So I just saw gravity, on 2D, alas. It was absolutely incredible film making. This is a movie I simply can't imagine watching on a home screen, no matter how large and high quality. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe If I knew more about space physics, things would tilt me, but it seemed totally plausible and terrifying in a wholly novel way. Some of the shots, the long cuts ( I assume they were digitally manipulated A La Children of Men to appear to be long shots), it was just incredible.

Yes, the Dialog can be painful at times, but it's absolutely not a dialog driven movie.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

So I just saw gravity, on 2D, alas. It was absolutely incredible film making. This is a movie I simply can't imagine watching on a home screen, no matter how large and high quality. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe If I knew more about space physics, things would tilt me, but it seemed totally plausible and terrifying in a wholly novel way. Some of the shots, the long cuts ( I assume they were digitally manipulated A La Children of Men to appear to be long shots), it was just incredible.

Yes, the Dialog can be painful at times, but it's absolutely not a dialog driven movie.

And it legitimately has the best use of 3-D I can remember. (Captain Eo, notwithstanding, of course.)

• Like 1

. Some of the shots, the long cuts ( I assume they were digitally manipulated A La Children of Men to appear to be long shots),

You know it's strange, but I paid almost no attention to this movie, the reviews or anything, going into it. I just knew it was about space and it had a lot of rave reviews, so I legitimately didn't know that the Children of Men director did this movie, until after I wrote this post, and IMDB'd gravity. I'm kind of proud of myself I made that connection.

Children of Men and Gravity, (Along with Moon) are two of my 3 favorite sci-fi movies of the last 10 years, I will now see anything this director makes, no questions asked.

I also liked Y Tu Mama Tambien.

I know he did one of the Harry Potter movies, but I don't remember which one was which.

Prisoner of Azkaban, which was probably the best film in the series. Best source material, too, though.

Cuaron's use of long takes must require a ridiculous amount of precision and planning. Can't be easy to act in, either. If you miss your mark my 2 inches the shot is ruined

Prisoner of Azkaban, which was probably the best film in the series. Best source material, too, though.

Cuaron's use of long takes must require a ridiculous amount of precision and planning. Can't be easy to act in, either. If you miss your mark my 2 inches the shot is ruined

Well, they do, but they aren't as long as they seem, I watched a short documentary about them in children of men, and they aren't actual continuous filming,

Nothing? Avatar?

Well, they do, but they aren't as long as they seem, I watched a short documentary about them in children of men, and they aren't actual continuous filming,

Well, I haven't seen that documentary, but I was assuming it wasn't a REAL 18 minute take. But it still has to be ultra sharp filmmaking. If it's going to look good, you've got some very precise acting, in terms of movement, marks, tempo, etc. Right? Just given the necessary camera locations and shot lines, there has to be some pretty ridiculous logistical challenges

• Like 1

When I first saw Children of Men I was underwhelmed. I thought it was a well-written, well-acted sci-fi flick, but nothing to write home about. Very good movie, but not A GREAT FILM or anything. Then I took a really cool film class, and we asked our TA what his favorite movies ever, were. He didn't answer that question, but he did tell us his favorite moves of the 2000s so far were 25th Hour, United 93, Royal Tennenbaums, The Incredibles, and Children of Men.

I asked him what the **** was so good about Children of Men, and he turned into a goblin. He was so ****ing passionate about how incredible of a movie it was that he got most of us to watch it with him on a Friday night while he walked us through the awesomeness. I didn't follow most of it, but I did understand the basic gist as to its, and Cuaron's, awesomeness.

When I first saw Children of Men I was underwhelmed. I thought it was a well-written, well-acted sci-fi flick, but nothing to write home about. Very good movie, but not A GREAT FILM or anything. Then I took a really cool film class, and we asked our TA what his favorite movies ever, were. He didn't answer that question, but he did tell us his favorite moves of the 2000s so far were 25th Hour, United 93, Royal Tennenbaums, The Incredibles, and Children of Men.

I asked him what the **** was so good about Children of Men, and he turned into a goblin. He was so ****ing passionate about how incredible of a movie it was that he got most of us to watch it with him on a Friday night while he walked us through the awesomeness. I didn't follow most of it, but I did understand the basic gist as to its, and Cuaron's, awesomeness.

Yeah, I had just never seen a movie like that. IT was so kinetic. He's shots just weren't masturbatory awesomeness, like something like Touch of Evil's opening shot. They were used effectively to build drama. And Cuaron uses so much of the screen, you never know what direction something is going to be coming from. The movies are utterly immersive.

