Just saw zero dark 30.

Re: Torture

I can see how people can make the argument that the movie is pro torture. I wouldn't say that, exactly. What what the movie does, is argue that torture is useful, something that anti-torture advocates would argue that it isn't. But, what the movie also does is show torture's cost. Show's how utterly immoral (or at least, amoral) it is. Shows the costs on the humans who undergo it, and the ones who administer it. It's up to us to decide if the benefits out weigh the costs.

Totally agree. I think too many people didn't see it because they thought it was this propaganda film and a celebration of Bin Laden's death, but the thing that stuck with me the most was the question, "was it worth it?"

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

The Town

While I saw this movie a while back, I saw it again the other day and I must say it's just as entertaining as I remembered. I feel like I need to see Argo next.

prometheus: what a raging, festering piece of shit. god, this one of the best looking worst movies I have ever seen. absolutely infuriatingly bad.

idris elba was awesome in it though. only redeeming quality.

I think that's what make me so mad about it. the acting was great (idris, fassbender, though no dick shots), the visuals were awesome, and it had a general great base for being a really good movie. but they just didn't explain any of the characters motivations or why things happened, and that's king of important. why did the alien in the beginning kill himself? why did fassbender infect that scientist dude? and then be nice at other times? why the fucking fuck did they get guy pearce to play an old dude???? just hire an old actor jesus christ!

on another note though, I watched another movie saturday night that gave me the exact opposite reaction: hick. had put this in the queue for reasons unknown and I forgot to update it before my last shipment so it came anyways and I decided to give it a shot. right before it started I rotten tomatoed it and saw a 5% rating from critics and almost turned it off right then. decided what the hell and watched it anyways and I gotta tell you, it was pretty good. I mean it wasn't perfect by any means, but the story was interesting and the acting was pretty good. I liked it, and a hell of a lot more than most people apparently. who knows.

here I'm gonna show you a blank screen for an hour and a half and call it moby dick. then just go read the book moby dick and it'll explain everything. AWESOME MOVIE HUH

edit: I am irrationally angry over this prometheus movie.

• Like 1

why did fassbender infect that scientist dude? why the fucking fuck did they get guy pearce to play an old dude???? just hire an old actor jesus christ!

Both of these questions have the same answer. Sort of.

One of the deleted scenes was David talking to Guy Pearce as a 40 year old where it is made clear that Pearce expects David to do whatever he can to get him what he wants. David infects the scientist because he's using him to see if this black goo might be useful in curing super old Guy Pearce.

I don't know what the deal was with the opening scene though.

Edit: I mean, his death is what creates life. But I don't know what his motivation was.