No I haven't.. I need to, actually. I'd love to see it. But, I mean.... this movie is so real, Penn is exactly right.. even if it's based on the snake.. they create such an unbelievably real movie, I've never seen anything like it.. it's like the 70's realism style, but.. this time.. ti's really, really real. Like hyper real.
Do whatever you have to do to see it soon. I'd love to hear what you think. It basically follows around a washed up Jake the Snake to all these autograph signings and wrestling matches in high school gyms. I think several matches are even in Nebraska... so there's that.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Did you ever see a documentary about Jake the Snake Roberts in the 90's? I have no idea where or when I saw it, but it's my impression that the movie will be almost exactly like that documentary. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even based on it.EDIT: I looked it up... it was called Beyond the Mat. Did you ever see it?
Our local morning show is called Rover's Morning Glory, which is piped in here from Cleveland. One of their more notorious interviews ever was with Jake the Snake, who basically dished on every shitty thing that's ever happened in his entire life over the course of the conversation, then basically went nuts on drugs and alcohol prior to an appearance that night. You can hear the interview here, and there's some links to TMZ video of the incident later that night as well. Definitely worth a listen.
Our local morning show is called Rover's Morning Glory, which is piped in here from Cleveland. One of their more notorious interviews ever was with Jake the Snake, who basically dished on every shitty thing that's ever happened in his entire life over the course of the conversation, then basically went nuts on drugs and alcohol prior to an appearance that night. You can hear the interview here, and there's some links to TMZ video of the incident later that night as well. Definitely worth a listen.
I'll definitely be listening to this later. Thanks for the link.

I saw The Wrestler last night and the first thing I thought of was Beyond The Mat. There are more then a few similarities between the movie and the story of Jake "The Snake" Roberts but truthfully there are likely a hundred stories of passed there prime wrestlers that have the same aspects. While I enjoyed the movie I was a little underwhelmed but that is likely do to the fact that I've been a life long wrestling fan and this is a story I've heard a number of times. That being said it's a wonerful story and I'm glad it's gotten so much main stream attention as usually the msm turds on anything wrestling related. Mikey Rourke was very very good but I definitely wouldn't rate his perfomance above De Niro's and I don't even know that I'd put it in my top five.

I have to say again how much Benjamin Button disappointed me. I really really hated it. I think it's probably because my expectations were too high. Cate Blanchett did a wonderful job and probably deserves a nomination. The editor, however, needs to be quartered.
Different strokes.........I thought the movie was phenomenal and really can't remember the last time I walked away from a movie thinking "man that was a beautiful story".
I saw The Wrestler last night and the first thing I thought of was Beyond The Mat. There are more then a few similarities between the movie and the story of Jake "The Snake" Roberts but truthfully there are likely a hundred stories of passed there prime wrestlers that have the same aspects. While I enjoyed the movie I was a little underwhelmed but that is likely do to the fact that I've been a life long wrestling fan and this is a story I've heard a number of times. That being said it's a wonerful story and I'm glad it's gotten so much main stream attention as usually the msm turds on anything wrestling related. Mikey Rourke was very very good but I definitely wouldn't rate his perfomance above De Niro's and I don't even know that I'd put it in my top five.
I would love to agree with you... but there is a little problem with your credibility:
Different strokes.........I thought the movie was phenomenal and really can't remember the last time I walked away from a movie thinking "man that was a beautiful story".

No, you're not the only one, Tanner and Chrozzo loved it also. Except for all the parts that didn't make sense to them...

Benji Button... it was really good.

I didn't really see the meaning behind the hurricane at the end of the movie. I'm sure it meant an end to Daisy's life, but why would the daughter say that she is staying with her. The hurricane would kill her also. Also, at the end why were there so many people in the hospital when there is a category 5 hurricane coming. This really meant nothing in the whole grand scheme of things with the movie, but it left me kind of confused lol.

I also enjoyed the movie..i dont think the whole rita/katrina thing was a big point..just a way to finalize the moviegreat acting.....fantasy.....awesome cinematographyi loved it
More Benjamin Button thoughts:

It seems like Brad Pitt is getting some award recognition which I'm ok with because he fit the role perfectly. One thing that I thought should have been written for his role is more emotion. You never see him cry when he is young (but looks old). When he leaves Daisy after he has a child he just gets up and leaves. He doesn't really show any emotion when he meets his father. He is ok with "what god has given him" as his mom would say, but you think there would be some more emotion involved with the role.

i agree

he coulda done a lot morehowever....hes only shown true emotion in maybe 2 of his big movies..that i can think of:Seven (at the end)and Babel (hmmm, also with Cate, interesting)

This is the only correct answer: (in bold)
Re: Benjamin ButtonEvery scene in this movie is about missed opportunities and lost time. A great theme that was delivered throughout the movie without it being didactic. I think the movie succeeds more as art than a film, even though it's entertaining enough to keep your interest for the full three hours.
It did NOT keep my interest for the full three hours. In summary, if you thought the English Patient was the right length and was a better movie than Saving Private Ryan, you will LOVE Benjamin Button. If you thought that a 5 year old to do a better editing job on English Patient, then you will dislike Benjamin Button.
and fifty million elvis fans can't be wrong....
Elvis was a hero to mostBut he never meant ---- to me you seeStraight up racist that sucker wasSimple and plainMother---- him and John Wayne

Man I hated the English Patient... and I haven't thought about that movie in years... thanks a lot, Benjamin Button, you asshole.