I would be best friends with that teacher based on those titles.

Yeah, I had just never seen a movie like that. IT was so kinetic. He's shots just weren't masturbatory awesomeness, like something like Touch of Evil's opening shot. They were used effectively to build drama. And Cuaron uses so much of the screen, you never know what direction something is going to be coming from. The movies are utterly immersive.

Exactly, all of those things. My TA was using words I didn't fully understand at the time, because he was a goblin, but he kept pointing out how alive every shot felt, and how uncomfortable it was once you knew you should expect a cut. Seriously, that part about "expecting a cut" was weird for me. We're so used to seeing cuts that it's massively discomforting when a single shot lasts longer than a few seconds.

But

is the scene he showed while screaming. "DIRECTING AND ACTING AND ALL OF THE THINGS THAT ARE GOOD THINGS AND THIS IS AMAZING AND ACTING AND PLEASE TELL ME YOU UNDERSTAND [CRYING]."

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.

I don't know if I've told the story--I used to talk with Guillermo del Toro once or twice a month. He's exactly what you see in his docs, super charismatic, nerdy, smart, and friendly.

I hadn't seen him in a while, and when I bumped into him I blurted out "Have you seen Children of Men?" It had just done its first premiere, maybe at Cannes? And by asking this, I violate the rule: Never never ask talent or creatives anything about someone's else's project, or previous work of their own.

Anyway, I'm on fan girl express, I blurt what I blurt, and del Toro closes his eyes and says yes. Then he says, "Oh, there's this scene. I don't know how he deeed it. I told heeeem, 'You motherphucker, you show theees to me now?!'"

I remember I wanted to see Pan's Labyrinth, but not like I wanted to see Children of Men.

My other favorite thing about Children of Men and Gravity is the DP not telling how he achieved the shots. He doesn't participate in the extras, and when he does give an interview, he makes it clear that he's not giving out his secrets.

• Like 5

But

is the scene he showed while screaming. "DIRECTING AND ACTING AND ALL OF THE THINGS THAT ARE GOOD THINGS AND THIS IS AMAZING AND ACTING AND PLEASE TELL ME YOU UNDERSTAND [CRYING]."

I got chills just seeing the opening shot when I clicked on the link.

I hadn't seen him in a while, and when I bumped into him I blurted out "Have you seen Children of Men?" It had just done its first premiere, maybe at Cannes? And by asking this, I violate the rule: Never never ask talent or creatives anything about someone's else's project, or previous work of their own.

Anyway, I'm on fan girl express, I blurt what I blurt, and del Toro closes his eyes and says yes. Then he says, "Oh, there's this scene. I don't know how he deeed it. I told heeeem, 'You motherphucker, you show theees to me now?!'"

I love this story.

Ender's Game

Really liked it a lot. Extremely curious to hear from somebody who hasn't read the book, but I think it would be hard to make a much better movie based on the book. The plot flies forward, sometimes to its own detriment, but its determined to get through a shitload of material in <2 hours. Hardly any exposition, including the intro, which just throws you right into the first bullying scenes. They also go pretty far with the ending, which surprised me, and kind of didn't fit with the rest of the film(although it didn't really fit with the book, either) , but should they attempt to make Speaker, most of the set-up is already done. Asa Butterfield, while a few years older than would be ideal, does a great job. A few storylines are cut out (no Demosthenes), but most of the stuff is jammed in there in a good way.

I hope Ender just crushes next year. I really don't want UK and their 19 5-star recruits winning Calipari another title.

Is that really his nickname?

No, but at the same time, how can it not be?

From an excellent Rany Jazayerli article about Ender's Game:

Not to be confused with Andrew Wiggins, the Kansas Jayhawks freshman who was the no. 1 college basketball recruit in the country, and who makes his college regular-season debut exactly one week after the movie is released. I have no idea why his nickname isn't "Ender" already.

(http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9909314/ender-game-controversial-author-very-personal-history)

From an excellent Rany Jazayerli article about Ender's Game:

Not to be confused with Andrew Wiggins, the Kansas Jayhawks freshman who was the no. 1 college basketball recruit in the country, and who makes his college regular-season debut exactly one week after the movie is released. I have no idea why his nickname isn't "Ender" already.

(http://www.grantland...ersonal-history)

Ender?

Just saying.