• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Under the Skin.

It definitely wasn't awful, but I also definitely didn't watch it all in one sitting. Scarjo gets super naked in it a few times, which is nice. There were some pretty amazing scenes where she is fully clothed too. Also some of the creepiest shit I've ever seen.

I went into it knowing it was basically an art film and that it would be slow, so I wasn't thrown by that. I also knew it would be a little creepy, but goddam, it is extremely creepy.

People complain that there's no plot or whatever but, objectively, there is, and it's not that subtle or anything. It's slow and repetitive, but it really is mesmerizing.

Visually stunning, and that soundtrack, goddam. Maybe I'll post a couple screenshots later. I recommend it if you want a really creepy beautiful artsy film.

• Like 1

Under the Skin.

It definitely wasn't awful, but I also definitely didn't watch it all in one sitting. Scarjo gets super naked in it a few times, which is nice. There were some pretty amazing scenes where she is fully clothed too. Also some of the creepiest shit I've ever seen.

I went into it knowing it was basically an art film and that it would be slow, so I wasn't thrown by that. I also knew it would be a little creepy, but goddam, it is extremely creepy.

People complain that there's no plot or whatever but, objectively, there is, and it's not that subtle or anything. It's slow and repetitive, but it really is mesmerizing.

Visually stunning, and that soundtrack, goddam. Maybe I'll post a couple screenshots later. I recommend it if you want a really creepy beautiful artsy film.

yeah, I saw it at an art house, and I was mesmerized, that's a good word for it. I didn't know what the hell was going on for the first half of it, until I figured out what was up. And yeah, it's super creepy. Scarjo pulls off a super creepy performance.

Thank You for Sharing

Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins. It's a movie about recovering sex addicts (Ruffalo and Robbins), and how they approach their current romantic lives.

This movie was unsettling to me--it was directed by one of the writers of Kids are Alright, and it has Mark Ruffalo. The film is going to be able to capture some emotional vulnerability. The unsettling parts came with the slap stick comedy (courtesy of Pink and Josh Gad). I felt like I was watching some characters do some emotional, vulnerable work in a narrative world that wouldn't respect it. I wanted to warn Ruffalo and Robbins that it didn't matter what step they were on, or how many outreach calls they made. They were in a movie that featured wacky bicycle chases, and Carol Kane molesting her grown son.

American Hustle

i was underwhelmed honestly. didn't really think it was that good.

I saw it recently and I liked it a lot. I didn't totally love it, but I thought it was very good. The characters were interesting, and the acting was pretty fantastic. Also Louis CK shows up out of nowhere. And Robert freakin De Niro. It was funny, cool, intriguing, etc.

The plot left me wanting more though. It wasn't as interesting as it should have been.

Unfortunately, I'm with suited on this one. I saw in a very un-ideal setting, a burned copy with a bunch of people, but at no point did I want to tell anyone to shut up so I could figure out the plot. I should probably re-watch it, and it looks like a fun movie to make, but watching it wasn't great.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow, tonight. Really a brilliant literal cross of Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers. Pretty good, overall. You can predict the Hollywood ending the moment all the pieces are in place, but that's ultimately okay because that's the kind of movie it is. Sure it could have been better, and it misses a lot of the camp of Troopers, but it was still a fun watch, I don't think it has a ton of replay, though.

oculus.

started off pretty good. interesting approach. then the female lead says something like "we should stay together" then immediately wanders off. that was the turning point and everything really started to fall apart quickly.

I thought Amy Adams was pretty good, Renner was pretty good, Cooper was likeable, Bale was great, JLaw stole every scene she was in.

Like I said the plot was a minor letdown but it was still pretty riveting because it was so well put together and well acted and sometimes funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8CMTTDci0

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

X-Men Days of Future Past

Really enjoyed this one. Although I'm not a fan of

using the time travel element to bring back the characters that were killed off previously. Also, I know we first learned that Professor X was still alive in the credits of the last Wolverine movie, but did they ever mention how?

The Purge Anarchy

On the fence with this one. I feel like I should be saying it was shit, but it was sooooo much better than the first one, that I actually feel like it was a half way decent movie.

