The Hi-lo(w) Content Thread

I'll have to take your word for it, I put in decently long sessions and play as many tables as possible so I don't really notice if a table is super nitty unless it's the biggest limit I'm playing. FPPs are a huge plus which is why I won't sit lower than .5/1 and don't get as many as I'd like there but being supernova helps a lot. I usually put in a session like 2-6 pm EST and then somewhere between 8 pm and 1 am and the games are much softer at night usually. I think after that it gets tighter at the times you play. I notice when you sit down and could easily chat but figure we've both got more important tables up. It does seem like you leave pretty fast since I've got barely any hands on you.
Most times me and you bump heads are afternoonish for me, when I've put my 2-year old down for a nap and get an hour or so in on the poker tables (on the days I choose to play at all mid-day). So yeah, you can probably view me as a hit 'n' runner, since you won't see me for more than a half-dozen orbits generally that time of day. How the heck do you get supernova? You must log a ton of hours to avg over 8k VPPs a month. Wow.
In the end it's all about what you're comfortable with and think you beat. If you think the HORSE players are worse and that you can make more there then keep kicking ass playing it. I love o8 for some reason and feel like I'm maximizing my earn between the cash and fpps while staying in my comfort zone where no loss can be that bad.
Horse is usually fpp-free until you hit $1/2 anyways, but I generally find it far, far more compelling. LO8 is pretty stressfull, since I'm generally manufacturing my profit coming from behind/taking the lead in hands where I'm on complete air or backdoor draw city. I'm full of it far more often in LO8 than I am in NLHE, and that's really saying something. :club: And yeah, a nice, hyper, LO8 table is the absolute nuts for fpps.
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a note on this opponent: "Call light, with any four cards. Will never give up on bluff/raised turn river on air"PokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $1.00 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP2 with :5c, :jh, :club:, :D1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checksFlop: (5 SB) :ts, :D, :((5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button checksTurn: (2.5 BB) :qh(5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, 3 folds, Hero callsRiver: (4.5 BB) :4h(2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero callsTotal pot: $8.50 (8.5 BB) | Rake: $0.40Results in white below: Button had :club:, :club:, :club:, :D (Hi: high card, Ace, Lo: [ 8, 7, 3, 2, A ]).Hero had :3h, :club:, :club:, :D (Hi: one pair, Aces, Lo: [ 8, 5, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $8.10

