The Wrestler.Get your money down on Mickey Roarke now for best actor, because holy fcking shit, that's the most amazing performance I've ever seen. Mind shatteringly good. Such a sad and fantastic movie. Wow. Just wow.
So. I just saw The Wrestler. I agree with you that Roarke was great. He is probably top 2 for the Oscar, especially after winning the Golden Globe tonight... but the movie didn't hit me as awesomely as you. I would give it a solid 7.5 or 8. (which is still really good) The reason I think you think it's so great is that you didn't see Beyond the Mat. You menioned that you loved it because it was so 'real'.... well it wasn't, it was a movie. The documentary Beyond the Mat is the exact same movie, but it actually is real. (as you know my favorite genre is documentaries, so I'm biased)As for The Wrestler, it was good, everyone should see it. I have several complaints about the 'realness' but I'll hold my tongue unless you want to discuss it.
After seeing it on so many of the year's top5 lists, I broke down and saw Wal-E. I thought it was good, but not deserving of the massive universal praise that it gets. Maybe I need a kid to be able to appreciate how good a movie is that both parents and kids can enjoy.
No you don't. This is pretty much how I felt. I really enjoyed it and so did my son, but we bought Kung Fu Panda before this.
I have kids and I've posted somewhere else, but Wall-E is no better than the 5th or 6th best Pixar flick.
I still need to see Traffic. I really liked City of God though. I thought it was definitely worthy of best foreign film oscar.I agree with everyone on Wall-E. I was mildly entertained, but it wasn't that awesome. My local newspaper named it the best film of 2008, bunch of BS.I saw Hitman and Biker Boyz (lol at boys with a z). I was at a hotel for a convention and nothing else was on. Hitman was entertaining I guess especially the fight scenes. Biker Boyz was fun because me and my roommate just made fun of everything that happened the whole entire movie. Just think The Fast and the Furious with souped up motorcycles and then you have Biker Boyz.
I'm great with City of God winning best foreign flim. I loved the look of the movie, the random titles, the narration, and especially the cast. Most of the cast, including the main photographer kid were actual slum kids from the real City of God. AMAZING!Anyway, it simply doesn't hold a candle to Traffic. City of God basically is a hopeless movie with a hopeless ending. The violence never stops and no one cares or tries to stop it. In traffic, the hopelessness of the drug war is still forefront, but it shows the other side... where there are people genuinely concerned about the drug problem and want to help keep people from destroying their lives.... and these 'heros', against all hope, never stop trying to stop the flow of drugs. I absolutely love the movie. Don Cheadle will forever be one of my favorite actors, simply because of Traffic.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Revolutionary RoadI have a hard time watching movies that involve

abortions.

I mean, a REALLY hard time. So I hated it.Winslet and DiCaprio were both very good.

Gone Baby Gone. I thought it was really good, although it was really hard to watch. I didn't know anything about it when we started it, and it was really tough to watch, but very well done and extremely thought provoking.

Tropic Thunder. It was just ok. Not even close to the top of Stiller's work.

No you don't. This is pretty much how I felt. I really enjoyed it and so did my son, but we bought Kung Fu Panda before this.
I kind of go out of my way (netflix) to see pretty much all the kids movies and Kung Fu Panda was "A#1 TOPS!" It's up there with Ratatouille, Monsters, Inc. and The Toy Story. Wall-E's in my queue but it doesn't look that great so it's not getting bumped up very fast.
I kind of go out of my way (netflix) to see pretty much all the kids movies and Kung Fu Panda was "A#1 TOPS!" It's up there with Ratatouille, Monsters, Inc. and The Toy Story. Wall-E's in my queue but it doesn't look that great so it's not getting bumped up very fast.
Finding Nemo was better than all three, but you couldnt even present a case where Toy Story was even in the same league. The other two were close.
Finding Nemo was better than all three, but you couldnt even present a case where Toy Story was even in the same league. The other two were close.
Toy Story was just thrown in there since I needed a third and I didn't put too much thought into it. You're right though, Finding Nemo is in a completely different class than any of the films I mentioned.

The wife and I watched Burn After Reading last night, it had some funny moments and great acting but mostly it was like other Coen Bros comedies in that I laughed at parts but I never need to see it again (see also: Fargo, O Brother). To date, The Big Lebowski is the only movie of theirs that I needed to see over and over again. I laughed my ass off at the end though

when Ozz caught the Hardbodies manager in his basement. "You're that guy from the gym! "I'm not here representing Hardbodies". Just the delivery of that line killed me.

I saw Gone Baby Gone the other night and enjoyed it. Not sure if I agree with his decision at the end though. Good acting and directing, although I thought the scene with Casey Afleck pulling the gun in the bar was cliche and a bit over the top.Late Saturday I wanted to watch a movie, but I wasn't really in the mood for a comedy, an action film, or a drama. So, I of course watched Ocean's 11 which I realized fits perfectly in that non-category. Somewhat enjoyable as usual, but all I kept thinking about was the 'Boom baby' episode of South Park.Finally, after a standard Sunday of poker, watched the MST 3000 movie last night and laughed a lot. Silly and mindless, exactly what I needed.

