The Hi-lo(w) Content Thread

i think im finally a convert. after seeing so much action going down on the nlo8 tables all the time i felt like i just had to get involved. so today im playing and im loving it. being able to overbet the turn and the river just makes extracting money from the bad players so easy. of course nobody really good is playing right now so i don't know how big of a pain in the ass a good player can be. i suspect im going to have to either get better at hand reading or stop calling people down with any four cards just because the pot is small.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think im finally a convert. after seeing so much action going down on the nlo8 tables all the time i felt like i just had to get involved. so today im playing and im loving it. being able to overbet the turn and the river just makes extracting money from the bad players so easy. of course nobody really good is playing right now so i don't know how big of a pain in the ass a good player can be. i suspect im going to have to either get better at hand reading or stop calling people down with any four cards just because the pot is small.
I've been quite tempted myself.. Been having a ball lately playing NL08 sit n goes..But honestly.. My love for the pure form of LO8 makes me skittish to cross it with the menacing form of no-limit.The mountain trickles downhill both ways: you can extract maximum value, but those table donkeys can go absolutely nuts and put you to the test with "Any 4". Part of the reason I enjoy limit so much is my ability to outplay the majority over a period of time.. And someone can only luckbox so much from me on a fortunate turn or river.. Playing no-limit, that one retarded race can erase an hour or more of hard work.If you are going to make the jump, I support you entirely *as long as* you mentally commit to it and won't jump out if the first 10k-20k hands don't turn out in your favor. And no, I'm not saying this cuz I think you're a n00b (you obv aren't. duh) but its the *exact same* advice I'd want someone to toss at me if I was ready to make the same jump. Now pwn some donkeys. :club:

As for my little foray into turning $10 into $1000.. I crested at $900 night before last, and got smacked pretty hard with the variance stick once again while the mad rush for 25000000000000000000 hands or whatever was in full swing. First time since the challenge started that I dropped a full buy in on a table, $1/$2 Horse. Had a couple really ugly o8b hands where the table short stack bent over backwards to get his whole stack in asap, and my nut lows either bricked our or c/fed, and my nut high draws wouldn't cooperate.. Went from up 10 to down the full 40 in 3 hands.. Grossest thing I ever saw.On the bright side, now that I'm playing real limits, I'm less than 50 vpp's away from Silverstar, which is good news, since those 210FPP 20man 6pay $100k sattys (that pay 6 of 20 players an $11 ticket) have been really good to me. I'm 5/10 in them so far, which is a pretty stellar way to nab $55 tourney dollars for what otherwise would probably have been a FPP Store T-shirt.I dunno, I'm at a crossroads. I can't believe I've almost turned $10 into $1000 in 2 months, but at the same time I see myself regressing as a player at times. My style of LO8 is a fearless one, and I've caught myself too often playing it safe and limping a lot of raisable hands when I'm not having the best of days. I've been really swingy at $1/2 Horse, but a definite winner overall at $1/2 Horse. Soo many regulars, though, at the times I play. I know my ATM regulars, and I know my "blood from turnip" regulars. But there's just a ton of people I know it's -EV to sit down with in combos of 2 or more.. I'd hate to play .5/1 Horse and o8b the rest of my life, but that really seems to be where the moneys at.As a side: I was absolutely destroyed in my 6max $1/$2 LO8 experiment. My style plays pretty poorly against a bunch of folks that play similar to me, that's for friggin certain lol. No real point to any of this I guess, except to say that $1/2 LO8 full ring might be the nittiest tables on Stars.

I found the 6 max tables were exact opposite (as they should be) of the full ring $1/$2 games. If you get in there and gamble it up a bit in the early going you can really nit it up l8 and turn a profit pretty regularly as long as PokerStarz doesn't decide to kick you in the nutz over and overon a side note weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeePokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.50 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP1 with 9 :D, 2 :4h, A :5c, K :D2 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB checksFlop: (6 SB) 10 :D, 9 :club:, Q :jh(6 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP3 callsTurn: (5.5 BB) J :club:(5 players)BB bets, 1 fold, Hero calls, MP3 raises, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero 3-bets, MP3 calls, BB callsRiver: (14.5 BB) 7 :ts(3 players)BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, BB calls, Hero 3-bets, MP3 calls, BB callsTotal pot: $11.75 (23.5 BB) | Rake: $0.40Results in white below: BB mucked 5 :(, K :3h, 8 :club:, 5 :3d (Hi: flush, Queen high).Hero had 9 :club:, 2 :qh, A :D, K :club: (Hi: straight, Ace high).MP3 mucked A :club:, 10 :club:, 6 :qc, 7 :club: (Hi: flush, Ace high).Outcome: Hero won $11.35

