed that wormhole to survive in the first place. Im sure Kip could answer that, I just dont kno what he would say.

Well, riddle me this then, Kip...

if these theoretical futuristic 5th dimensional, time traveling humans ( or what ever they **** they are), have the technological ability to both travel through space and time, and make an artificial black hole, that serves as an inter dimensional gate way to a little girl's bed room, why the **** do they need this one earth woman to solve the problem of harnessing gravity? Why not go back and time, and instead of shooting MM back out through the space time vortex, you instead shoot out some magic 5th dimensional anti blight cream/teraforming kit, and fix the whole planet in the first place? You're telling me they can build a black hole/fun house, but they haven't cracked the teraforming code yet? You can build a black hole to span time, but the only possibly way to communicate is through a twitching watch? Are you trying to teach the humans a lesson about dirtywork?

• Like 1

why didn't god build skyscrapers? some things are best done on your own.

and because LOVE is the one thing that transcends space and time. without his love for his daughter the whole thing collapses. DUH.

• Like 2

Well, Synechdoche, New York might be my favorite movie of all time, and certainly in my top 5, so its high praise. I think it's a masterpiece, I'm still digesting it. It's probably a little too inside baseball, to be beloved outside of the industry/critics, but it's going to clean up in award season, I think.

Saw Birdman today. Best movie I've seen since Schnechdoche, NY

Wow. That's high praise. Do I need to see it in the theater?

Wow. That's high praise. Do I need to see it in the theater?

Well, I think any great movie is best seen in the theater. The camera movement is so dynamic, and so many shots use every inch of the screen, I think it's worth seeing in the theatre, for certain.

Well, I think any great movie is best seen in the theater. The camera movement is so dynamic, and so many shots use every inch of the screen, I think it's worth seeing in the theatre, for certain.

I was only planning to see one more in the theater this year and this was on my TV wish list, but I'll bump it up and report back.

• Like 1

Just watched Lucy. It could have been really good. It wasn't. The last 15 minutes throw all the good stuff they did out the window, and just kind of end the movie with cut sequences and no real explanation of what's going on, or why. And the worst part is, they didn't need to answer those questions, but the way they show it, it makes that stuff important. It's obvious from the beginning that there shouldn't be any attempts at logical explanation, so why even eff with it? My other downside is they turn Scarlet's character into a wooden know-it-all, which, okay, maybe, but for someone who isn't respected for her acting to begin with, just makes her look worse, because of directorial decisions. Her "Her" character has more personality and humanness than most of Lucy, because that's what "they" wanted. Frustrating for me, because there was a lot of potential here, and the parts that worked were overrun by the choice of ending. With the credits, it comes in at under 90 minutes, and that was really going to work in its favor until they butchered and rushed the last 15 for absolutely no reason except to get to the big explain-it-all montage that doesn't do anything except create questions you didn't have to begin with.

Boo.