I don't remember a single thing about Kickass, other than that it featured an extremely long, brutal fistfight between an adult man and a little girl, which the little girl lost. I have to give it props for that alone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Tim's Vermeer

Interesting documentary about a guy who thinks he figured out a way that Vermeer might have used a form of camera obscura to make his paintings, and then sets out to recreate a Vermeer using that method, with no background or ability as a painter himself.

The documentary itself isn't perfect, but the story is pretty great and it's a short movie (80 minutes).

• Like 1

Kickass 2 got a little out there for me.

Did you see Hanna, Ronald? That was real good.

Started watching Under the Skin, with Scarlett, because both of the deadspin guys had it on their best movies of 2014 list. Got about 40 minutes into it. Too weird and slow for this American.

• Like 1

Korengal

Kickstarter follow-up to Restrepo. Mostly just extra footage, more about mindset and how all the guys felt and what they were thinking during/after the deployments. Not nearly as intense as Restrepo, but still well done, sad, and interesting.

Boyhood

Directed by Richard Linklater, and filmed over 12 years, it follows one family--particularly one boy's family over time. The movie was filmed for about a week a year--the result is a family who ages naturally. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette are the mother/father in this movie. The gentle rolling pace of the movie obscures its 2 1/2 hour running time. I liked this movie a lot, I particularly respond to Linklater's interest in time and relationships, and how a person changes or remains the same. When you look at this movie, with the Before Sunrise trilogy, you see how he's working on a singular type of narrative.

This film is a fictional biography. A boy ages from 6-18. The below aren't particularly spoilers, but does cover specific things from the movie.

I loved the impressionist feelings, particularly in the scene where the family drives away, and young Mason might have seen his friend through the corn field. I also felt abashed at this gentle story telling. I have been so conditioned to expect a certain kind of story telling, my brain leaps forward to fill in the expected gap. There's a shot of a middle aged man playing golf, and is about to take a putt. I flinched, expecting him to keel over dead on the golf course. Nothing happened, he took the putt. The shot was there to lengthen the sequence of the stepfather on the golf course. That's all--and that's enough. The stepfather's presence with that family was visceral and real.

Other bits of reality that have caught in my brain: both parents in this movie are not good parents. I guess they're doing the best with what they have, but neither one are tortured by or even aware of each of their shortcomings. This movie does a great job with showing how predatory and threatening alcohol can look, even if just swirled in a wine glass. Mason's changing hair dos are each more real than the last, and his final, oldest incarnation as a slightly grubby and dingy art school student is so real and timeless I feel like I know that kid. Some of the kid scenes had flat line readings, but Patricia Arquette deserves an Oscar for being one of the best and realest mom's, and portraying it the same for so long.

• Like 2

The Place Beyond the Pines

I've wanted to watch this one for awhile. Really enjoyed it. Not really what I was expecting. I can't remember another film that has this distinct of a 3-act structure. Maybe The Deer Hunter? There were a few awkwardly written scenes where the dialogue just didn't seem natural and the actors struggled to deliver it wihout sounding awkward, but overall, I really really enjoyed it, and the 2.5 hour run time flew by.

22 Jump Street

Pretty hysterical. I laughed a lot. I liked this first movie and I think Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have good chemistry.A few of the jokes were overdone, and quite a few jokes fell flat, but overall, I still laughed out loud a LOT during the movie, and really enjoyed it.

Saw the Ape movie yesterday. I liked the first one better, but this was still really good. I read they already have another one in the works for July 2016 which I can only assume will follow the Planet of the Apes story line.

• 4 weeks later...

Boyhood

Wow. Really loved this. You hit some of my favorite notes in your recap, but I don't think there's a part I didn't love. I don't know how this is anything but brilliant filmmaking. The music and media anachronisms flow, the family dynamics seem hella-real, and you're just along for this 12 year journey that Linklater manages to tell in 2.5 hours. Great stuff.

• Like 2

How to Survive a Plague

It's a documentary following the early years of AIDS in America, and the formation of ACT UP and TAG. It was great, really great, and not just because I'm a fag hag. It's mostly made of archival footage, you can see how dynamic and persuasive and thoughtful these activists were. The movement started with some chaos, but then rolled and changed into hardcore scientific study and systemic critiques.

The timeframe also put it in the beginning of a political movement telling its story directly to the media, and how much weight they gave that (a lot). I enjoy story telling, and ways people shape their message. The end of the movie is a celebration of protease inhibitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet

Documentary that's been in the works for awhile I believe. It's about Jason Becker, a guitar prodigy who right before going on his first tour with David Lee Roth in the early 90s, was diagnosed with ALS. I've been a fan of his since first hearing his album Perspective 10 years or so ago. It wasn't until after many listens that I actually learned about his story. So obviously, I was very excited to see this one. It met my exceptions, and in all honesty, I don't think you need to even know who he is to appreciate this documentary.

In light of all the recent clips of people having a good time pouring ice water on themselves, I think it does a good job showing just how horrible ALS really is.

How to Survive a Plague

It's a documentary following the early years of AIDS in America, and the formation of ACT UP and TAG. It was great, really great, and not just because I'm a fag hag. It's mostly made of archival footage, you can see how dynamic and persuasive and thoughtful these activists were. The movement started with some chaos, but then rolled and changed into hardcore scientific study and systemic critiques.