I found the 6 max tables were exact opposite (as they should be) of the full ring $1/$2 games. If you get in there and gamble it up a bit in the early going you can really nit it up l8 and turn a profit pretty regularly as long as PokerStarz doesn't decide to kick you in the nutz over and overon a side note weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeePokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.50 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP1 with 9 :D, 2 :4h, A :5c, K :D2 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, BB checksFlop: (6 SB) 10 :D, 9 :club:, Q :jh(6 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, Button bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP3 callsTurn: (5.5 BB) J :club:(5 players)BB bets, 1 fold, Hero calls, MP3 raises, 1 fold, BB calls, Hero 3-bets, MP3 calls, BB callsRiver: (14.5 BB) 7 :ts(3 players)BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, BB calls, Hero 3-bets, MP3 calls, BB callsTotal pot: $11.75 (23.5 BB) | Rake: $0.40Results in white below: BB mucked 5 :(, K :3h, 8 :club:, 5 :3d (Hi: flush, Queen high).Hero had 9 :club:, 2 :qh, A :D, K :club: (Hi: straight, Ace high).MP3 mucked A :club:, 10 :club:, 6 :qc, 7 :club: (Hi: flush, Ace high).Outcome: Hero won $11.35
you're mp3......do you save any bets here?

peoples biggest mistake in nlo8 - they are too trappy. they figure since they can just bet whatever they want they often do dumb things like wait until the river to c/r you with a set turned boat. it feels like a game filled with people who take pride in their FPS, like they care more about traping me for all my chips than getting value from their good hands. the fun part is that even the worst players in the game don't seem to get trapped to often. if you check/call the flop, let the turn check through, and then c/r the river its pretty obvious you have a monster. at first i was suspicious people were bluffing me this way but now after playing for a little bit im confident they are not.

you're mp3......do you save any bets here?
You'd almost have to... with 2 other players going nuts, how could you not? Any chance we could get the name of the BB? that's the important thing! :club:
You'd almost have to... with 2 other players going nuts, how could you not? Any chance we could get the name of the BB? that's the important thing! :ts
ask and u shall receive........ clovis40 :club: and I'm assuming there is a bit of sarcasm in there? bb call call call doesn't bother me if I'm mp3 . I also think my check raise on the turn "could" be interpreted as I don't believe you or lets see if my small flush is good type of bet? I don't know, like you said you do see people doing a lot of weird sheot at these tables
ask and u shall receive........ clovis40 :club: and I'm assuming there is a bit of sarcasm in there? bb call call call doesn't bother me if I'm mp3 . I also think my check raise on the turn "could" be interpreted as I don't believe you or lets see if my small flush is good type of bet? I don't know, like you said you do see people doing a lot of weird sheot at these tables
thats funny. he's all over 4 posting like who the hell he is. assuming ive realized that you're not a moron after you call/3bet the turn i am just calling down if i am mp3. and maybe even if i think you're a moron depending on what kind of moron i think you are. you would have to be a really special kind of moron to take that line on the turn and then keep putting in action without the straight flush. if this was pl and you pulled that there are certain players that i might actually fold to.

I'm sorry, with 3 ppl in the pot, there never *was* a low possible.. That's pretty much lighting money on fire.I can't imagine anything of value happening here.. I know this may shock all of you, but I probably toss the 8 hi flush draw on the flop. I've never been a big fan of drawing to hands I can't valuebet with confidence on the end. That's drawing hands tho... I valuebet 2pr type hands without fear.. But anything I draw to (ugly straights, flushes, etc..) I'll only draw cheaply and cautiously to.. Especially in hands with no low possible, I'll ditch any sketchy draws. In *limit*. I might semi-bluff with some in favorable spots, but dear god this isn't one of them.

