You can say that kind of thing about many people,dude. I liked Foxx better on Living Color than I did, say, Tom Hanks on bussom buddies or George Clooney on "Return of the attack of the killer tomatos"
Yea that's true. I guess it seems like Jamie Foxx had a longer road to stardom than other big time movie stars have had.I mean he was around for an extremely long time in 2nd rate comedies and TV shows, then it seemed like all of a sudden he was a oscar winner and star R&B singer.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Where the Fuck is Santatypical CKY/Jackass yarn about Bam and his CKY buddies going to Finland to find the "real" Santa Clausit's not going to win any awards, but I did laugh quite a bit while watching it

Yea that's true. I guess it seems like Jamie Foxx had a longer road to stardom than other big time movie stars have had.I mean he was around for an extremely long time in black comedies and TV shows, then it seemed like all of a sudden he was a oscar winner and star R&B singer.
Just because the shows and movies weren't marketed to you and don't culturally appeal to you, doesn't mean that they were second rate or that he was bad in them. Which was my point with the "why surprising, because he's black" post. I will say that it can be surprising when a comedic actor turns out to be an actually excellent actor, but it's not exactly unprecedented ( see Tom Hanks off the top of my head). The man I think was the greatest actor that I've ever seen ( Peter Sellars) Was primarily a comedic actor.
Just because the shows and movies weren't marketed to you and don't culturally appeal to you, doesn't mean that they were second rate or that he was bad in them. Which was my point with the "why surprising, because he's black" post. I will say that it can be surprising when a comedic actor turns out to be an actually excellent actor, but it's not exactly unprecedented ( see Tom Hanks off the top of my head). The man I think was the greatest actor that I've ever seen ( Peter Sellars) Was primarily a comedic actor.
you can add Will Smith to that list, and Jim Carey if you take his performance in "The Truman Show"
It's not because he is black at all. I enjoyed In Living Color and The Jamie Foxx Show. Those 2 shows were on for a long time, but were in no way huge hits. In fact when I was a kid the majority of the shows I watched were comedies with all black casts like Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Cosby, etc. Other black actors that I can compare him with are guys like Will Smith. Now he is one person who was easy to predict that he would likely be a star because he already had a music career, and Fresh Prince got huge ratings. I don't want to debate about this anymore, my one and only point was that he was an unlikely person in my opinion to hit it big, that's all.
It's not because he is black at all. I enjoyed In Living Color and The Jamie Foxx Show. Those 2 shows were on for a long time, but were in no way huge hits. In fact when I was a kid the majority of the shows I watched were comedies with all black casts like Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Cosby, etc. Other black actors that I can compare him with are guys like Will Smith. Now he is one person who was easy to predict that he would likely be a star because he already had a music career, and Fresh Prince got huge ratings. I don't want to debate about this anymore, my one and only point was that he was an unlikely person in my opinion to hit it big, that's all.
Ummmm. Wow. Tanner this is really coming off like you have a ton of white guilt for watching "black" shows.Also, fwiw, In Living Color was a huge hit.IMDB awardsIt was nominated for 18 Emmys and won 4. That isn't exactly Moesha.

Valkyrie. I haven't been on the forums the last week so I haven't read anybody's opinions but what did people think of it?I wouldn't say it was great, but it defintely as bad as everybody makes it seem.

In fact when I was a kid the majority of the shows I watched were comedies with all black casts like Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Cosby, etc.
Oh, and I bet some of your best friends are also black, huh?
Other black actors that I can compare him with are guys like Will Smith. Now he is one person who was easy to predict that he would likely be a star because he already had a music career, and Fresh Prince got huge ratings.
That you're comparing him to other black actors instead of other actors helps illuminate my point, thank you.
I don't want to debate about this anymore
yeah, I wouldn't want to either if I were you
my one and only point was that he was an unlikely person in my opinion to hit it big, that's all.
And my one and only point is that you think that he's unlikely to hit it big, because he was a black actor, is all. You've done nothing to dissuade me.

Ugh remind me not to debate with anyone on FCP ever again, I clearly don't have the gift lol. I'll quit while I'm behind and not post on the subject of Jamie Foxx ever again. And for the record I have 0 black friends, but I did get Fresh Prince DVD's for Christmas.BigD pwns King_Tanner

BigD pwns King_Tanner
This really was the smart move. Take note, other posters....5.jpgFor the record, I was trying to bait brvheart into having this aburd debate that we ended up having, not you. But you stepped in front of the bullet, nothing personal.
This is basically the exact opposite of what I think. I love the idea of Batman. The first batman, with Keaton, and then all the new ones with Bale, are right up my alley. I love how he doesn't have any superpowers. He's just a rich dude that doesn't care. That setup appeals to me greatly. I am one of only a handful of people that HATE the spiderman movies. I mean, I can't find one redeeming quality in any of them. I despise them. If I even see Toby McGwire playing poker, I think about spiderman and get annoyed. It sounds like you are the same way with Batman.
The main thing that annoyed me about The Dark Night was how Gotham is no longer this dark, scary, weird city like it used to be, it's just NYC now. Still a good movie though.
The main thing that annoyed me about The Dark Night was how Gotham is no longer this dark, scary, weird city like it used to be, it's just Chicago now. Still a good movie though.
FYP... or at least, the Dark Knight was filmed in chicago, and they didn't really try and hide it.
Valkyrie. I haven't been on the forums the last week so I haven't read anybody's opinions but what did people think of it?I wouldn't say it was great, but it defintely as bad as everybody makes it seem.
ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?
For the record, I was trying to bait brvheart into having this aburd debate that we ended up having, not you. But you stepped in front of the bullet, nothing personal.
No prob dude, I'm ok with getting owned, I'm the first to admit it when it happens lol.
Those two posts you quoted are synonymous Because he's black = because He goes from In Living Color to Booty Call to The Jamie Foxx ShowHe was excellent on In Living Color, if you'd bothered to watch.
Who the hell are you talking to? There is no way you are assuming that I didn't watch In Living Color... right? I own the whole series on DVD and always liked Jamie Foxx. But his stupid last name was the first in a long line of things that make me think it's a crazy jump that he made.
You can say that kind of thing about many people,dude. I liked Foxx better on Living Color than I did, say, Tom Hanks on bussom buddies or George Clooney on "Return of the attack of the killer tomatos"
On In Living Color it was OBVIOUS that Jim Carrey was in a different league and that he would be huge. While awesome, Jamie Foxx didn't seem to be on his level, but maybe he was just behind Carrey in development. That's ok, but him turning into a top 5 actor is certainly unexpected, and if we had bet on that 2008 fact in 1992 you would have snatched up the 'against', even money.Also, Will Smith was an excellent actor in Fresh Prince. He was obviously going to make it. I didn't get the same feeling from Foxx, of course that may have been from him not being in a leading role, but whatever.
For the record, I was trying to bait brvheart into having this aburd debate that we ended up having, not you. But you stepped in front of the bullet, nothing personal.
I'm ready, jerk.
I knew J Foxx was the real deal after I saw 'Any Given Sunday'.
He was very good in that movie.
He out acted Al, and that was when Al could still deliver the goods.
I'll give you Al, but he didn't hold a candle to Cameron Diaz.
Not so fast my friend.Cameron Diaz played a convincing raging bitch. But her performace was maybe 4th best in that movie.
Yeah, the guy with the anaconda in the locker room totally stole the movie.