• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I own well over 200 DVDs. For the amount that I watch them, it is probably a complete waste of money, but I've always been a bit of a collector, and unlike other things in my life that I've collected over the years, movies are the one thing that aren't a passing phase, and I'll never grow out of. I pretty much buy any movie that I would actually want to watch for a second time. So, pretty much only movies that I really liked.

Courageous.The same dudes that directed Fireproof, which despite it's terrible technical aspects, I enjoyed, directed this one also.They are starting to get a lot better at the technical parts of the movies they make for dirt cheap. This was quite a bit more polished than Fireproof.I enjoyed it, as expected. It's a good movie for dads to watch, even if they aren't religious. For instance, I could even see Randy being able to ignore the religious aspect and focus on the being a good dad aspect.

Last movie I bought was Inception. There are very few movies that I want to watch more than once, but this is one of them. I understand buying movies for collections though. I also have bought tons of comedies for entertaining people when I have them over. Superbad is definitely a people pleaser. Role Models also. I really really like Role Models for some reason. I love the ending.

So glad I didn't let you guys get me to spend the $10 and see Drive in the theatre...what a bizarre and misleadingly marketed movie. I can almost see the point of view of the guy who is suing over this movie not being anything like what it was advertised to be.

The movies I buy usually get re-watched by me once a year and then sometimes again to show someone who hasn't seen it. It's satisfying to me when I own a movie I think is excellent that a friend hasn't seen. It's fun to throw it on and then get their opinions afterwards.Most movies that I own and rewatch are longer, epic movies, often war, history, sci fi movies. Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, LOTR, etc. There's often so much too them that they feel fresh watching time & again. Also, now that I have an HD projector and working on the 10' screen blurays are my #1 purchase now. In fact after testing I'm going to end up re-buying some of my DVDs in BD specifically for the home cinema. It's worth doing some research before hand though, for example: 28 Days Later (one of my fav) was filmed with a standard definition camcorder (Canon XL) for it's grainy feel so the DVD copy of it is pretty much the same video quality you'd get with the bluray version regardless.

Everything Must Go -- I liked it, but I was predisposed for that reaction because one of my favorite movie of all time (Stranger Than Fiction) is also about a character played by Will Ferrel who is going through life changes. Though this movie was a lot heavier...it has a few funny moments, but it's certainly not a comedy by any stretch of the imagination. Worth a watching if you're in a sort of melancholy mood though.

Aren't you used to his bizarre taste in movies by this point? The funny thing is I bet he would have liked it if he had the "correct" expectations going in. Personally, I absolutely love being surprised by a movie.
The funny thing is I bet he would have liked it if he had the "correct" expectations going in.
Hey now, let's be fair...if it was correctly advertised I never would have watched it to begin with.
I really really like Role Models for some reason. I love the ending.
Love take me down, to the streets!127 Hours was really good. Danny Boyle has great taste in music. As if the ending to that story isn't cathartic enough, he has to go and make it all perfect by blaring Sigur Ros...

I liked Stranger Than Fiction too. I've been meaning to see Everything Must Go, but I haven't been feeling very melancholy. I think Will Ferrell is a good actor. I don't think he can have a Tom Hanks career, but certainly better than Jim Carrey's non-comedy attempts (although I do end up watching The Truman Show whenever it's on).

I love The Truman Show. Plus, Eternal Sunshine is fantastic.I'd say he has the slight edge over Adam Sandler (Funny people, Punch Drunk Love, Reign over Me) in the Goofy Comedian in a serious role competition.

I love Eternal Sunshine. That would actually be one of the 300 DVD's that I own. I guess it was an oversight that I didn't mention it? I still think Will Ferrell has a better chance at the Tom Hanks career path than Jim Carrey.

Niether of those guys will have a Tom Hanks career. Even Tom Hanks is having trouble living up to that right now. The Insufferable Robert Langdon leaps to mind. And to think we'll likely have to endure The Lost Symbol in movie form. The book was laughable, if rather enjoyable in a pulpy way. But I found myself casting the movie in my head.Dan Brown is this decade's John Grisham. For good or bad.And Eternal Sunshine far outstrips Stranger Than Fiction as a movie in every facet. Not that STF was a bad movie. Rather, Eternal really is THAT much better.

I still think Will Ferrell has a better chance at the Tom Hanks career path than Jim Carrey.
Clearly. Carrey's chance passed when there was no solid follow-up to Eternal Sunshine.
Even Tom Hanks is having trouble living up to that right now.
Nah. He's just past his prime, which happens. Not quite the same thing.
And Eternal Sunshine far outstrips Stranger Than Fiction as a movie in every facet. Not that STF was a bad movie. Rather, Eternal really is THAT much better.
STF is funnier. Funny is a facet.
Clearly. Carrey's chance passed when there was no solid follow-up to Eternal Sunshine.That and the fact he's just not a dramatic actorNah. He's just past his prime, which happens. Not quite the same thing. Maybe he needs to branch out into a "bad guy" role or two...freshen up that imageSTF is funnier. Funny is a facet.Fair enough. Any funny in Eternal is sad and somewhat bitter. Two different genres, but vaguely similar meta-concepts

halfway through somewhere. blurb had it as a comedy/drama. bahstids better start being funny. the long, meditative shots don't work so much when the characters have no character, thus making the drama merely directorial navel-gazing. guess i should watch the rest. pretty sure i'll be disappointed.well, if i'm expecting disappointment then i won't be disappointed, right? i'll have to be like, 'fuck yeah, disappointment!'