i cant believe this retard called me hereFull Tilt Poker Game #10701919942: Table Western - $0.50/$1 - Pot Limit Omaha H/L - 5:36:26 ET - 2009/02/18Seat 1: siggi9 ($30)Seat 2: Sexy Sabrina ($128.85)Seat 3: ZORRO704 ($112)Seat 4: XDatsPokerX ($55)Seat 5: reg4311 ($41.60)Seat 6: antistuff ($95.55)Seat 7: DrkTheCursed ($232.45)Seat 8: Tenisguy ($102.35)Seat 9: chiseler1 ($40)Tenisguy posts the small blind of $0.50chiseler1 posts the big blind of $1The button is in seat #7*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to antistuff [Ad 2c 4d 6s]siggi9 raises to $2Sexy Sabrina calls $2ZORRO704 calls $2XDatsPokerX calls $2reg4311 foldsantistuff calls $2DrkTheCursed foldsTenisguy foldschiseler1 folds*** FLOP *** [9h 7s 5h]siggi9 bets $7Sexy Sabrina foldsZORRO704 foldsXDatsPokerX adds $2XDatsPokerX foldsantistuff calls $7*** TURN *** [9h 7s 5h] [Qh]siggi9 checksantistuff bets $25.50siggi9 calls $21, and is all inantistuff shows [Ad 2c 4d 6s]siggi9 shows [4c 2d 4s As]Uncalled bet of $4.50 returned to antistuff*** RIVER *** [9h 7s 5h Qh] [2h]antistuff shows a pair of Twos, for high and 7,5,4,2,A, for lowsiggi9 shows a pair of Fours, for high and 7,5,4,2,A, for lowsiggi9 wins the high pot ($32.25) with a pair of Fourssiggi9 ties for the low pot ($16.15) with 7,5,4,2,Aantistuff ties for the low pot ($16.10) with 7,5,4,2,A*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $67.50 | Rake $3Board: [9h 7s 5h Qh 2h]Seat 1: siggi9 showed [4c 2d 4s As] and won ($48.40) with HI: a pair of Fours; LO: 7,5,4,2,ASeat 2: Sexy Sabrina folded on the FlopSeat 3: ZORRO704 folded on the FlopSeat 4: XDatsPokerX folded on the FlopSeat 5: reg4311 didn't bet (folded)Seat 6: antistuff showed [Ad 2c 4d 6s] and won ($16.10) with HI: a pair of Twos; LO: 7,5,4,2,ASeat 7: DrkTheCursed (button) didn't bet (folded)Seat 8: Tenisguy (small blind) folded before the FlopSeat 9: chiseler1 (big blind) folded before the Flop

think I could've/should've just raised this one right on the flop.......shrugedit: meh on second thought I think I prob got max value as playedPokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is CO with 4 :3h, J :club:, A :(, A :qh4 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, 3 folds, MP3 callsFlop: (5.4 SB) J :D, 5 :D, 6 :D(2 players)MP3 bets, Hero callsTurn: (3.7 BB) 3 :ts(2 players)MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 callsRiver: (7.7 BB) 9 :club:(2 players)MP3 checks, Hero bets, MP3 callsTotal pot: $4.85 (9.7 BB) | Rake: $0.20Results in white below: MP3 mucked K :club:, 3 :club:, 3 :club:, A :4h (Hi: three of a kind, threes).Hero had 4 :D, J :5c, A :club:, A :jh (Hi: flush, Ace high, Lo: [ 6, 5, 4, 3, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $4.65

wow some real nutballz playing PL/NL today during lunch hrs. I could've stacked another guy for a significant amount when he bet the river and it didn't make any sense, but decided to make the lay down :ts I guess I can't complain though :club: PokerStars No-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.25 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($8.90)SB ($24.75)BB ($25.90)Hero (UTG) ($13.35)MP1 ($8.60)MP2 ($3.05)CO ($28.35)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2 :qh, 3 :4h, J :club:, A :club:Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, Button calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checksFlop: ($1.25) 7 :club:, Q :(, 3 :club:(5 players)SB checks, BB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, 1 foldTurn: ($2.25) 4 :3d(4 players)BB checks, Hero bets $2, MP1 calls $2, Button calls $2, 1 foldRiver: ($8.25) 7 :D(3 players)Hero bets $5.75, MP1 calls $5.75, Button calls $5.75Total pot: $25.50 | Rake: $1.25Results in white below: Button had 9 :D, 2 :5c, 10 :D, A :club: (Hi: one pair, sevens, Lo: [ 7, 4, 3, 2, A ]).Hero had 2 :D, 3 :3h, J :club:, A :qc (Hi: flush, Ace high, Lo: [ 7, 4, 3, 2, A ]).MP1 had A :jh, J :club:, 2 :7s, 8 :club: (Hi: one pair, sevens, Lo: [ 7, 4, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Button won $4, Hero won $16.20, MP1 won $4.05