Birdman

Actors are Michael Keaton, Ed Norton, er al. The real star of this movie is the director/writer Innaritu. This is the movie--hire the babysitter, drive out of your way but go see this thing as soon you can in a theater. It's great and should be seen with little info given.

Watch the scenes--they're comprised of extraordinarily long takes. Michael Bay go suck a bag of d.

Some broad strokes

based some on Raymond Carver "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" this movie also has narrative Magic. (NOT MY CAPITALISM, MY PHONE IS CRAY.)

The score is mostly drum solos--superb.

There's lots more, I hate typing on this tiny keypad. Maybe my favorite movie since Children of Men?

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had the chance to see either Birdman or Interstellar today, and we opted for interstellar because we could walk from my house to the theater that's showing it ( stoned) and watch it, where as Birdman I'd have to go downtown and park on a Saturday ( Since Nebraska is off, it wouldn't be that hard, but w/e)

So, I opted for stoned and close

wish I would have seen birdman, all things considered. I really, really liked this movie, and it was spectacular visually in the ways that Gravity was, the space scenes were just so spectacular. But, the pseudo science mumbo jumbo parts of the movie, I could really do with out. I'll take weird, abstract and trippy 2001-style over.. this. I thought Gravity was able to suspend my disbelief and was completely immersive, in a way this one wasn't. This had a little too much... M. Night for my tastes (though it's about 50 cuts above "Swing Away" and the like. )

Probably going to see Birdman on my own tomorrow

Also, there was a furious 7 trailer, which naturally had me pumped. However, I really think the franchise could have taken a magnificent left turn, if they'd had Tarantino direct Furious 7, and do a Magnificent 7-style movie, re-imagined in the Fast universe. I could be thinking that, because I'm still stoned.

I made a better choice. I wedged in another viewing of Birdman before working today. It's still great, and I'm happy to have seen it twice.

There's a great meta statement. The movie has tons of tension for the characters, and tons of tension for the actors trying not to blow the take. This movie also has truly fantastic contempt for actors, and for some aspects of show business.

The broad strokes are still too big, the scene with Riggan locked out of the stage entrance, etc. But it goes so quickly into a romantic director's vision of what makes a movie great, with the Times Square footage.

Warrior (2011)

I'm not really a UFC fan, so I can't speak with authority about the authenticity or lack thereof of the in ring action (I suspect there were a few too many body slams), but it sure felt authentic. I also recognize that this was purely a shameless crowd pleasing underdog sports story, but god damn did I love this movie. I liked it better than any of the Rocky movies, there I said it. This was the perfect sports movie for me.

Warrior is really good. You're pretty spot-on about the bodyslams; the only real issue for me in the fighting was that each round doesn't consist of amazing throws and drops. That's like, once a month, maybe. But its a great movie, overall.

I saw interstellar. Nolan has me scratching my head. He needs to stop writing and just direct. He's like the anti-Coens.

There was so much stupid stuff in this movie, it was hard for me to enjoy. The acting was ok. (Not Matt Damon though) The visuals were amazaballs. The dialogue and massive massive plot holes were so piss poor it ruined the movie. I'm actually pretty surprised that it has a 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. At least 20% of that is simply Nolan fanboys.

Not really a spoiler because it's in every trailer:

Anyone else have a problem with 2,000 foot waves on a water planet, where the "ocean" is only 2 feet deep? No? Ok.

This Slate review sums it up for me:

http://www.slate.com...lativity.2.html

"I’d say that the real, basic problem with Interstellar is that it’s a movie that desperately wants to be profound, but simply isn't."

Plot hole summary:

http://popwatch.ew.c...lar-plot-holes/

I so wanted this movie to be Inception-awesome... but it wasn't.

The only thing that would redeem it even a little is if...

MM actually died when he entered the black hole { lol! }. Just based on the conversation with Damon about how as you're dying your survival instinct kicks in and you see your kids or whatever. I could see that being the case, but it would still not save the stuff leading up to that point, but it would be slightly redeeming.

http://www.cinemable...eans-68115.html