Most times me and you bump heads are afternoonish for me, when I've put my 2-year old down for a nap and get an hour or so in on the poker tables (on the days I choose to play at all mid-day). So yeah, you can probably view me as a hit 'n' runner, since you won't see me for more than a half-dozen orbits generally that time of day. How the heck do you get supernova? You must log a ton of hours to avg over 8k VPPs a month. Wow.Horse is usually fpp-free until you hit $1/2 anyways, but I generally find it far, far more compelling. LO8 is pretty stressfull, since I'm generally manufacturing my profit coming from behind/taking the lead in hands where I'm on complete air or backdoor draw city. I'm full of it far more often in LO8 than I am in NLHE, and that's really saying something. :club: And yeah, a nice, hyper, LO8 table is the absolute nuts for fpps.
Last year I got to supernova mid December because I was tilting too much which made me take off a lot of time throughout the year so I wouldn't blow more money. I ended in the black but am much more focused this year. I haven't played anything besides lo8 at my standard limits, except for the vip tourneys which I hate but give me a great reason to play on saturday which is good for me to get more fpps. I play as many tables as possible and so far this year I'm averaging a little above 300 vpps an hour. I put in just under 70 hours in January but will prob cut back a bit due to school. Today I put in about 6.5 hours and picked up 2100 vpps. My sessions were shitty with sets not holding vs morons but with fpps I ended down just a little so it's all good.
I had a note on this opponent: "Call light, with any four cards. Will never give up on bluff/raised turn river on air"PokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $1.00 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP2 with :5c , :jh , :club: , :D1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checksFlop: (5 SB) :ts , :D , :((5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button checksTurn: (2.5 BB) :qh(5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, 3 folds, Hero callsRiver: (4.5 BB) :4h(2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero callsTotal pot: $8.50 (8.5 BB) | Rake: $0.40Results in white below: Button had :club: , :club: , :club: , :D (Hi: high card, Ace, Lo: [ 8, 7, 3, 2, A ]).Hero had :3h , :club: , :club: , :D (Hi: one pair, Aces, Lo: [ 8, 5, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $8.10
wow....NICE READ
This is exactly how awesome I've run the last 24 hours:PokerStars Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $1.00 BB (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP3 with 5 :club: , 2 :club: , A :D , Q :D2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold, MP2 raises, Hero calls, 1 fold, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG+2 callsFlop: (9.5 SB) J :ts , 5 :D , 9 :4h(4 players)UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checksTurn: (4.75 BB) Q :club:(4 players)UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls, 1 foldRiver: (6.75 BB) Q :5c(2 players)UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, UTG+2 3-bets, Hero caps, UTG+2 callsTotal pot: $14.75 (14.75 BB) | Rake: $0.50Results in white below: UTG+2 had 9 :jh , 10 :3h , 8 :club: , 8 :qh (Hi: straight flush, Queen high).Hero had 5 :club: , 2 :D , A :club: , Q :( (Hi: full house, Queens over fives).Outcome: UTG+2 won $14.25
I would guess this has to be a spew more often than not IMO
I would guess this has to be a spew more often than not IMO
depending on villain i might not raise that river.
Well considering flop was checked around *and* I'm heads up... it's close.. Capping def. a mistake on river. Guilty as charged. What do we think of my turn lead? That might be the more noteworthy part of the hand.
Well considering flop was checked around *and* I'm heads up... it's close.. Capping def. a mistake on river. Guilty as charged. What do we think of my turn lead? That might be the more noteworthy part of the hand.
can you fold to a raise?
can you fold to a raise?
Is it profitable to? Maybe I'm just pigheaded and couldn't fathom not betting T8xx on that ragged-one-low-card flop.. much less T8xxdd.. JFC!I think the best play here is to fire flop and then fire turn. If I get raised after doing that, I'm completely done. I probably put him on an underfull at the time, which is retarded, since even a complete mouth breather bets that flop w/ a set. Or you put him on the nut flush... Which sux, cuz at .5/1, ace-high flush can cap that river.Really feels to me like an example of "once you get there you *have* to get max value" biting me in the a$$, since I've become so good at getting max value in these spots with the best hand, and this is a shining example of one time where I can get in huge trouble by hitting my "gin" card in a spot where 2pr might have been best going to the river in the first place.Am I really supposed to check 2 pair on that turn? It's a smallish pot, you have to figure you win it outright 50% of the time. Who on this planet (besides this particular villain) is checking a made straight with a flush redraw on that turn? Arrgh... I wanna kneecap the guy the more i think about this. :club:
Is it profitable to? Maybe I'm just pigheaded and couldn't fathom not betting T8xx on that ragged-one-low-card flop.. much less T8xxdd.. JFC!I think the best play here is to fire flop and then fire turn. If I get raised after doing that, I'm completely done. I probably put him on an underfull at the time, which is retarded, since even a complete mouth breather bets that flop w/ a set. Or you put him on the nut flush... Which sux, cuz at .5/1, ace-high flush can cap that river.Really feels to me like an example of "once you get there you *have* to get max value" biting me in the a$$, since I've become so good at getting max value in these spots with the best hand, and this is a shining example of one time where I can get in huge trouble by hitting my "gin" card in a spot where 2pr might have been best going to the river in the first place.Am I really supposed to check 2 pair on that turn? It's a smallish pot, you have to figure you win it outright 50% of the time. Who on this planet (besides this particular villain) is checking a made straight with a flush redraw on that turn? Arrgh... I wanna kneecap the guy the more i think about this. :club:
i think this hand is a good example of why lo8 isnt as easy as all the literature would have you believe. one thing im curious about is why you didn't 3 bet preflop? as played i do think you should have bet/called the flop. having gotten to the turn the way you did i think that not betting would be stupid. however, you need to fold if somebody raises you. if im the button get ready to get raised by all sorts of crap you beat. against most people you are safe, but against somebody who is actually trying to read hands im not sure.
I actually like how you played the hand the whole way (I can definitely see merit in 3 betting preflop though) The only spot I think you really muffed this up was on the river cap