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP ($0.40)CO ($10)Button ($13.46)SB ($3.25)Hero (BB) ($6.12)UTG ($7.61)Preflop: Hero is BB with Q :club:, 6 :club:, 2 :qh, A :D2 folds, CO checks, Button raises to $0.24, SB calls $0.22, Hero calls $0.19, CO calls $0.19Flop: ($0.91) 7 :D, Q :club:, 5 :club:(4 players)SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button bets $0.98, SB raises to $3.01 (All-In), Hero raises to $5.04, 1 fold, Button raises to $7.07, Hero calls $0.84 (All-In)Turn: ($15.68) 6 :3d(3 players, 2 all-in)River: ($15.68) Q :D(3 players, 2 all-in)Total pot: $15.68 | Rake: $0.75Results in white below: Button had 2 :(, 7 :club:, 8 :ts, A :club: (Hi: two pair, Queens and sevens, Lo: [ 7, 6, 5, 2, A ]).SB mucked 8 :club:, 2 :4h, 6 :5c, 3 :qc (Hi: flush, Queen high, Lo: [ 7, 6, 5, 3, 2 ]).Hero had Q :3h, 6 :club:, 2 :D, A :jh (Hi: full house, Queens over sixes, Lo: [ 7, 6, 5, 2, A ]).Outcome: Button won $3.74, Hero won $11.26

I almost didn't raise this on the end. Glad I came to my sensesPokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comCO ($6.84)Button ($2.77)Hero (SB) ($5.12)BB ($4.92)UTG ($5.22)MP ($9.15)Preflop: Hero is SB with Q :5c, K :3h, J :jh, J :spade:UTG calls $0.05, MP calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, Button calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.03, BB checksFlop: ($0.30) 2 :club:, J :club:, 2 :qh(6 players)Hero bets $0.15, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.15, 1 fold, CO calls $0.15, 1 foldTurn: ($0.75) 5 :club:(3 players)Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50River: ($2.25) 8 :ts(3 players)Hero bets $1, UTG raises to $2, 1 fold, Hero raises to $4.42 (All-In), UTG calls $2.42Total pot: $11.09 | Rake: $0.50Results in white below: Hero had Q :D, K :D, J :club:, J :D (Hi: full house, Jacks over twos).UTG mucked 5 :D, 2 :4h, Q :(, K :club: (Hi: full house, twos over fives).Outcome: Hero won $10.59

Nice, Rvr..Maybe it's just me, but I really haven't come across any post-worthy hands in LO8 the last couple of weeks. Sometimes I feel the game is just playing itself now, with me throwing in some well-timed aggression. I've also found that on days where I'm not getting cards/hitting flops it's just far better to turtle up a bit and keep the stop-loss strong as opposed to being clever.Hell I feel like I'm FPP-farming more than playing poker a lot of the times. And I definitely feel like the HORSE tables seem to bring me more profit than straight LO8 tables.PLO8 has definitely caught my eye. Any pointers? May consider giving it a shot.

meh still kind of getting comfortable with it myself. I know at the FR NL tables you get a lot of nitty trappy style play and people who buy in short and just move in over and over preflop to try and double up (read if you steal enough small pots you can gamble it up with short stacks until you hold and show profit) At the PL 6max tables at the limit I've been playing there are a lot of weak players. You do have the regs, but seems to be at the moment there a several soft spots to get in. I just play position 3x raise a lot preflop and c-bet on a lot of flops

