Wesley Morris, my go-to guy for reviews since Ebert died, thought it sucked.

Wesley Morris is fantastic.

Here's his recent review of Noah if anyone's interested: http://grantland.com/features/noah-cesar-chavez-russell-crowe/?_r=true

And here's a slightly brilliant review he wrote for Fast Five in 2011, which contributed to him winning a Pulitzer Prize that year (only the 4th film critic to ever do so - Ebert was the first): http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/04/24/fast_forward/

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Wesley Morris, my go-to guy for reviews since Ebert died, thought it sucked.

i'm not entirely sure he's looking for the same things in this movie, that I am. Disaster movies in general crack me up. There's no way I won't like it, if it sucks I'll like it all the more

It's part Lorax, Part lord of the rings, part anti-titanic. Arron toke some artistic lisence with the story, that I'm sure will tilt the shit out of conservative Christians ( as the movie is basically a fairy tale for green anarchist vegans), but I thought it was tremendous and well made.

I've seen 12 Years A Slave three times now, and it gets better each time. It's unreal that Matthew McConaughey won the Oscar over Chiwetel Ejiofor, and it's a travesty on par with Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan. It's not just wrong, it's disgusting.

That last scene with his family is unreal. Unreal.

I thought Lupita Nyong'o was amazing in the movie and absolutely deserved the Oscar.

I also think Chiwetel Ejiofor outshines her performance in the movie by a fair distance.

Assuming you saw Dallas Buyers Club, were you not particularly impressed with MM's performance? Or were you very impressed but you still thought CE's performance was light years ahead?

I don't think it's close to Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan, because Shakespeare in Love wasn't that great and Saving Private Ryan was absolutely incredible. I think MM and CE were both extremely good, and both fairly deserving of an Oscar.

I was impressed with MM. I just don't feel like it was close.

Gotcha.

I kinda wish we could see the Oscar voting results, like how close it was and who got how many votes, but that would just be rubbing salt in the wound for the non-winners I guess.

By the way, I think the best director absolutely went to the right person. I don't think Steve McQueen did as well as another director could have with the same source material.

However the acting on 12 Years a slave was so unbelievably great, that I think it may have been top 3 to 5 ever in history. Michael Fassbender was also amazing and got no love from the Oscars.

Overall though I'm super happy with how it went down, in that Steve McQueen didn't win the best director, but the movie overall won best picture. I think that was perfect.

Yes. But tons of Oscar winners are being released on DVD/streaming right now.

Michael Fassbender was also amazing and got no love from the Oscars.

He did get nominated for supporting actor! but nobody was gonna beat Jared Leto. Not that Leto was necessarily any better (although he was very good and maybe he was better), but more that Leto played a lovable and "important" and feel-good-tearjerker role.

But a nomination is still a big deal for Fassbender.

I did the same, and actually didn't finish watching First Avenger until the day of. There's a lot to like in it, pretty much everything except the action/fight sequences. I didn't see it in 3D, but I can imagine the action as just a blur. Cameras way too close, too many cuts. Didn't really ruin anything for me, but those are definitely the weak scenes.

I've seen 12 Years A Slave three times now, and it gets better each time. It's unreal that Matthew McConaughey won the Oscar over Chiwetel Ejiofor, and it's a travesty on par with Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan. It's not just wrong, it's disgusting.

That last scene with his family is unreal. Unreal.

I thought Lupita Nyong'o was amazing in the movie and absolutely deserved the Oscar.

I also think Chiwetel Ejiofor outshines her performance in the movie by a fair distance.

I can't imagine someone wanting to watch 12 Years A Slave multiple times. The acting is excellent but Schindler's List is a movie with expert performances and there is zero chance I'll ever view that movie again. It's obvious 12 YAS was hard for me to watch even though they toned down the abuse to make it more palatable. Some scenes were just completely unrealistic and inconsistent with the slave owners attitude and handlers which was fine with me.

Humans are the worst.

I can't imagine someone wanting to watch 12 Years A Slave multiple times. The acting is excellent but Schindler's List is a movie with expert performances and there is zero chance I'll ever view that movie again. It's obvious 12 YAS was hard for me to watch even though they toned down the abuse to make it more palatable. Some scenes were just completely unrealistic and inconsistent with the slave owners attitude and handlers which was fine with me.

Humans are the worst.

I'm halfway through the original book by Northup, written in 1853. It's amazing. The movie toned down a ton of stuff. For instance, the crying woman with the two kids... When the boy was sold he actually looked at his wailing mother and said, "Dont cry mama, I'll be a good boy".

• 4 weeks later...