On the new Fast & the Furious dvd, there's a short film, which a believe is a prequel to the movie. And it's written and directed by Vin Diesel. It's just as unintentionally funny as you think it would be.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I used to be on the Netflix 6 w/bluray. When the economy tanked and I realized I should tighten my belt. So I went down to the Netflix 4 w/bluray. Netflix then decided to increase the cost of the bluray fee by over 100% and I took that off my account too. This was the only change I made to my spending. I'm really bad with budgets. Now, Netflix is randomly sending me 5 movies from my queue and I have to send 2 movies back before they will send the next selection from my list. I have no idea why they're doing this. Are they trying to keep their inventory turning over in all the hubs for some reason? Are they trying to hook me back into a more expensive plan?I have no idea but I'm about to go back to the bluray option. MadMen/everything is better on Bluray.

A few months ago, I claimed Woody Allen is totally overrated as a director, writer and a comedic actor. Several people disagreed and I think IQ said I had to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona before giving up on all of Woody's movies forever. Good call IQ. Even though the narration was hacky the story and acting made up for it in spades. Scarlett Johansson was actually decent in this movie. After Match Point and Scoop, I had my doubts. I still think Woody Allen is really overrated, but VCB is a good film.
I cannot stand Woody Allen on screen and some of the nebbish dialogue he confected drove me crazy. But...I did like Vicky a LOT and it was largely due to the charismatic trio of leads in the film (Penelope Cruz is a much better actress than people give her credit for; Scarlett is just plain hot and Javier Bardem is a bona fide star).
I cannot stand Woody Allen on screen and some of the nebbish dialogue he confected drove me crazy. But...I did like Vicky a LOT and it was largely due to the charismatic trio of leads in the film (Penelope Cruz is a much better actress than people give her credit for; Scarlett is just plain hot and Javier Bardem is a bona fide star).
I'm going to defend Woody Allen briefly. Caveat--if you're not a Woody Allen fan, odds are you're never going to be one. He makes a lot of films, following similar themes. If you don't like Annie Hall, he's just not for you.I love the way he portrays the wealthy classes. His rich people are all very rich, with the carelessness of old money. Most of the movies I see, portray wealthy living ala gated communities, people feeding their careers, and chasing after the nuclear family. Woody Allen reminds me of the idle rich, balancing their stresses. Stress being a European sojourn, whilst nailing the hottest people on the planet. Sign me up.Dude makes a lot of movies, and he knows how to shoot a city. His films look like gorgeous travelogues, and he puts a movie out every 12-15 months. That's a ton of work, and he's been doing it since 1965 (he was working in television in the 1950's). I'm working class enough for that to really impress me.Hannah & Her Sisters is a great, great movie. It has one of my favorite lines of all time in it, and I repeat it inappropriately. "If Jesus Christ came back and saw the atrocities that people were perpetrating in his name he'd throw up!" (I can't sell it properly, it need Max Von Sydow's touch.)A bad Woody Allen movie is terrible, but I think he's made a lot of great, interesting ones.
Sports Guy's Best Movie Drama of the Decade pollNominees:Almost Famous (2000) Brokeback Mountain (2005) Cast Away (2000) The Dark Knight (2008) The Departed (2006) Gladiator (2000) Lord of the Rings (2001) No Country For Old Men (2007) How would you rank these?(Note that his criteria is excellence, originality, and rewatchability)(I don't see how The Departed, Lord of the Rings, and The Dark Knight are nominated if originality is one of the three criteria.)(Actually, you know what, forget originality. Let's just go with excellence and rewatchability.)My rankings:1. No Country for Old Men2. Lord of the Rings3. The Dark Knight4. Almost Famous5. Cast Away6. Gladiator7. The DepartedI never saw Brokeback Mountain.I haven't really thought of what other movies should be on the list.

That's a horrible, horrible selection of movies to rank. Not that they're all horrible movies, but I don't understand how The Dark Knight, Gladiator, and Lord of the Rings qualify as dramas. All 3 of them are action/adventure. A few dramas off the top of my head which I would expect to be on this list: There Will Be Blood, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Slumdog Millionaire.

Sports Guy's Best Movie Drama of the Decade pollNominees:Almost Famous (2000) Brokeback Mountain (2005) Cast Away (2000) The Dark Knight (2008) The Departed (2006) Gladiator (2000) Lord of the Rings (2001) No Country For Old Men (2007) How would you rank these?(Note that his criteria is excellence, originality, and rewatchability)(I don't see how The Departed, Lord of the Rings, and The Dark Knight are nominated if originality is one of the three criteria.)(Actually, you know what, forget originality. Let's just go with excellence and rewatchability.)My rankings:1. No Country for Old Men2. Lord of the Rings3. The Dark Knight4. Almost Famous5. Cast Away6. Gladiator7. The DepartedI never saw Brokeback Mountain.I haven't really thought of what other movies should be on the list.
That's a horrible, horrible selection of movies to rank. Not that they're all horrible movies, but I don't understand how The Dark Knight, Gladiator, and Lord of the Rings qualify as dramas. All 3 of them are action/adventure. A few dramas off the top of my head which I would expect to be on this list: There Will Be Blood, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Slumdog Millionaire.
Yes...some really stupid choices, but then what can we really expect from a person who calls himself "Sports Guy".Cast Away was a Hallmark card of a movie. Watchable for one reason: Tom Hanks. It would not be missed if it had never been madeAlmost Famous is one of the most overrated ego trips I can think of. There are some terrific elements of storytelling, but most of it is Cameron Crowe boasting about how awesome his youth was. The emotional touchstones just didn't resonate for me.Gladiator. Meh...I like Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe, but this was a fairly lame story, propped up by some scene chewing by the stars and some nice gritty portrayals of Rome. The opening battle scene was fckn epic, however.Dark Knight was too long but it was rather good, although not in the same class as:I loved Departed, No Country and LOTR, but even I wouldn't put LOTR up there. Departed showed me what a truly great actor DiCaprio is and No Country really worked for me.I'd put Rachel Getting Married, There Will Be Blood up there. Other candidates, for me, would be Letters From Iwo Jima, the underrated Zodiac, the terrific twosome from Charlie Kaufman of Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation, About Schmidt and Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon.

