In Deep Sh*t With The Wife

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people have said it but I'm quoting anti, just cause. You don't have a gambling problem. If you don't come clean to your wife, you have a marital problem. Just do what's right, don't let poker become a point of contention and get better. There is no reason to lose money at this game.
Good point.I think I'd also like to know why the OP didn't just tell his wife to begin with that he was depositing to play online poker and take it out of the household money. Why was it a secret to begin with? Pretty sure, therein, lies your problem.

I for one think you should load up again and take that shot one more time. You're bound to win it all back this time.What's your screen name and what site do you play on / hours /limits ?

What's your screen name and what site do you play on / hours /limits ?
shhh.....stilletto - don't sweat these guys, just pm me your ftp name so we can play some HUfor fun times
Tell her to get a 2nd job to make back the money you lost.
first honest response in this thread

So, what happened OP?? You should probably have gotten online right after telling her to tell us what happened... Pretty standard imo.Also, bonus points if she sees the thread about the whole situation before she knew about it.

I for one think you should load up again and take that shot one more time. You're bound to win it all back this time.What's your screen name and what site do you play on / hours /limits ?
I know you're playing around, but I think it's fair to note that the OP is very likely winning against the other players, just not a rate that overcomes the rake.

Wow at this thread.The people who say that the amount doesn't matter, it's the other action, are correct IMO. It seems that you've lost more than you can realistically afford to be losing and you're hiding it from your friends and family. That means that you have a problemSome people have lost 8x that amount, but it's the way that they do it and their overall approach to the situation that would make it more or less serious than your case.

He obviously hasn't responded back in this thread since he told her because it takes 2-3 days to recover from being beaten severely by his wife's oversized louis vatton purse while wearing her 3k worth of jewelry and kicked in the face by one of her 300 pairs of shoes.

He obviously hasn't responded back in this thread since he told her because it takes 2-3 days to recover from being beaten severely by his wife's oversized louis vatton purse while wearing her 3k worth of jewelry and kicked in the face by one of her 300 pairs of shoes.
I see what you did there.You called him a wuss, saying it'd take 2-3 days to recover. When for most it would take 1-2 max. Very clever.
I see what you did there.You called him a wuss, saying it'd take 2-3 days to recover. When for most it would take 1-2 max. Very clever.
Blah. Can't get anything by you!!

Maybe his wife destroyed his laptop and he is unable to update this thread.My wife has no say in how much money I spend on poker or anything else for that matter. But when she gets mad she threatens to smash my laptop because I spend to much time playing poker. At least I'm home and can have a conversation etc. But her beef is the TIME.

Maybe his wife destroyed his laptop and he is unable to update this thread.My wife has no say in how much money I spend on poker or anything for that matter. But when she gets mad she threatens to smash my laptop because I spend to much time playing poker. At least I'm home and can have a conversation etc. But her beef is the TIME.
I'm so glad that I have my girlfriend in on the ground floor of this whole thing. That, and being a winning player helps immensely.
This is why I deposited twice. And yes, no matter how hard I try, I keep playing outside my roll.
You need to stop playing until you can control that.
It's not losing the money that is the "gambling problem" it is the actions that seem to surround it.You admit that you deceived your wife. You secretly deposited $2000 that was not to be used for poker in hopes of scoring big. That's a problem dude. You keep losing and then depositing more hoping to win it all back. That is a problem. It's a problem because it's happened 4 times and you keep redepositing admittedly to try and win it back to cover your tracks. You admit you grind it out and then decide to go for the big score each time and lose it all. That is a problem. Sure pro's lose more than what you lost but it's their job. They play within their means, they have money on the side to protect them if they bust, etc. You are just trying to hit that one large score, miss and then tell yourself to deposit more and try again, thus losing more and thus putting you in this spot.You clearly state that you fear not being able to play again. That means you are addicted to the game. That along with the above is a sign of a problem. Not dogging on you at all, just showing you what I see based on your posts.And I don't think the $2000 is the deal breaker as someone pointed out. If my wife was secretly taking money out one of our accounts without telling me and blowing it on the horses (since she loves the horses) and not telling me, that would be an issue regardless of the amount of money.
What he said
Don't let a woman tell you what to do, keep playing with your $650 and go on your Vegas trip and have fun!
You're not married, are you ?
I'm so glad that I have my girlfriend in on the ground floor of this whole thing. That, and being a winning player helps immensely.
QFT. Buy them something nice every now and then with your winnings and they're set. Boomshakalaka.
well as my good friend bubba always use to say ..... "I may not be able to get anyone to pay 1 million dollars for a night with my wife like in that movie Indecent Proposal, but I'm pretty damn sure I can get $20 fifty thousand times"
I'd give ya $50, only 19,999 like me and your there.... :club:

