• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

i did not read the book. i had low expectations. and i'm a sucker for post apocalyptic zombie stories.

You should. The book is amazing. I didn't think the movie was that bad (although the end was awful, and I went in with microscopic expectations), it's just so weird that they adapted the book into that. They pretty much took the title and told a completely different story.

The book is a whole lot of different people from all over the world doing a post-war debrief with a reporter who's compiling their stories into the book we're reading. There's no Brad Pitt character that I remember, and if there was he'd only appear for 3% of the story or whatever and then we'd move on to the next person's survival story.

That might not have adapted well into a 100 minute film, but they even completely changed the zombies. And they could have just picked a few of the stories and interweaved them or something. But they basically just started over with the movie and kept a handful of references to the book.

Also I recommend the audiobook. I know audiobooks are meh but they got about 50 different readers, one for each chapter, and most of them are great. A few of them are extremely famous actors (the author is Mel Brooks' son).

I saw The Notebook last night--it was okay.

I think I waited too long, it's not the most original movie on earth, and with its popularity, I recognized a lot of the art direction and shots. Gosling and McAdams had good chemistry--I felt like there was 20 good minutes.

• Like 1

Movies I've seen this week:

her: I liked it.

Jack Ryan: Stupid. Retarded plot. Bad writing. I liked the cast though. The main Star Trek guy has a future.

Lone Survivor: It was fine.

The Tree of Life: Great.

Movies I've seen this week:

her: I liked it.

Jack Ryan: Stupid. Retarded plot. Bad writing. I liked the cast though. The main Star Trek guy has a future.

Lone Survivor: It was fine.

The Tree of Life: Great.

Were all of these new to you?

That doesn't seem right, did you see ToL on the big screen? I only saw it once (posted about it, you liked it three years later, thank you for the attention to detail). On the small screen, though?

I still think about it. Hmmm. To the thread!

Yep. All 4 were new to me. I never made it to the theater for ToL, sadly.

I still loved it.

Bill Cunningham New York

It's a documentary about a NYC fashion photographer. Cunningham shoots photos of fashion on the street, philanthropic galas, and fashion shows. I know what this sounds like, but the message of the movie is populist. Cunningham has little to no interest in celebrity and money--the work is the thing. Watching this doc reminds me that optimism and productivity are learned traits. At the end of this doc, I felt like I knew him a little.

Pulp Fiction

I think this is the first time I've seen it in 10 years. It remains my favorite QT film. Uma Thurman and Samuel L. Jackson owned this movie.

The Mr. Wolf sequence is what I watch for every time, and somehow Tarantino didn't ruin his own film with his self conscious screen presence.

• Like 2

Bill Cunningham New York

It's a documentary about a NYC fashion photographer. Cunningham shoots photos of fashion on the street, philanthropic galas, and fashion shows. I know what this sounds like, but the message of the movie is populist. Cunningham has little to no interest in celebrity and money--the work is the thing. Watching this doc reminds me that optimism and productivity are learned traits. At the end of this doc, I felt like I knew him a little.

Sold!

So I watched this apes movie this weekend and I was really impressed. Digital tech has come a long way, you fully get immersed in the story and totally accept that these are real apes. Also,

being such a political cynic, I was happy to see the story arc give way from revolutionary glory in the first movie, into Orwellian corruption of that revolution by tyrannical self interest.

Loved post-apocalyptical San Fran, also. This is my kind of blockbuster

Watched this weekend.

Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass 2

Lee Daniels: The Butler

Enjoyed all three

I have seen all three and agree that they are all enjoyable

• Like 1