I don't think this post got enough attention. You want to know why everyone thinks you're a terrible movie watcher? Start with this god damn post.
I have to agree with you there. I saw my film professor when they iphones were coming out and he was telling me how watchng a movie on a iphone is horrible because movies were not meant to be seen on 3 inch screens. I know movies aren't supposed to be watched at twice the speed but I only do that when I watch movies during weekdays that I get from netflix-about 2 a week.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I have to agree with you there. I saw my film professor when they iphones were coming out and he was telling me how watchng a movie on a iphone is horrible because movies were not meant to be seen on 3 inch screens. I know movies aren't supposed to be watched at twice the speed but I only do that when I watch movies during weekdays that I get from netflix-about 2 a week.
Wait.... You were serious? No. Really? Huh? I am confused now?
How so? I actually think I am the perfect movie watcher. I watch movies in many ways and I have an open mind to them. The main way I watch is to see if the movie is entertaining, which is the reason movies are made. If you think that movies are made to send a message, you're wrong. They're meant to make money and if they can't make money, studios don't release them, even if it had a great meassag. But I also watch for good actors, stories, directing, effects...I don't want to brag, but I think I'm great.
You are unbelievably retarded. If someone told me you were 9 I would believe them. Let's talk about this so-called 'message' problem you have. Let's take No Country for Old Men as our example. This movie was incredibly entertaining. Was it because it had a great message? Yes. Was it because it had a great cast? Yes. Was it because it had fantastic direction? Yes. Was it because the plot was fantastic? Yes. Was it because the action was intense? Yes. Was it because of the chase scenes? Yes. Was it because of the score (or lack there of)? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. Could it be MORE entertaining? I don't see how.Now let's take National Treasure 2, a movie that you claim was awesome. Did it have a great message? No. Was the cast great? No. Was the direction even mildly decent? No. Was the plot good? It's was obcene nonsense from beginning to end. Were there chase scenes? Yes. Was the score good? No. Was it entertaining? I don't see how.I could do the same for The Grand, which you claim is a fantastic movie as well. It's not.
Well, you're idea of entertaining is what most people consider retarded.
exhibit A
Wait.... You were serious?
Yes. Yes he was.
Like which movies? I thought Dark Knight was entertaining...did most people think that was retarded?
Never mind. I hadn't thought of this. Please disregard all of the above.
You are unbelievably retarded. If someone told me you were 9 I would believe them. Let's talk about this so-called 'message' problem you have. Let's take No Country for Old Men as our example. This movie was incredibly entertaining. Was it because it had a great message? Yes. Was it because it had a great cast? Yes. Was it because it had fantastic direction? Yes. Was it because the plot was fantastic? Yes. Was it because the action was intense? Yes. Was it because of the chase scenes? Yes. Was it because of the score (or lack there of)? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. Could it be MORE entertaining? I don't see how.Now let's take National Treasure 2, a movie that you claim was awesome. Did it have a great message? No. Was the cast great? No. Was the direction even mildly decent? No. Was the plot good? It's was obcene nonsense from beginning to end. Were there chase scenes? Yes. Was the score good? No. Was it entertaining? I don't see how.I could do the same for The Grand, which you claim is a fantastic movie as well. It's not.exhibit AYes. Yes he was.Never mind. I hadn't thought of this. Please disregard all of the above.
lol I love it when you get steamed up. Wanna see if he likes Braveheart or not? One of us will end up pissed.
lol I love it when you get steamed up. Wanna see if he likes Braveheart or not? One of us will end up pissed.
Let's not talk about Braveheart, I don't want to have to agree with him.
Thx. I am glad I did not finish it then. That sounds horrible. I don't know the Jesse James story well enough to figure out if the movie was accurate at all, but It seemed too far fetched to be so. They seemed to try and give the characters a certain depth that just was not there. I don't know, it just did not work for me. The only thing I liked about the movie were the few scenes with Sam Rockwell, that dude cracks me up.
It's accurate. That's what happened. That's why he's considered a coward. The movie was paced a little slow but luckily I PM'd ss24 for his doubletime software, so I really enjoyed it.