a pair of 4s is the nizzzutssss :club: PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($2.90)SB ($3.11)BB ($12.34)Hero (UTG) ($3.58)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3 :ts, 4 :club:, 5 :club:, A :4hHero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.47, Hero calls $0.32Flop: ($0.96) 4 :5c, 8 :3h, 9 :((2 players)BB bets $0.96, Hero raises to $3.11 (All-In), BB calls $2.15Turn: ($7.18) K :club:(2 players, 1 all-in)River: ($7.18) 9 :D(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: $7.18 | Rake: $0.35Results in white below: BB had 5 :D, 10 :D, 2 :club:, A :jh (Hi: one pair, nines).Hero had 3 :qh, 4 :club:, 5 :club:, A :D (Hi: two pair, nines and fours).Outcome: Hero won $6.83

i think this hand is a good example of why lo8 isnt as easy as all the literature would have you believe. one thing im curious about is why you didn't 3 bet preflop? as played i do think you should have bet/called the flop. having gotten to the turn the way you did i think that not betting would be stupid. however, you need to fold if somebody raises you. if im the button get ready to get raised by all sorts of crap you beat. against most people you are safe, but against somebody who is actually trying to read hands im not sure.
Varying my play.. 3betting in that spot without much high potential is usually suicide, esp when the 2 bet comes over a limper.. If I am up against AA, I got about the worst hand to try and crack it with lol.Betting the flop is interesting here.. I probably usually do, but that's a huge leak to be betting out there with a backdoor low, no c/f protection, and a pair of fives. Too many stragglers to expect +EV there.
I actually like how you played the hand the whole way (I can definitely see merit in 3 betting preflop though) The only spot I think you really muffed this up was on the river cap
Yeah, if I just call the 3bet he turns over the ace-high flush tho... :club:

rackem stackem yackem :club: PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (MP) ($4.78)CO ($2.69)Button ($4.86)SB ($5.93)BB ($9.26)UTG ($10.02)Preflop: Hero is MP with A :club:, J :club:, 10 :ts, 2 :diamond:UTG calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, Button calls $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10, UTG calls $0.10Flop: ($0.90) 8 :D, 7 :D, 9 :club:(6 players)SB bets $0.90, 1 fold, UTG raises to $3.60, Hero raises to $4.63 (All-In), 2 folds, SB calls $3.73, UTG calls $1.03Turn: ($14.79) 4 :club:(3 players, 1 all-in)SB checks, UTG checksRiver: ($14.79) 3 :club:(3 players, 1 all-in)SB checks, UTG checksTotal pot: $14.79 | Rake: $0.70Results in white below: SB had Q :jh, 5 :4h, 5 :club:, J :( (Hi: one pair, fives).UTG had K :3d, 9 :5c, 4 :3h, 8 :qh (Hi: two pair, nines and eights).Hero had A :club:, J :qc, 10 :D, 2 :D (Hi: flush, Ace high, Lo: [ 7, 4, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $14.09

I think the river is either a fold or a raise here for my villain, but I'll take the callPokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($8.15)SB ($5.22)BB ($5.54)UTG ($8.91)MP ($6.08)Hero (CO) ($7.43)Preflop: Hero is CO with J :qh, A :D, K :club:, 3 :D2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, Button calls $0.15, 1 fold, BB calls $0.10Flop: ($0.47) 6 :club:, 7 :D, 10 :D(3 players)BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 1 foldTurn: ($1.07) K :jh(2 players)Hero bets $0.80, Button calls $0.80River: ($2.67) 7 :ts(2 players)Hero bets $1.45, Button calls $1.45Total pot: $5.57 | Rake: $0.25Results in white below: Button mucked 10 :club:, K :5c, 3 :3h, J :4h (Hi: two pair, Kings and tens).Hero had J :club:, A :(, K :club:, 3 :club: (Hi: flush, Ace high).Outcome: Hero won $5.32