Recently watched Ghosts of Mississippi, a movie from about 15 years ago. It was quite good, and not overly sympathetic or cheesy. It's about the 1994 retrial of Byron De La Beckwith, who assassinated Medgar Evers in Mississippi in 1963, but was not convicted as his trial and subsequent retrial (back in the 60s) both ended in hung juries. Anyways it stars Alec Baldwin, Whoopi Goldberg, and James Woods, who was nominated for an Oscar for it. Bottom line: highly recommended. 250px-MedgarEvers_headstone.jpg

Recently watched Ghosts of Mississippi, a movie from about 15 years ago. It was quite good, and not overly sympathetic or cheesy. It's about the 1994 retrial of Byron De La Beckwith, who assassinated Medgar Evers in Mississippi in 1963, but was not convicted as his trial and subsequent retrial (back in the 60s) both ended in hung juries. Anyways it stars Alec Baldwin, Whoopi Goldberg, and James Woods, who was nominated for an Oscar for it. Bottom line: highly recommended. 250px-MedgarEvers_headstone.jpg
very good movie...balwdin was good, but woods was sick good...
Recently watched Ghosts of Mississippi
What's the deal with your sig pic?
What's the deal with your sig pic?
I think he said it was a Sonny Rollins pic, or another jazz guy.On yahoo they have a list of 2009 movies coming out:http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/most-antic...ed-of-2009.htmlOne's that I thought looked good:Sherlock Holmes. Robert Downey Jr.... enough said.The Wolfman. Premise sounds stupid, but cast of Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins sounds intriguingShutter Island. Scorcese + Dicaprio = good movie, usuallyInglorious Basterds. I love all Tarantino movies, weird cast though. War movie with Brad Pitt and Mike Myers.Angels & Demons. My favorite Dan Brown book, although I didn't think the Da Vinci Code movie was that special.Bruno. I loved Borat, and I'm already hearing about him getting in trouble for stuff, so this movie will hopefully be just as awesome.Public Enemies. Good cast + Michael Mann directing.

Santa Claus (1959) by way of Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Take the creepiest Christmas movie in history and add the guys from MST3K, and you've got an instant classic. Link"It's a free trade Christmas!" LOL

Into the WildOverall top notch film. For any guy that has wanted to separate himself from society at one time or another (And I certainly am) this will scratchyou where you itch.

7/1 - Public EnemiesJohnny Depp stars as legendary bank robber John Dillinger and Christian Bale is the G-man on his tail in this true crime drama directed by Michael Mann. I feel like crying with anticipation. Anything Michael Mann does is awesome. I even loved Miami Vice.

7/1 - Public EnemiesJohnny Depp stars as legendary bank robber John Dillinger and Christian Bale is the G-man on his tail in this true crime drama directed by Michael Mann. I feel like crying with anticipation. Anything Michael Mann does is awesome. I even loved Miami Vice.
:club:
:club:
Good point. Except for the nudity. I loved Miami Vice, but thought they should have cut out all the nudity. Thanks for reminding me Iveyfan!
I think he said it was a Sonny Rollins pic, or another jazz guy.On yahoo they have a list of 2009 movies coming out:http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/most-antic...ed-of-2009.htmlOne's that I thought looked good:Inglorious Basterds. I love all Tarantino movies, weird cast though. War movie with Brad Pitt and Mike Myers.Angels & Demons. My favorite Dan Brown book, although I didn't think the Da Vinci Code movie was that special.
I'm really, really looking forward to Inglorious bastards. This is his much rumored about movie, that he's been working on since like pulp fiction... and angles and demons is obv great. Though I liked DVC a smidgen better, A&D is fantastic too, and it seems like they have a good castOnes you didn't mentionWatchmenI'm morbidly curious about the JJ arbrams star trekditto on the morbid curiosity for Vin Diesels return to the fast and furious franchiseYear One - Harold Ramis is often money in comedies, though jack black's involvement makes me suspicious2012 - The Day after Tomorrow was one of the most unintentionally funny movies of all time, and 2012 (same director) looks to be packed with that.
I'm really, really looking forward to Inglorious bastards. This is his much rumored about movie, that he's been working on since like pulp fiction... and angles and demons is obv great. Though I liked DVC a smidgen better, A&D is fantastic too, and it seems like they have a good castOnes you didn't mentionWatchmenI'm morbidly curious about the JJ arbrams star trekditto on the morbid curiosity for Vin Diesels return to the fast and furious franchiseYear One - Harold Ramis is often money in comedies, though jack black's involvement makes me suspicious2012 - The Day after Tomorrow was one of the most unintentionally funny movies of all time, and 2012 (same director) looks to be packed with that.
Are you throwing levels in the middle of serious posts now? That makes them more sneaky and I don't like that.also, I'm not a star trek guy, never have been... but a friend of mine, who is, pulled me to First Contact, which is STILL the only Star Trek movies that I've seen, and I really liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing this next one.I also think that Year One looks to be an awesome setup. Harold Ramis is money.I could care less about Vin Diesel or any past and/or future Fast and Furious movies.