So I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade last night - it's probably the best action movie ever made. It's just amazing. Does anybody think this could happen: A major director or producer will eschew computer-generated action and in exchange make an entire big-budget picture with no CGI, and use that as a selling point. 'No CGI! All real stunts and real camerawork! In 2D!' Or is that just totally wishful thinking?
Maybe, but since companies are now making televisions that give you the 3D effect at home, the big movie folks are probably being forced to make more 3D movies.Hopefully it's just a trend and will die out in the future.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Yeah it's not even the 3D thing that bothers me, I just think it would be interesting and possibly extremely awesome for somebody to make a very-big-budget action film with zero CGI, like in the old days (when action films used to have amazingly memorable characters).

The TownC+Dumb ending
I disagree. I liked it, including the ending. It was not oscarworthy or anything, but I felt like it was worth the price of a movie ticket.I have a couple Ben Affleck questions though. Where is he from? I would never know what city he is from because he isn't in enough movies that show off his hometown. I'm also really curious to hear about which baseball team Ben roots for. For some reason I think he might really like baseball. He should show more baseball stuff in his movies. Can someone help me out with this, I just feel like I need to know more about this man.
The Town BIt's a good, solid movie. Affleck gives a good sense of place.

I found the plot to be a little generic, and I wanted to trim some of the story. Blake Lively doesn't bring anything special to the role. I didn't believe Claire would stay involved with Doug MacCray after the FBI exposes him. She looks like a middle class girl, having the rough equivalent of a summer fling after a traumatic experience. I didn't believe her feelings for MacCray were so strong, that she would stay involved with this guy. Also, I wanted the note with the money to say something like "Dear Claire, I'm sorry. Here's some money. Love, Doug. PS You might want to launder this before use."

I agree with everything said in the above review.

Blake Lively is hot, that is the only reason I liked her in the movie. Along the lines with you not believing Claire, I didn't believe a lot of the stuff especially towards the end. Even though MacCray was about to leave Blake Lively's character for another woman, I don't think she would have given him or her brother up. Especially after they talk so much about not giving each other up. Also, there is no way Ben makes it out of that situation at the end. Yeah it is an action movie and things in movies won't happen in real life, but I found myself chuckling when he just walked out. Even though a lot of the stuff wasn't believable, I thought it was just a really entertaining movie.I think I also wanted to see more from the cops. They just seemed to find things out so easily. I guess more stakeout and investigation stuff

I'll be a little traitor and post this about The Town

your last point is very correct. rarely do we say "this movie needed another twenty minutes" but it sure would've been better with it. I think the most disappointing thing about the movie was it was billed as "the movie of the year" but it certainly was not (unless we've got a really crappy year). very entertaining thoughI think the whole "we never give each other up"/rick roll thing was supposed to be a bit of irony since dude's sister ended up doing just that. also it wasn't like she was part of that conversation. she's just the "weak link"

The Thin Red Line. Did not like.
Really? I think that movie is great. A bit slow at times but a great story nonetheless.I watched Road to Perdition yesterday (Tom Hanks movie). Was excellent.
Really? I think that movie is great. A bit slow at times but a great story nonetheless.I watched Road to Perdition yesterday (Tom Hanks movie). Was excellent.
Forgot about road to Perdition. I remember thinking it was fantastic when I watched it for the first time.

I just watched "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". What do y'all think of it? I sure love Paul Newman in anything. The Bacharach soundtrack kinda detracted from the film a little in my opinion. I was impressed with the cinematography at first (the first scene with Newman in the bank), but then the style kept changing throughout which made the whole film feel a bit inconsistent for me. I enjoyed the corny dialogue because the chemistry between Newman and Redford made it work. The general plot kept me entertained, though the character of Etta Place was a forgotten subplot for most of the time - they could have done more with her, rather than leaving her out whenever it was convenient. Overall I definitely enjoyed and would rewatch but there is room for improvement, so I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 for now. I'd like to hear some other opinions.Also watched a few other Newman films this week: Hud (4.5) and Hombre (4) though I missed the start of both. He sure knew how to pick a role.

I sure love Paul Newman in anything.
Cool Hand Luke!I saw Butch Cassidy maybe 15 years ago. I remember I liked it, but couldn't really talk about it in much detail.Also: The Hustler and The Sting, of course.
It's slow at almost all times.
If you went in hoping for something like Saving Private Ryan you would've been taken for. I for one thought it was cool to see the effects of war on the soldiers themselves. It's a love it or hate it movie.
The Thin Red Line. Did not like.
Agreed. Like I really want to sit there and watch 45 minutes of a forest scene with Parrots. It's all right though, the family walked out of the premiere they hated it so much.
I just watched "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". What do y'all think of it? I sure love Paul Newman in anything. The Bacharach soundtrack kinda detracted from the film a little in my opinion. I was impressed with the cinematography at first (the first scene with Newman in the bank), but then the style kept changing throughout which made the whole film feel a bit inconsistent for me. I enjoyed the corny dialogue because the chemistry between Newman and Redford made it work. The general plot kept me entertained, though the character of Etta Place was a forgotten subplot for most of the time - they could have done more with her, rather than leaving her out whenever it was convenient. Overall I definitely enjoyed and would rewatch but there is room for improvement, so I'm giving it a 4 out of 5 for now. I'd like to hear some other opinions.Also watched a few other Newman films this week: Hud (4.5) and Hombre (4) though I missed the start of both. He sure knew how to pick a role.
Who would you cast in a remake?
Cool Hand Luke!I saw Butch Cassidy maybe 15 years ago. I remember I liked it, but couldn't really talk about it in much detail.Also: The Hustler and The Sting, of course.
Newman is the dude in Cool Hand Luke!

You Again C-Dear Kristen Bell,I loved Veronica Mars. I went fangirl crazy for it. I loved you in Party Down. You have bad, bad taste in movies--Forgetting Sarah Marshall was a fluke, right? Only appear on television from now on. You make it difficult to love you.Let Me In A-/B+Really good remake of a very good film. If you haven't seen the Swedish Let the Right One In, try to avoid any information about this movie.Regarding the general story line:

I loved how quiet this movie is. Is solitude and silence the best way to show a confident film maker? There are moments of gore and violence, but what I think these movies are really about is the tender friendship between the kids, and the painful moments of family members changing their roles.

Specifically about the 2010 movie:

The characters stay struggling and working class. It's lovely the way the accept it (like most of us do) and don't constantly rail against their lot in life. The movie itself is gorgeous. The DP is Greig Fraser, the same guy who did Bright Star. His choices give this world a beautiful, incandescent glow. I was a little disappointed the relationship between the old man and the Abby was made more explicit. After I saw the original, I liked it, and then a few days later had the realization the boy would become her new handler. I feel like the photobooth pictures take away this moment of gentle revelation.

• 2 weeks later...
hah, just watched Cool Hand Luke last night. Awesome movie.

Memento. meh.I need to start seeing these movies right when they come out. The expectations are simply too much. The major plot twist ending is that he tricked himself into killing Terry? Really? Ok. Also, at any point do we actually find out who killed and raped his wife? It's possible I missed it. Sammy's wife had him kill her because she wanted to test him? Really?