People like ss24 are the reason why hollywood puts out what it puts out. There are more ss24's then there are brvhearts who want a little more in their movie. While I fully disagree with ss24, he is right, mainstream movies are out to make money not send a message and make people actually think. The majority of movies that do well in the box office are movies that don't make the audience think, they hand hold the audience through the story. It's funny right now when Roeper pretty much says that so far Wall-E and Kung Fu Panda have been the best movies of the year...that is not good at all. While I do find movies like National Treasure 2 entertaining on a Sunday afternoon on the couch, I would much prefer more movies like NCFOM and such as I enjoy being sucked into a story, being made to pay attention and think about what I am watching.

While I do find movies like National Treasure 2 entertaining on a Sunday afternoon on the couch, I would much prefer more movies like NCFOM and such as I enjoy being sucked into a story, being made to pay attention and think about what I am watching.
I think this is the best point made. National Treasure is an enjoyable movie, it is one of those movies you can put on when your tired and be entertained and not have to think about it. NCOM is a movie, IMO, where you watch it once, and then re-watch to see the nuances you missed, then maybe watch it again years down the road.I have been traveling for work, so in the evenings I have a lot of down time, so I have been using Netflix insta watch and the various sites that stream movies and I am having a difficult time finding movies that I can really get into. Ones that grab your attention and you don't even want to pause it to go to the bathroom.
I think this is the best point made. National Treasure is an enjoyable movie, it is one of those movies you can put on when your tired and be entertained and not have to think about it. NCOM is a movie, IMO, where you watch it once, and then re-watch to see the nuances you missed, then maybe watch it again years down the road.I have been traveling for work, so in the evenings I have a lot of down time, so I have been using Netflix insta watch and the various sites that stream movies and I am having a difficult time finding movies that I can really get into. Ones that grab your attention and you don't even want to pause it to go to the bathroom.
Real Men with Jim Belushiyour welcome
Let's take No Country for Old Men as our example. This movie was incredibly entertaining. Was it because it had a great message? Yes. Was it because it had a great cast? Yes. Was it because it had fantastic direction? Yes. Was it because the plot was fantastic? Yes. Was it because the action was intense? Yes. Was it because of the chase scenes? Yes. Was it because of the score (or lack there of)? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. Could it be MORE entertaining? I don't see how.Now let's take National Treasure 2, a movie that you claim was awesome. Did it have a great message? No. Was the cast great? No. Was the direction even mildly decent? No. Was the plot good? It's was obcene nonsense from beginning to end. Were there chase scenes? Yes. Was the score good? No. Was it entertaining? I don't see how.
I appreciated all of the things you said about NCfOM...and I realize that's why it is a "good" movie. But I did not find it entertaining. I don't know why I didn't, but I was bored while watching it. Because I was bored, it wasn't entertaining...and that's why people go to movies...to be ENTERTAINED. I don't know if anybody ever told you this, but movies are considered entertainment. Now lets look at National Treasure 2...did it have a great message?...was I smarter walking out of it than when I walked it?...No! But for what I paid and what I expected, it was a good movie and I enjoyed the time I spent in the theater (although I watched it on DVD, but you know what I meant). And the Grand was an entertaining movie. When you saw it, did you expect it to be in contention for an Oscar? Did you really expect the plot/directing/acting to be good? No...you probably saw it with a closed mind. And even if those things weren't good, it was a funny movie and it was defintely worth me wasting a spot on my Netflix queue. A movie that most people consider one of the greatest of all time: Citizen Kane. I respect it for what it's worth-a great movie. The directing and acting were great and the effects were amazing for the 1940's, but the plot was kind of lame...who cares what a dying newspaper tycoon said? It was a boring movie, and not many people can disagree with that. I am not one of those people who consider it one of the greatest movies of all time, because it didn't keep my interest, even though I realize how amazing the directing/acting/effects are.
Haven't seen it. I'm not the biggest Gibson fan.
People like ss24 are the reason why hollywood puts out what it puts out. There are more ss24's then there are brvhearts who want a little more in their movie. While I fully disagree with ss24, he is right, mainstream movies are out to make money not send a message and make people actually think. The majority of movies that do well in the box office are movies that don't make the audience think, they hand hold the audience through the story. It's funny right now when Roeper pretty much says that so far Wall-E and Kung Fu Panda have been the best movies of the year...that is not good at all. While I do find movies like National Treasure 2 entertaining on a Sunday afternoon on the couch, I would much prefer more movies like NCFOM and such as I enjoy being sucked into a story, being made to pay attention and think about what I am watching.