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP ($6.39)Hero (CO) ($6.18)Button ($2.94)SB ($4.48)BB ($7.18)UTG ($2.08)Preflop: Hero is CO with J :club:, A :D, 9 :ts, K :(UTG bets $0.17, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.17, 1 fold, SB calls $0.15, BB calls $0.12Flop: ($0.68) 10 :D, 9 :club:, A :4h(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, UTG raises to $1.91 (All-In), Hero calls $1.31Turn: ($4.50) 7 :D(2 players, 1 all-in)River: ($4.50) Q :5c(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: $4.50 | Rake: $0.20Results in white below: UTG had Q :jh, 2 :club:, J :club:, A :club: (Hi: two pair, Aces and Queens).Hero had J :3h, A :D, 9 :qh, K :club: (Hi: straight, Ace high).Outcome: Hero won $4.30

Nice, Rvr..Maybe it's just me, but I really haven't come across any post-worthy hands in LO8 the last couple of weeks. Sometimes I feel the game is just playing itself now, with me throwing in some well-timed aggression. I've also found that on days where I'm not getting cards/hitting flops it's just far better to turtle up a bit and keep the stop-loss strong as opposed to being clever.Hell I feel like I'm FPP-farming more than playing poker a lot of the times. And I definitely feel like the HORSE tables seem to bring me more profit than straight LO8 tables.PLO8 has definitely caught my eye. Any pointers? May consider giving it a shot.
raise preflop and bet the flop.
meh still kind of getting comfortable with it myself. I know at the FR NL tables you get a lot of nitty trappy style play and people who buy in short and just move in over and over preflop to try and double up (read if you steal enough small pots you can gamble it up with short stacks until you hold and show profit) At the PL 6max tables at the limit I've been playing there are a lot of weak players. You do have the regs, but seems to be at the moment there a several soft spots to get in. I just play position 3x raise a lot preflop and c-bet on a lot of flops
echo echo :club: glad I'm getting something right

Man it's nice to see some other people start posting around here. (not that you 2 weren't enough for me..lol) Maybe we can start generating some interesting things to talk about more frequently. Side note played in a live NL HLDM tourney last night went out 23rd out of 110 when a guy with A4 called over two of us who were all in for his stack with A4 villain who went all in first had KQ I had AK sooooted all blanks river 4 dohOh yeah and back to the 1/2 limit mixed in a bitPokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $2.00 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with 8 :D, 3 :3h, A :jh, 4 :club:1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checksFlop: (6 SB) 3 :club:, K :club:, 8 :club:(6 players)SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero callsTurn: (6 BB) 2 :qh(6 players)SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, SB callsRiver: (11 BB) 9 :ts(5 players)SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 calls, 1 foldTotal pot: $28 (14 BB) | Rake: $1Results in white below: Hero had 8 :(, 3 :D, A :club:, 4 :club: (Hi: two pair, eights and threes, Lo: [ 8, 4, 3, 2, A ]).UTG+1 had 8 :D, 7 :3d, 6 :club:, 3 :club: (Hi: two pair, eights and threes, Lo: [ 8, 7, 6, 3, 2 ]).MP3 mucked K :qc, 10 :D, 4 :4h, 5 :5c (Hi: one pair, Kings, Lo: [ 8, 5, 4, 3, 2 ]).Outcome: Hero won $20.25, UTG+1 won $6.75

always nice to double up first handPokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is SB with 10 :D, Q :club:, 10 :club:, Q :heart:UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checksFlop: (6 SB) Q :D, 7 :ts, 5 :3d(6 players)Hero bets, BB raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero callsTurn: (13 BB) 10 :4h(5 players)Hero bets, BB raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero callsRiver: (33 BB) 3 :D(5 players)Hero bets, 1 fold, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 callsTotal pot: $18.50 (37 BB) | Rake: $0.40Results in white below: Hero had 10 :D, Q :5c, 10 :club:, Q :( (Hi: three of a kind, Queens).UTG had 10 :club:, 2 :3h, A :jh, 2 :club: (Hi: one pair, tens, Lo: [ 7, 5, 3, 2, A ]).UTG+1 had 2 :club:, A :qc, 4 :qh, K :7s (Hi: high card, Ace, Lo: [ 7, 5, 3, 2, A ]).MP1 had 6 :club:, 2 :club:, J :club:, A :club: (Hi: high card, Ace, Lo: [ 7, 5, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $9.05, UTG won $3.05, UTG+1 won $3, MP1 won $3