I think the river is either a fold or a raise here for my villain, but I'll take the callPokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comButton ($8.15)SB ($5.22)BB ($5.54)UTG ($8.91)MP ($6.08)Hero (CO) ($7.43)Preflop: Hero is CO with J :qh, A :D, K :club:, 3 :D2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, Button calls $0.15, 1 fold, BB calls $0.10Flop: ($0.47) 6 :club:, 7 :D, 10 :D(3 players)BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, 1 foldTurn: ($1.07) K :jh(2 players)Hero bets $0.80, Button calls $0.80River: ($2.67) 7 :ts(2 players)Hero bets $1.45, Button calls $1.45Total pot: $5.57 | Rake: $0.25Results in white below: Button mucked 10 :club:, K :5c, 3 :3h, J :4h (Hi: two pair, Kings and tens).Hero had J :club:, A :(, K :club:, 3 :club: (Hi: flush, Ace high).Outcome: Hero won $5.32
against certain villains you can miss a lot of value if you don't try to bet the nut flush on paired rivers. a little hand reading, common sense, and the ability to fold to a raise helps also.in your spot c/c might be better, some players will value bet you there more aggressively than others. and of course if you are playing a nit you can c/f.your bet looks like a blocking bet to me or a bluff to me and if i know you can fold to a raise there (and that you will pot a boat, this is a common exploitable pattern) you will get raised off the pot with air. the only thing about that here is that the type of player to do that is not going to get to that river with air, but if the hand went down a little differently this might be relevant.

God this is a frustrating game when you can't make a hand and everyone always thinks you're bluffing so you get called all the ****ing time. Even more fun when you finally make that hand and get outdrawn every single damn time. Guess stars decided instead of the cashout curse to go with the bonus curse, making sure I lost a lot more than that damn 250 and can never get into a milestone hand. If anyone can tell me how to post a graph I'd do it but I'm so inept and tilted bah. I still love this game but it blows to lose all of this months profits and then some. Thank god for fpps and booze I guess.

against certain villains you can miss a lot of value if you don't try to bet the nut flush on paired rivers. a little hand reading, common sense, and the ability to fold to a raise helps also.in your spot c/c might be better, some players will value bet you there more aggressively than others. and of course if you are playing a nit you can c/f.your bet looks like a blocking bet to me or a bluff to me and if i know you can fold to a raise there (and that you will pot a boat, this is a common exploitable pattern) you will get raised off the pot with air. the only thing about that here is that the type of player to do that is not going to get to that river with air, but if the hand went down a little differently this might be relevant.
I could def fold to a raise there. I was trying to stay with about 3/4 size pot bet the whole way through. I think I should of bet a bit more on the end there like say a $1.95ish? This guy in this spot snap called me so I'm not sure if the "majority" of the opponents at this level notice the dif plus or minus a little bit when you're not betting the full pot every time. I don't know............ I am trying to get a bit more in to the PL side of this game and it def takes a dif mindset IMO
God this is a frustrating game when you can't make a hand and everyone always thinks you're bluffing so you get called all the ****ing time. Even more fun when you finally make that hand and get outdrawn every single damn time. Guess stars decided instead of the cashout curse to go with the bonus curse, making sure I lost a lot more than that damn 250 and can never get into a milestone hand. If anyone can tell me how to post a graph I'd do it but I'm so inept and tilted bah. I still love this game but it blows to lose all of this months profits and then some. Thank god for fpps and booze I guess.
all I can say is this month I had my first -$100 losing session and my first $175 winning session, in the same week.This is *not* the time to get down on yourself, there is a small army of below-average mouth-breathers storming the cash tables throwing money around like crazy because of that silly promotion. There is profitz to be made, sir!ed note: The horse is far, far juicier. I mean.. Yeah... I've been avoiding lo8 straight simply because there's 2 regulars to every producer. It's blood from a turnip in comparison.I'm sure PLO8 is swingin' right now thx to the bonus. :club:

this guy thought the deuce was a good card. I'm glad I bet the turn :club: PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comUTG ($6.35)MP ($9.53)CO ($9)Hero (Button) ($5.02)SB ($10)BB ($2.12)Preflop: Hero is Button with A :D, 4 :D, J :D, 5 :D1 fold, MP raises to $0.17, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.17, 2 foldsFlop: ($0.41) 3 :jh, 8 :club:, J :5c(2 players)MP bets $0.41, Hero calls $0.41Turn: ($1.23) 6 :club:(2 players)MP checks, Hero bets $1.18, MP calls $1.18River: ($3.59) 2 :ts(2 players)MP bets $3.44, Hero calls $3.26 (All-In)Total pot: $10.11 | Rake: $0.45Results in white below: Hero had A :club:, 4 :(, J :club:, 5 :club: (Hi: straight, six high, Lo: [ 6, 4, 3, 2, A ]).MP had A :club:, 6 :4h, 5 :3h, A :qh (Hi: one pair, Aces, Lo: [ 6, 5, 3, 2, A ]).Outcome: Hero won $9.66