It's been stated ad nauseum in this thread, but I think it bears repeating...it's not about the amount of money lost so much as it's about the surrounding issues. Obviously, you have a problem. Sure, spending $1350 over the course of two years on a hobby really isn't that big of a deal (though I think that somewhat depends on your income). Most hobbies cost money and poker is pretty much a hobby for most people. Most people lose some money at it, but they're not losing money they can't afford to and they're treating it as a hobby. Your problem seems to be twofold. To begin with, you basically stole money from your wife and lost it at poker (looking at it from her point of view). Obviously, you're gonna need to pay that back to the school fund somehow. Secondly, you played stakes you couldn't afford to play and that really cost you. Here's what you need to do. First, admit to yourself that you have a problem. This is the first step and the hardest one, trust me...I know. I used to have a fairly large bankroll (for me), I even thought I might go pro. One month I started running bad, and as a result I started tilting. Then I started taking shots at higher stakes to try to get my money back. Long story short, in the course of a couple of weeks I lost about 80% of my roll. It was hard, but I admitted to myself that I had a problem and I basically quit playing serious poker. I pretty much completely quit online for almost a year and it was the right decision. Now, I play low stakes...I have about $200 in my roll right now and I know that I can't redeposit if I lose, so I continue to play low stakes. I mostly break even, what I win isn't significant in any way, but I get my poker fix and I'm not hurting myself at all. This is what you need to do. Fess up to the wife, apologize, withdraw $500 and set up some sort of plan to pay back the other $1500 that you took from the school fund. Keep $100 in your account and play low stakes. If you lose it by playing outside of your roll, take a month off, then redeposit $100 (if you can afford to, and make sure your wife knows what's going on). If you lose the next $100 taking shots, take 2 or 3 months off. Eventually, you'll quit taking shots if you realize that you can't just redeposit when you lose. Poker is a great hobby. There is absolutely no reason your wife shouldn't let you play as long as you're spending reasonable amounts of money on it.

My wife has no say in how much money I spend on poker or anything else for that matter. But when she gets mad she threatens to smash my laptop because I spend to much time playing poker. At least I'm home and can have a conversation etc. But her beef is the TIME.
Since I am also married we both have a say in how the family money get's spend (equallity, what you gonna do?) AND women in general (and thus also my wife) do have an issue if we spend a lot of time playing poker. Here is the solution we worked out:-For any money I desposit (been a while :club: ) she gets the equal amount to go shopping. -I i win some nice pots, she gets a cut to go shopping.-If it takes up to mutch time, i cut back or in special circumstances (scheduld tournies and such) I broker a deal.F.e. lately I won some tickets for interesting tournies (>200K) but they where for three saturdays in a row.So if I could play all three I'd pay for here and 2 friends to go to a spa for a day.Some might called me wipped, but this is just turning a win-loose situation in a win-win AND it would keep my deposits in check since for any $100 i deposit it costs me $200.

A little advice from a man who's been married 15 years: don't lie to your wife. It never ends well. Women HATE being lied to....its their number 1 issue. Even if its a little white lie. Smart married men learn this after about 2-3 years of being married. Just take your lumps up front because its SO MUCH EASIER.edit: this advice is pure gold...even if you don't realize it now.

A little advice from a man who's been married 15 years: don't lie to your wife. It never ends well. Women HATE being lied to....its their number 1 issue. Even if its a little white lie. Smart married men learn this after about 2-3 years of being married. Just take your lumps up front because its SO MUCH EASIER.edit: this advice is pure gold...even if you don't realize it now.
I agree mostly with being honest to your wife. There are acceptions though.If she askes: "Honey, does this dress make me look fat" and you think: "Oh, baby, it's not the dress".Being honest is not a good thing.Another small piece of advice. If you come home and your wife says: Honey, I would like to talk to you.Do not EVER make the mistake of actually talking. Act the same as when you get pulled over by a police car.Look straight ahead and give short yes and no awnsers, until you know what your being accussed of. There is no sence in pleading guilty to a crime they don;t know about yet.
Dude buy a cheap diamond ring or some piece of jewlery and suprise her with it and if pressed on the money lead her to believe that you bought it out of that account.Then tell her you are about to have 650 in your poker account and you are going to withdrawl 500 and put it back into the account. This play should work unless your wife knows her jewlery..Goodluck to you.. I would however start to rethink your online gambling.. smaller withdrawls and smaller limits if you are going to continue to play..
I'll give you the only relationship advice my dad ever gave me.... PULL OUT!
You mean your dad was late doing that, so you happend? :club: (I'm sorry a bit of a cheap shot)