Thank you. People need to realize what movies are made for...to make money by entertaining people. For example, movies that win the best picutre Oscar tend not to make a lot of money at the box office (ignore Titanic and LotR). There are not many Billy Walsh directors out there-directors who don't care if people like the movie, as long as they (the director) like it. If a director does not think that the audience will like the movie, they will not direct it. And about a Sunday afternood on the couch...If you are talking about poping a movie in the DVD player I can understand how you would rather watch NCfOM than NT2, but if people are just flipping through the channels, they would rather watch a movie that you don't need to think (NT2) than one where you do.
I think this is the best point made. National Treasure is an enjoyable movie, it is one of those movies you can put on when your tired and be entertained and not have to think about it. NCOM is a movie, IMO, where you watch it once, and then re-watch to see the nuances you missed, then maybe watch it again years down the road.
And I, and I represent the target audience for movies-even if you consider them dumb, would rather watch a entertaing movie than a movie that needs to be rewatched.
Dude... you PAID to see Stepbrothers twice and you have never seen Braveheart?Go rent it... Mel fan or no... it's an AWESOME flick.
I'll add it to my Netflix queue, but I have about 114 movies before it.
Dude... you PAID to see Stepbrothers twice and you have never seen Braveheart?Go rent it... Mel fan or no... it's an AWESOME flick.
son of a .....
i wouldn't worry, that's only about 45 hours worth
LOL... This was awesome.
This is absolutely true of National Treasure. However, National Treasure 2 is total crap.
This is absolutely true of National Treasure. However, National Treasure 2 is total crap.
Meh, NT2 was moderately entertaining. I liked the first half, the second half pretty much sucked.The best part of the whole movie is when they are in the car chase scene and they do a close up of Cage, and he is making this serious face that is all puckered up. My wife immediately said "He worked on that look for hours". Its friggin classic, it is so bad.
Meh, NT2 was moderately entertaining. I liked the first half, the second half pretty much sucked.The best part of the whole movie is when they are in the car chase scene and they do a close up of Cage, and he is making this serious face that is all puckered up. My wife immediately said "He worked on that look for hours". Its friggin classic, it is so bad.
lol, about the wife comment... also... at least we agree with the bolded part.
. I am not one of those people who consider it one of the greatest movies of all time, because it didn't keep my interest, even though I realize how amazing the directing/acting/effects are.Haven't seen it. I'm not the biggest Gibson fan.
This is an unsatisfying answer, I award half a point to brvheart
Oops, looks like I just took the lead, full point to McGee.

I watched NT2 last night just to see what all the hubbub was about, and damn, I was enterTAINED. I was so entertained I couldn't sleep for a couple of hours afterwards because I was too busy muttering to myself about ridiculous pot twists. That was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I watched NT2 last night just to see what all the hubbub was about, and damn, I was enterTAINED. I was so entertained I couldn't sleep for a couple of hours afterwards because I was too busy muttering to myself about ridiculous pot twists. That was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
You obv have never seen My Best Friends Wedding.
You obv have never seen My Best Friends Wedding.
I'm not sure. Was the entire conflict in that movie based on uselessly smearing someone's "great-great-grandpappy's good name" because "it was the only way I could think of to get you involved" when just ASKING the guy to find a lost city of gold would have worked, and not made you have to be evil for the whole movie only to recant in the dying minutes of the movie so that the heroes could give you the credit for the find of the century despite the repeated assaults and threatened murders?Sounds like a wedding movie to me.
I'm not sure. Was the entire conflict in that movie based on uselessly smearing someone's "great-great-grandpappy's good name" because "it was the only way I could think of to get you involved" when just ASKING the guy to find a lost city of gold would have worked, and not made you have to be evil for the whole movie only to recant in the dying minutes of the movie so that the heroes could give you the credit for the find of the century despite the repeated assaults and threatened murders?Sounds like a wedding movie to me.
to be fair... it did have CHASES!