The wife and I watched Burn After Reading last night, it had some funny moments and great acting but mostly it was like other Coen Bros comedies in that I laughed at parts but I never need to see it again (see also: Fargo, O Brother). To date, The Big Lebowski is the only movie of theirs that I needed to see over and over again. I laughed my ass off at the end though

when Ozz caught the Hardbodies manager in his basement. "You're that guy from the gym! "I'm not here representing Hardbodies". Just the delivery of that line killed me.

Really? Movie in general... or comedy? Because the Coens have no less than 5 movies that I need to watch on a constant basis.
Really? Movie in general... or comedy? Because the Coens have no less than 5 movies that I need to watch on a constant basis.
In general, I guess. I've seen:FargoO BrotherNo CountryRaising ArizonaBig LebowskiBurn After ReadingI tried to watch:Hudsucker Proxy (coudn't really get into it, but that was quite a while ago)I've not seen:LadykillersMiller's CrossingIntolerable CrueltyThe Man Who Wasn't ThereOf the ones I've seen, like I said, Lebowski is the only one that I really want to watch again, I've seen that dozens of times.
In general, I guess. I've seen:FargoO BrotherNo CountryRaising ArizonaBig LebowskiBurn After ReadingI tried to watch:Hudsucker Proxy (coudn't really get into it, but that was quite a while ago)I've not seen:LadykillersMiller's CrossingIntolerable CrueltyThe Man Who Wasn't ThereOf the ones I've seen, like I said, Lebowski is the only one that I really want to watch again, I've seen that dozens of times.
Many parts of this post are surprising to me.Of the movie you haven't seen, Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple are the only ones you need to go out of your way to see.Of the ones you have seen, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want to see:No CountryRaising ArizonaBig LebowskiHudsucker Proxyagain and again and again, etc....

Religulous.It was what I expected. I enjoyed watching it. It's too bad he only interviewed nut jobs, but again, that's what I expected.

I could watch TBL, O Brother (which is probably my fav), Raising AZ, and Fargo more than once, and pretty much have.I agree with the hudsucker, I couldn't get into it. I have seen Intolerable and it was okay. I still have to see Millers Crossing. I probably have seen it but will need to see it again.
Many parts of this post are surprising to me.Of the movie you haven't seen, Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple are the only ones you need to go out of your way to see.Of the ones you have seen, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want to see:No CountryRaising ArizonaBig LebowskiHudsucker Proxyagain and again and again, etc....
Switch Fargo with Raising Arizona (which I also love, but not to the same extent) and I agree completely.
Religulous.It was what I expected. I enjoyed watching it. It's too bad he only interviewed nut jobs, but again, that's what I expected.
I agree. It was okay and kind of annoying, but also kind of funny. Some of the people he interviewed were great but a lot of them were just annoying. The crazy Jew with the "Let me finish!" and the fat guy in the weird store stand out in my memory as particularly annoying. The guy who used to be gay and the old Catholic outside the Vatican stand out as being funny.
I agree. It was okay and kind of annoying, but also kind of funny. Some of the people he interviewed were great but a lot of them were just annoying. The crazy Jew with the "Let me finish!" and the fat guy in the weird store stand out in my memory as particularly annoying. The guy who used to be gay and the old Catholic outside the Vatican stand out as being funny.
It's a real shame actually. If he really wanted a genuine dialog you would think he would actually interview normal Christians that have doctorates and stuff. Like John Piper, Charles Ryrie or Hank Hanegraaff. It makes me think he didn't actually care about a dialog... SURPRISE!
Was Gran Torino too late for the Golden globe nominations? Or did they just not get any nominations?
I dont know for sure, but it had to be to late. No freakin way it goes without a nomination for Best Picture, Director, and Actor. At least not in a rational world.
I have a hard time watching movies that involve

abortions.

Why? Are you a survivor?
Why? Are you a survivor?
No, I just don't think that the people in the movie should have all the fun.... I want in on that action!

Scoop and it was simply awful. I don't know why I keep giving Woody Allen movies a chance since they always disappoint. Scarlett Johansson was nice to look at but her acting was way off in this movie. It takes a certain kind of character portrayal to deliver the Allen-esque lines and she certainly didn't deliver.

Scoop and it was simply awful. I don't know why I keep giving Woody Allen movies a chance since they always disappoint. Scarlett Johansson was nice to look at but her acting was way off in this movie. It takes a certain kind of character portrayal to deliver the Allen-esque lines and she certainly didn't deliver.
Try Vicky Christina Barcelona. I hated Scoop and enjoyed VCB considerably. It's not your typical Woody Allen flick, but it has a lot of his charms and the movie's message is true Woody.
Revolutionary RoadI have a hard time watching movies that involve

abortions.

I mean, a REALLY hard time. So I hated it.Winslet and DiCaprio were both very good.

I love it. On Simmons' new podcast he's ripping Rev Road up and down for being totally pointless and stupid, and he loves

baby murder

. Bill Simmons just went up a notch on my love-o-meter.I'm just glad that my conservative bias wasn't the reason I hated Rev Road... it's because it SUCKS!