I dont know for sure, but it had to be to late. No freakin way it goes without a nomination for Best Picture, Director, and Actor. At least not in a rational world.
It had a nomination at the golden globes for best song. So if it was up for that then it could have been up for others but I don't remember seeing it.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Try Vicky Christina Barcelona. I hated Scoop and enjoyed VCB considerably. It's not your typical Woody Allen flick, but it has a lot of his charms and the movie's message is true Woody.
Great. Last night I swore I would never watch another WA flick but now I have VCB in my queue. If I don't like this movie, not only am I going to hunt you down, but I'm going to hunt down all your Netflix friends as well and give every one of you a taste of torture.

Cashback. I'm not sure if I recommend this movie or not, it had really great points in the movie and some that just sucked.I suppose if you like British movies and alot of boobs and some vagina, then sure go for it.

Cashback. I'm not sure if I recommend this movie or not, it had really great points in the movie and some that just sucked.I suppose if you like British movies and alot of boobs and some vagina, then sure go for it.
You forgot to mention that the boobs and vagina frequently belong to Keeley Hazell. It was actually a very good movie on top of the visual accoutrement.
Anyway, it simply doesn't hold a candle to Traffic. City of God basically is a hopeless movie with a hopeless ending. The violence never stops and no one cares or tries to stop it.
I think this is one of the reasons I love City of God, on top of it being beautifully shot and the amazing cast of characters.It's probably one of my favorite movies ever.
It had a nomination at the golden globes for best song. So if it was up for that then it could have been up for others but I don't remember seeing it.
Maybe the song was out before the movie? Or something, because I just cant believe that they wouldnt nominate it for any of those three categories.
Great. Last night I swore I would never watch another WA flick but now I have VCB in my queue. If I don't like this movie, not only am I going to hunt you down, but I'm going to hunt down all your Netflix friends as well and give every one of you a taste of torture.
Shit I am on his friends list!!
Maybe the song was out before the movie? Or something, because I just cant believe that they wouldnt nominate it for any of those three categories.
http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ive-out-awards/This makes it sound like it was not actually nominated for anything but the song.
From what I've heard, there's a lesbian scene between Scarlett Johanson and Penelope Cruz, so really, if all else fails, you'll have that. I mean, I watched Wild Things for much less than that.

Golden Globe Nominations (winner in bold)Drama: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon," "The Reader," "Revolutionary Road" and "Slumdog Millionaire."Comedy or musical: "Burn After Reading," "Happy-Go-Lucky," "In Bruges," "Mamma Mia!" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."Director: Danny Boyle ("Slumdog Millionaire"), Stephen Daldry ("The Reader"), David Fincher ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), Ron Howard ("Frost/Nixon") and Sam Mendes ("Revolutionary Road").Actor in a drama: Leonardo DiCaprio ("Revolutionary Road"), Frank Langella ("Frost/Nixon"), Sean Penn ("Milk"), Brad Pitt ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") and Mickey Rourke ("The Wrestler").Actress in a drama: Anne Hathaway ("Rachel Getting Married"), Angelina Jolie ("Changeling"), Meryl Streep ("Doubt"), Kristin Scott Thomas ("I've Loved You Too Long") and Kate Winslet ("Revolutionary Road").Actor in a comedy or musical: Javier Bardem ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Colin Farrell ("In Bruges"), James Franco ("Pineapple Express"), Brendan Gleeson ("In Bruges") and Dustin Hoffman ("Last Chance Harvey").Actress in a comedy or musical: Rebecca Hall ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Sally Hawkins ("Happy-Go-Lucky"), Frances McDormand ("Burn After Reading"), Meryl Streep ("Mamma Mia!") and Emma Thompson ("Last Chance Harvey").Supporting actor: Tom Cruise ("Tropic Thunder"), Robert Downey Jr. ("Tropic Thunder"), Ralph Fiennes ("The Duchess"), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Doubt") and Heath Ledger ("The Dark Knight").Supporting actress: Amy Adams ("Doubt"), Penelope Cruz ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Viola Davis ("Doubt"), Marisa Tomei ("The Wrestler") and Kate Winslet ("The Reader").Animated film: "Bolt," "Kung Fu Panda" and "Wall-E."Screenplay: Simon Beaufoy ("Slumdog Millionaire"), David Hare ("The Reader"), Peter Morgan ("Frost/Nixon"), Eric Roth ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") and John Patrick Shanley ("Doubt").Foreign-language film: "Gomorrah," "I've Loved You So Long," "Waltz with Bashir," "The Baader Meinhof Complex,: and "Everlasting Moments."Original score: James Newton Howard ("Defiance"), Alexandre Desplat ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), A. R. Rahman ("Slumdog Millionaire"), Hans Zimmer ("Frost/Nixon") and Clint Eastwood ("Changeling").Original song: "Down to Earth" from "Wall-E," "Gran Torino" from "Gran Torino," "I Thought I'd Lost You" from "Bolt," "Once in a Lifetime" from "Cadillac Records" and "The Wrestler" from "The Wrestler."