I think what you guys are missing, and this might have to do with the fact that I didn't mention it, is that he's approaching this from a pop culture perspective, not a film perspective.

I think what you guys are missing, and this might have to do with the fact that I didn't mention it, is that he's approaching this from a pop culture perspective, not a film perspective.
Maybe so, but he still fails. Sic Transit Zeitgeist, as they say.
I know one thing... I've lost some respect for the sports guy. At least he got NCFOM correct.
I'm going to defend Woody Allen briefly. Caveat--if you're not a Woody Allen fan, odds are you're never going to be one. He makes a lot of films, following similar themes. If you don't like Annie Hall, he's just not for you.I love the way he portrays the wealthy classes. His rich people are all very rich, with the carelessness of old money. Most of the movies I see, portray wealthy living ala gated communities, people feeding their careers, and chasing after the nuclear family. Woody Allen reminds me of the idle rich, balancing their stresses. Stress being a European sojourn, whilst nailing the hottest people on the planet. Sign me up.Dude makes a lot of movies, and he knows how to shoot a city. His films look like gorgeous travelogues, and he puts a movie out every 12-15 months. That's a ton of work, and he's been doing it since 1965 (he was working in television in the 1950's). I'm working class enough for that to really impress me.Hannah & Her Sisters is a great, great movie. It has one of my favorite lines of all time in it, and I repeat it inappropriately. "If Jesus Christ came back and saw the atrocities that people were perpetrating in his name he'd throw up!" (I can't sell it properly, it need Max Von Sydow's touch.)A bad Woody Allen movie is terrible, but I think he's made a lot of great, interesting ones.
I thought you weren't chatty, you SofaB!
Adaptation, Spotless mind, and Syn., NY would be all on my top 10 of the decade.
You're such a fanboy.
Rachel Getting MarriedExcellent drama with none of the tension easing comedy we've all come to expect from Hollywood. All scenes were played very naturally and there were no snappy "exit lines" or quick cuts, just long lingering examinations of the complicated interactions between family members who process things differently and have their own emotional pecking order.Deft, nuanced direction by Jonathan Demme creates a truly realistic portrayal of a family coming to terms with some harsh truths.Excellent performances by the entire cast, although Anne Hathaway was particularly good, playing a complicated and demanding drug addict with a past...9/10
I also really liked the direction of the movie, but the movie didn’t stick with me. I mean, I can’t really disagree with anything you said here, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it again.On the other hand, a movie like The Visitor has a similar feel to it, great performances, etc., and I was thinking about that movie for days after.I guess what I’m saying is The Visitor > Rachel Getting Married.
I also really liked the direction of the movie, but the movie didn’t stick with me. I mean, I can’t really disagree with anything you said here, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it again.On the other hand, a movie like The Visitor has a similar feel to it, great performances, etc., and I was thinking about that movie for days after.I guess what I’m saying is The Visitor > Rachel Getting Married.
I liked the Visitor, too, but I found it's pretty lightweight, all things considered. The core issues were too far removed from me, personally speaking. I can totally relate to resentful families dealing with addiction and compromise, but the refugee crisis and finding someone living in my apartment are too distant. I like Richard Jenkins, esp from Six Feet Under. He was also in Burn Before Reading. The lead immigrant dude is now in Nurse Jackie, so there's definitely some solid acting cred.I would simply flip the arrow around the other way, mainly due to personal preference.

S. Darko. I probably should have watched Donnie Darko first, but my wife switched up the order on Netflix. This movie made no goddamn sense.It was like 4 or 5 story lines that ended without any explanation. It was frustrating.

The core issues were...the refugee crisis and finding someone living in my apartment.
I would argue against those being the core issues. The issue is being stuck in an emotionless rut and breaking free from it. The deportation and apartment strangers were vehicles to showcase the characters' emotions and relationships and how they change, etc., etc. But, sure, probably more personal preference than anything else. I don't relate to resentful families with addiction issues, so that's probably why it didn't resonate with me. Still, I would recommend to others that they see both movies. p.s. I found the mom in The Visitor to be just...beautiful. She's like 50 years old, but I was mesmerized by her.
I would argue against those being the core issues. The issue is being stuck in an emotionless rut and breaking free from it. The deportation and apartment strangers were vehicles to showcase the characters' emotions and relationships and how they change, etc., etc. But, sure, probably more personal preference than anything else. I don't relate to resentful families with addiction issues, so that's probably why it didn't resonate with me. Still, I would recommend to others that they see both movies. p.s. I found the mom in The Visitor to be just...beautiful. She's like 50 years old, but I was mesmerized by her.
Quite right. I just singled out the ones that didn't do it for me, but alienation and lack of communication and understanding and how to find ways to overcome those are themes everyone encounters. Let me reiterate that I enjoyed The Visitor and I give it a 7/10.And, lest anyone misinterpret my words, the underlying themes regarding deportation of refugees and the situation in the Middle East are very important.
I've read the idea of awarding the Oscars 10 years after the movie is released in the theater. I think it's an interesting, if unworkable idea.My three most influential movies?City of GodGrizzly ManIncrediblesAnd maybe a category of foreign horrorPulseLet the Right One InThey Came Back (not a great movie, but looks so great, and some of the ideas linger)