That and the fact he's just not a dramatic actor
I don't know...I think he has it in him. Truman and Sunshine are pretty good proof of that.
Maybe he needs to branch out into a "bad guy" role or two...freshen up that image
It'd be interesting at least. I can totally see him nailing the kind of super creepy bad guy that's clearly evil but so rational about being so that you almost can't fault him for it.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

It'd be interesting at least. I can totally see him nailing the kind of super creepy bad guy that's clearly evil but so rational about being so that you almost can't fault him for it.
Like the doctor in The Human Centipede?Ok, maybe not like that.I watched some biography show on Tom Hanks once and it was talking about how audiences don't like him when he's not a nice guy. Even in Road to Perdition where he's a hit man, he's still a "good" family man.I think Eternal Sunshine love comes more from Charlie Freakin' Kaufman than Jim Carrey's performance (I'm not saying I had an issue with his performance). Also, the only thing I meant by the Tom Hanks career path is someone who starts out doing exclusively comedy and is very good at it and then transitions into dramatic, heavy roles. I'm not suggesting that Will Ferrell is going to win back-to-back Oscars.
Like who?
Maybe not necessarily an evil yet sympathetic character...maybe someone scary in an understated fashion, like Philip Seymour Hoffman in MI3.
I watched some biography show on Tom Hanks once and it was talking about how audiences don't like him when he's not a nice guy. Even in Road to Perdition where he's a hit man, he's still a "good" family man.
I'm not sure I understand where they get this information from...in what movies is he not a nice guy? How would they know that?
Also, the only thing I meant by the Tom Hanks career path is someone who starts out doing exclusively comedy and is very good at it and then transitions into dramatic, heavy roles. I'm not suggesting that Will Ferrell is going to win back-to-back Oscars.
The argument against that is whether or not Ferrell will be good at the dramatic, heavy roles. That's still up in the air.
I'm not sure I understand where they get this information from...in what movies is he not a nice guy? How would they know that?
Bonfire of the Vanities, I think. I've never seen it.
The argument against that is whether or not Ferrell will be good at the dramatic, heavy roles. That's still up in the air.
But...I mean...that was my whole point. I think that he has it in him. It wouldn't be saying much if I said that as he's up on stage giving his acceptance speech for best actor.
oh yeah... that was the hard part to watch. I almost forgot which part that was in the movie.
yeah it was very hard to watch...
I thought James Franco's intelligence really sold it. I always believed he was the type of guy who smart enough, and determined enough to jerry rig his way out. The wrong actor, and the film is terrible. The hardest part for me to watch was the sequences leading up to the accident. Going back to Ron Perlman's face--I mentioned it because I think I know what he looks like. He's Ron Perlman, he's been in tons of stuff. I was really into the movie (Drive) and maybe 40 minutes in, all I could do is stare at him. His big, weird face stretched out across that big screen. I started wondering about genetic disorders, or some sort of accident. His face, it can still surprise.
i actually thought franco gave a great performance.
Loved 127 hours. I liked all of the scenes, it felt very real. Unfortunately it's just one of those movies I only want to watch once. There's zero re-watch value in it for me, so I'll never own it.
same here governator... it's kinda like Taxi Driver for me. Great movie that I have trouble watching. (I'm not saying 127 hours was nearly good as Taxi Driver, just one of those movies you can only watch once or twice. Borat being another one. God that movie was terrible.)
I enjoyed 127 hours also, but I wouldn't say I loved it. And I agree, I wouldn't watch it again. that is not a dig at the movie, which was very well made, I just have no desire to buy the DVD or watch it again.
yep. one of those movies you can only stomach once. lol.
Bonfire of the Vanities, I think. I've never seen it.
I don't think it's fair to base the viewing public's impression of someone as a "bad" character on one movie from 15 (or whatever) years ago.
But...I mean...that was my whole point. I think that he has it in him. It wouldn't be saying much if I said that as he's up on stage giving his acceptance speech for best actor.
Oh. I thought you were just commenting on what Ferrel would have to do to have a Hanksian career, not saying that you think he has it in him. But now I understand that you were, in fact, making both of those statements.
I don't think it's fair to base the viewing public's impression of someone as a "bad" character on one movie from 15 (or whatever) years ago.
Concur.Let's play the Tom Hanks Villain Game!Which bad guy role do you think Tom Hanks would have been great in?Oh wait, you said PSH in MI:3. Was that your final answer or do you want to think on it some more?p.s. I only said The Human Centipede so I could seamlessly segue into talking about The Human Centipede 2. Here's the plot summary:

Martin is a mentally disturbed loner who lives with his mother in a bleak housing project. He works the night shift as a security guard in an equally grim and foreboding underground parking complex. To escape his dreary existence, Martin loses himself in the fantasy world of the cult horror film
The Human Centipede (First Sequence)
, fetishizing the meticulous surgical skills of the gifted Dr. Heiter, whose knowledge of the human gastrointestinal system inspires Martin to attempt the unthinkable.

Everything about The Human Centipede and its sequel makes me laugh, but I will never ever watch it.

Everything about The Human Centipede and its sequel makes me laugh, but I will never ever watch it.
I watched The Human Centipede (First Sequence) and wished I had access to showstopper's double-time feature.

Tom Hanks was the big meanie corporate guy in You've Got Mail playing opposite of the cute as a button independent book store owner Meg Ryan. That's about as evil as Tom Hanks can pull off. For the person who likes bad movies that are unintentionally funny for all the wrong reasons: The RoomFor the person who likes the idea of Mossad agents hunting nazi's, features the wonderful actress Helen Mirren, doesn't mind the movie trying too hard to be "intense", can overlook bad editing and isn't bothered by cinematic slight of hand parlor tricks: The Debt

I watched The Human Centipede (First Sequence) and wished I had access to showstopper's double-time feature.
Nice call-back.
Concur.Let's play the Tom Hanks Villain Game!Which bad guy role do you think Tom Hanks would have been great in?Oh wait, you said PSH in MI:3. Was that your final answer or do you want to think on it some more?
I want to think on it some more.Hmm...Well, I could see him saying, "No more secrets, Mahhty."
I want to think on it some more.Hmm...Well, I could see him saying, "No more secrets, Mahhty."
Norman Bates. Although I suppose he's too old for that role now.I wonder what he would've done with Jack's role in The Departed. Jack should've been perfect for that character, but he was my least favorite part of the movie. Well, besides the girl.
I wonder what he would've done with Jack's role in The Departed. Jack should've been perfect for that character, but he was my least favorite part of the movie. Well, besides the girl.
The girl was terrible, but I think it was the writing, not the actress.As for Jack's role, I think that might be too far...unless you get rid of some of the coke snorting and hooker banging scenes. He needs to be broken in as a bad guy.

But it's like Gretchen Mol (I think) in Rounders. She's written to be a huge downer...I feel like it's almost a positive thing to dislike her.Whatever, the chick in The Departed looked good in the Comfortably Numb scene, so she's ok by me.

As for Jack's role, I think that might be too far...unless you get rid of some of the coke snorting and hooker banging scenes. He needs to be broken in as a bad guy.
Which proves that audiences don't buy him as a bad guy. Bam, full circle.I've been doing some movie villain research and it seems like the roles I can see Hanks pull off are Kevin Spacey roles: Seven, Usual Suspects.I also saw someone mention Little Bill from Unforgiven as a great movie villain. Is...is he a villain?
Which proves that audiences don't buy him as a bad guy. Bam, full circle.
No. Well, maybe. I don't know.
I've been doing some movie villain research and it seems like the roles I can see Hanks pull off are Kevin Spacey roles: Seven, Usual Suspects.
Yeah, see, it has to be an understated, mild mannered villain, like Spacey's Lex Luthor.
Yeah, see, it has to be an understated, mild mannered villain, like Spacey's Lex Luthor.
But do you think that character needed to ham it up like Jack did? Couldn't he be the cold, calculating Godfather type?I think the answer is no.

I think Gretchen Mol is unbearable in Rounders and everything else she has ever done.