Scoop and it was simply awful. I don't know why I keep giving Woody Allen movies a chance since they always disappoint. Scarlett Johansson was nice to look at but her acting was way off in this movie. It takes a certain kind of character portrayal to deliver the Allen-esque lines and she certainly didn't deliver.
Huh, I thought Scoop was funny. A lot of Allen's newer movies have been lousy, but have you seen any of his classic ones? Manhattan, Play it Again Sam, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Hannah & Her Sisters I would all recommend highly. If you haven't seen any of those then you're not judging him on his best films. And if you don't like those then you probably won't like anything of his.
I dont know for sure, but it had to be to late. No freakin way it goes without a nomination for Best Picture, Director, and Actor. At least not in a rational world.
Apparently the Golden Globe nominations and winners are all paid for by the studios and have very little effect on the Oscars. So Gran Torino should see a lot more love on Jan 22.Read this about the Golden Globes ... http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/live...-golden-globes/
I like how well slumdog millionare did.. that's going to drive up the odds of Ben Button to win best picture ( which is a lock IMO)
WHAT!?!? There is NO way in hell that will happen!
Huh, I thought Scoop was funny. A lot of Allen's newer movies have been lousy, but have you seen any of his classic ones? Manhattan, Play it Again Sam, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Hannah & Her Sisters I would all recommend highly. If you haven't seen any of those then you're not judging him on his best films. And if you don't like those then you probably won't like anything of his.
Annie Hall?
WHAT!?!? There is NO way in hell that will happen!
well, quote me some odds then... To Tim's list, I would add "Annie Hall" "bananas" " The sleeper" and "Everything you wanted to know about sex but were afriad to ask"
After googling this and 20 minutes later, I am going to have to see this movie, and I don't even care what it is about.
I took it a step further; after googling her AND watching her sex tape, I'm interested in seeing the movie. :club:
Yea well, you like baseball. The only WA movie worth watching is Sleeper. It's probably because I was pretty young (10?) when I first saw the movie. I still look at that cool house from the movie every time I'm driving on I-70 east of Denver. I was way too young to appreciate Everything....Sex.....Ask and it was over my head. Maybe I'll watch it again someday and curse WA once again. I've actually watched Crimes & Misdemeanors and Manhattan recently. C&M wasn't unwatchable like Scoop. The cast was fantastic but it's still a pretty shitty movie. Manhattan was just bad, like really really bad. The beginning is classic masturbatory Woody fuckin Allen when he's doing a voice over and starts, stops, rewrites and changes his "novel", awful. Nothing about the characters or situations were believable even with the willing suspension of belief you have to embrace with any movie. A comedy is supposed to be somewhat funny. Not only did I think this wasn't funny, but it wasn't even remotely humorous. The only redeeming quality of this movie is that he had a 17 yr old girlfriend and in real life he ended up falling in love with his young adopted daughter. Does unintentional irony count?
Manhattan was just bad, like really really bad. The beginning is classic masturbatory Woody fuckin Allen when he's doing a voice over and starts, stops, rewrites and changes his "novel", awful. Nothing about the characters or situations were believable even with the willing suspension of belief you have to embrace with any movie. A comedy is supposed to be somewhat funny. Not only did I think this wasn't funny, but it wasn't even remotely humorous. The only redeeming quality of this movie is that he had a 17 yr old girlfriend and in real life he ended up falling in love with his young adopted daughter. Does unintentional irony count?
It was no What's New Pussycat, that's for sure.
Manhattan was just bad, like really really bad. The beginning is classic masturbatory Woody fuckin Allen when he's doing a voice over and starts, stops, rewrites and changes his "novel", awful. Nothing about the characters or situations were believable even with the willing suspension of belief you have to embrace with any movie. A comedy is supposed to be somewhat funny. Not only did I think this wasn't funny, but it wasn't even remotely humorous. The only redeeming quality of this movie is that he had a 17 yr old girlfriend and in real life he ended up falling in love with his young adopted daughter. Does unintentional irony count?
Well, for one thing, It's not unintentional irony. Allen works through his psychological issues through his movies, and his attraction to underage women was certainly addressed in that movie
I love it. On Simmons' new podcast he's ripping Rev Road up and down for being totally pointless and stupid, and he loves

baby murder

. Bill Simmons just went up a notch on my love-o-meter.I'm just glad that my conservative bias wasn't the reason I hated Rev Road... it's because it SUCKS!

i thought this looked kind of interesting, but after reading this might have to wait for dvd. plus i'm a devout Simmons disciple.there is something i wonder about though. if you're married to Kate Winslet, do you just accept the fact that she bangs DiCaprio on the sets of movies they do together? sort of a cost of doing business..."well my wife is a huge star who makes giant piles of money, so i guess if she bangs her costar, that's the breaks".
i thought this looked kind of interesting, but after reading this might have to wait for dvd. plus i'm a devout Simmons disciple.there is something i wonder about though. if you're married to Kate Winslet, do you just accept the fact that she bangs DiCaprio on the sets of movies they do together? sort of a cost of doing business..."well my wife is a huge star who makes giant piles of money, so i guess if she bangs her costar, that's the breaks".
considering her husband directed the movie I'd say it was more likely threesomes....