The timeframe also put it in the beginning of a political movement telling its story directly to the media, and how much weight they gave that (a lot). I enjoy story telling, and ways people shape their message. The end of the movie is a celebration of protease inhibitors.

I'm reading "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. You should read it if you haven't, it's brilliant. It's basically the definitive work on the early years of the AIDS epidemic, starting at the very very beginning and focusing mostly on America. It follows patients, activists, doctors, politicians, etc, and you get all these personal stories while also getting the larger picture of how the disease spread, what people did or didn't do about it, how the scientists and doctors worked to find a cure, how politics got in the way, and everything else. It was written in 1987 so it really is just the early years. Shilts was a San Francisco reporter who was gay so it's told from the ground floor but also, like I said, it's brilliant investigative journalism covering everything at the CDC and NIH and everywhere else. It doesn't just focus on San Francisco.

It's super long but totally gripping. I'm not even quite halfway through - they finally just came up with a name for the disease ("AIDS"), but they still haven't isolated the virus or even become 100% certain that it really is a communicable virus. Before that it was called, by various different people: gay cancer, GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency), and other similar names which for obvious reasons didn't stick. Still only a few thousand people have died at this point in the story (1983) and it's already kind of heartbreaking. It's about to get utterly devastating, but it's a really incredible story.

• Like 2

Boyhood.

Very unique movie filmed over 12 years following a boy as the main actor from age 6 to 18 years old. The weird thing about the movie is that there's really no climax, it's just a movie about life, about the struggles that many families go through. It's a long movie about 2hr 45min but you leave wanting more. For a movie surrounding a boy growing up I found it weird they focused more on family than social life of school. I was expecting

some bullying, some peer pressures, etc

. but that doesn't take away anything from the film.

It's also the first Ethan Hawke movie I think I've ever enjoyed.

• Like 1

I'm reading "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. You should read it if you haven't, it's brilliant. It's basically the definitive work on the early years of the AIDS epidemic, starting at the very very beginning and focusing mostly on America. It follows patients, activists, doctors, politicians, etc, and you get all these personal stories while also getting the larger picture of how the disease spread, what people did or didn't do about it, how the scientists and doctors worked to find a cure, how politics got in the way, and everything else. It was written in 1987 so it really is just the early years. Shilts was a San Francisco reporter who was gay so it's told from the ground floor but also, like I said, it's brilliant investigative journalism covering everything at the CDC and NIH and everywhere else. It doesn't just focus on San Francisco.

It's super long but totally gripping. I'm not even quite halfway through - they finally just came up with a name for the disease ("AIDS"), but they still haven't isolated the virus or even become 100% certain that it really is a communicable virus. Before that it was called, by various different people: gay cancer, GRID (Gay Related Immune Deficiency), and other similar names which for obvious reasons didn't stick. Still only a few thousand people have died at this point in the story (1983) and it's already kind of heartbreaking. It's about to get utterly devastating, but it's a really incredible story.

I haven't read it. I've been continuing to think about How to Survive a Plague--if you're liking the book, I'd recommend watching the movie when you're done. The movie shows how these men changed America and the world. They changed medical testing protocols, ways to sell drugs, and health care. They kept at it--and because most of the movie is made of footage shot at the time. I've always thought Larry Kramer is an *******, and then I saw this footage of him yelling at someone. In my haste to pigeonhole Kramer as an *******, I forgot how smart and compelling he could be. He owns the confrontation, just owns it.

At a certain point, the AIDS related funerals changed, and became political acts, with open caskets, and parades, and bodies being presented to Gracie Mansion. (The argument was government neglect was the gasoline of AIDS.)

Boyhood was a movie that is fictional, and I flinched left and right, waiting for major dramatic swings. How to Survive a Plague is a documentary, and watching it, I forget it's real life. The speeches delivered may have been planned, but it was all real.

Larry Kramer is one of about 10-12 main characters in the book. Whatever else he might be, he was also one of the first people anywhere in the world to recognize how incredibly serious the outbreak of gay pneumonia might be, and to tell anyone who would listen. Like, when a lot of researchers still thought/hoped it was a bad batch of drugs, he was telling gay men to stop having sex.

I'll have to watch that movie after I finish the book.

It's also the first Ethan Hawke movie I think I've ever enjoyed.

What the hell!?

Have you not seen Gattaca, Mystery Date, or Training Day?!

Dead Poet's Society?!

Hell, I even really enjoyed Lord of War and Alive.

White Fang is a ****ing classic.

This isn't even mentioning the Sunset trilogy.

Wow. I really don't understand how a movie critic could not like ANY of those movies.

What the hell!?

Have you not seen Gattaca, Mystery Date, or Training Day?!

Dead Poet's Society?!

Hell, I even really enjoyed Lord of War and Alive.

White Fang is a ****ing classic.

This isn't even mentioning the Sunset trilogy.

Wow. I really don't understand how a movie critic could not like ANY of those movies.

What can I say? I can't stand his facial expressions (or lack thereof). Something about his face on screen just bothers me I can't explain it. I think the fact that he had more or less a side role in Boyhood worked for me. Also, I guess I could say I enjoyed Lord of War, but mostly because of the opening scene.

Hey! Are a you critic? What outlets?

No no... I'm not a movie critic, a wannabe writer moons ago.

Basically I had started up a movie review website years ago but couldn't recruit the right people to make it work long term. Guys here just like to give me a hard time about it haha.

• Like 1