Shake, every ten years Sight and Sound magazine polls a bunch of movie critics and directors for the best movies of all-time. Citizen Kane had been on the top since 1952, but this year it was replaced by Vertigo.1. "Vertigo"2. "Citizen Kane"3. "Tokyo Story"4. "The Rules of the Game"5. "Sunrise"6. "2001: A Space Odyssey"7. "The Searchers"8. "Man With a Movie Camera"9. "The Passion of Joan of Arc"10. "8 1/2"
I don't get this. I love movies. I took a film class in college. These movies for the most part are not good. I would not choose any of these over what we could watch in the last 30 years.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I don't get this. I love movies. I took a film class in college. These movies for the most part are not good. I would not choose any of these over what we could watch in the last 30 years.
Well, I'm no film critic, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I'm looking for the Dislike This button.
  • Like 1
Marley And Me: I've never read the book so I can't compare it but I had two thoughts.1 - Jennifer Anniston's nipples must get tired from all the standing at attention they do.

2 - Just when I thought I was done at the end, they sprang the funeral on me. No fair!

With all due respect, this is pure gold.And all hail, JA's nips.

MiseryNever actually saw this movie before and we watched it last night on netflix. It was awesome, from creepy to random funny moments throughout it was a good watch. Very quote-worthy as well.

Sleepwalk With Me

Comedian Mike Birbiglia's new movie. It's good, and I was surprised, it's a movie.

Most of the movie is acted, with some stand up bits. Lots of cameos, and one direct homage/wink to Mitch Hedberg. This movie has heart, and is funny and smart. I really liked it.

The screening I went to had a brief Q&A with Mike Birbiglia. The questions were just alright, and everyone was giggly and excited when Jeff Garlin asked a question from the audience. He went on and on, and his point was to thank Mike for making comedy that was smart and heart felt, and not cynical. His point was true, but isn't most of the big money in Garlin's pocket from a cynical sense of humor?

• 2 weeks later...

Beauty is Embarrassing

It's a documentary about Wayne White, an artist, art director, and puppeteer. He was instrumental in PeeWee's Playhouse, Beakman's World, and lots of other projects. Wayne is originally from the South (Tennessee?) and from a small town. He talks about his chronological journey (small town>college>NYC>LA), his familial journey, and his changing artistic pursuits. His wife is Mimi Pond, cartoonist, and writer of the first episode of The Simpsons. He's surrounded himself with artistic, talented, productive people. He knows what it is to work for money, and to step back from it.

This is my favorite movie of the year--more than Beasts of the Southern Wild, more than The Master. I know this doc won't speak to everyone, but this guy just popped off the screen to me, and I really felt like I understood him, and wanted to watch more of this journey. Really really great.

• 2 weeks later...

Looper

It's a good, solid movie. The script was pretty solid, and didn't kill itself with trying to understand everything about time travel. I know this makes me a nerd heretic, but I think learning the rules of odd phenoma boring. Give me Groundhog Day over Inception, every day of the week. I don't care about how elaborate dreams are created, and I don't want to feel like I'm going to be quizzed on my knowledge before I'm allowed to get to the third act.

I didn't know where Looper was going, and it was nicely surprising. My affection for JGL hit its peak about 18 months ago. I think he's a good actor, but his mugging and child star qualities are distracting for me. You pair his "look at me" self, with a deliberate imitation of seasoned ham Bruce Willis, and some odd looking facial prosthetics, and it can be a tough sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Argo

Outstanding. Affleck is really establishing himself as a top notch director. I've loved all 3 of his films.

The tension of the situation is expertly captured. There were some surprisingly funny moments, and the comedy was also very much needed to occasionally cut the tension that built steadily from the truly chilling opening scenes right through to the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Perks of Being a Wallflower

I saw it this weekend, and really liked it a lot. The movie follows some high school kids, and is a love letter to the alternative-with-a-lower-case-a scene.

Emma Watson looks really great, and flirty, but her accent got distracting.

Cloud Atlas...

I know this movie is going to be a colossal flop, and will probably be made fun of akin to water world or something. I can't imagine what the market for this movie is. I can't imagine someone even wanted to make this movie, let alone that it got made. But it is beautiful. Staggeringly beautiful. I'm in awe that this movie got made. With movies I hate, it's very easy for me to articulate why, but movies I love.. it's very hard for me to some times put into words what I love about it. Ebert put it best one time I was reading him, that a great movie exalts the view, and that's what I felt like leaving Cloud Atlas. Amazing. It's so sad a movie like this will never get green lit again.

Cloud Atlas...

I know this movie is going to be a colossal flop, and will probably be made fun of akin to water world or something. I can't imagine what the market for this movie is. I can't imagine someone even wanted to make this movie, let alone that it got made. But it is beautiful. Staggeringly beautiful. I'm in awe that this movie got made. With movies I hate, it's very easy for me to articulate why, but movies I love.. it's very hard for me to some times put into words what I love about it. Ebert put it best one time I was reading him, that a great movie exalts the view, and that's what I felt like leaving Cloud Atlas. Amazing. It's so sad a movie like this will never get green lit again.

Have you read the book?

Just got back from Wreck-It Ralph. Saw it in 3D and it was probably the best 3D I've ever seen. The movie looked great and was visually stunning. Other than that I thought it was pretty boring. It's not a good sign for an animated movie when I spend a significant amount of time trying to figure out who the various voices are, or wondering about foreshadowed plot items and how they might reappear later in the film. All the kids liked it and there were a few laughs but (unlike the preview for Monster Inc 3D, which looks amazing and I can't wait to go see) I wouldn't care if I saw it again.

FLIGHT

Denzel as a troubled airline pilot. As usual his acting was believable and engrossing. The plot drug for me in spots and some of the NTSB action/questions were a little lame. This is really a study of the effects of alcohol and drug addiction on a person and the people who care for them. Don't go expecting an action flick.

Denzel will probably win an Oscar for this but it's the kind of movie that you will enjoy just as much at home on DVD.

PS. An excellent nude scene by a beautiful Latino chick at the beginning is almost worth the price of admission by itself.

Argo

Outstanding. Affleck is really establishing himself as a top notch director. I've loved all 3 of his films.

The tension of the situation is expertly captured. There were some surprisingly funny moments, and the comedy was also very much needed to occasionally cut the tension that built steadily from the truly chilling opening scenes right through to the finish.

I just saw it, and really liked it a lot. The opening sequence had me really tense (surprising, since I knew what the outcome was going to be). This movie also had my favorite old insult

I'm a big fan of your earlier work.